Cat Hunting

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Cat Hunting

Post by Mark » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:14 am

I posted this on a different site, but thought you guys might like it too!

Not the normal type of cat hunting, this one uses tigers....

Well, at least she thinks she's a tiger, ROWR!

This is starting to turn into a tradition I believe, last year she did the same thing- followed me into the woods on opening day. It was pretty funny then as I did not know she was behind me and I went up there in the dark, I turned around to set up my chair and there she was! She can sure see the animals a LOT sooner than I can.

Kinda hard to see, but there is a deer there:

Time for the morning snack!

Naptime!

Anyway, saw 6 today and we're going out again in the morning.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

For Advertising mail webmaster
prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Re: Cat Hunting

Post by prashantsingh » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:22 am

That's a very fine Gun Dog errrr "Gun Cat" you've got there Mark. :D :D

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:55 am

she is quiet huge for a cat.she's just a company,i believe when you have to wait long for a target.
regards
dr.jk

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:34 am

I wonder for how long she will disappear when you shoot?
Do they make ear protectors for cats? :)
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:49 am

xl_target wrote:I wonder for how long she will disappear when you shoot?
Do they make ear protectors for cats? :)
LOL that was what happened last year!

I don't remember but I shot a deer on the 3rd day I think. She was sleeping in my lap and when the deer showed up I forgot about her. Anyway, after the BOOM and when the deer dropped I looked around and she was nowhere to be seen! I got one of my sons and we dragged the deer home, still no cat.

She finally appeared about an hour later and boy was she grouchy! One of the other cats ran up to here (they do that all the time to each other) and she hissed at her and took a swing at her head!

I suspect this year will be similar, but time will tell LOL.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:58 am

Lolllzz, sweet looking cat Mark. Teach her to Point or Fetch lollz and all the hunting doggies will be out of buisness.

And your kitty's chubby sweet too, unlike some evil satanic cats...

Best
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:28 am

Moin she's already getting pretty good at pointing! Quite seriously. The only issue is that she looks at deer and squirrels the same, but it helps keep me alert too. An interesting thing is that she will sense the deer about 5-10 minutes before they show up.

From yesterday-

Someones coming, 2 o'clock...

"He's a little too small, lets wait until next year for this one"

Then today she was forward lookout

Until she got bored

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:38 am

That's why you never show us that cat, would have been stolen long time. WoW just getting envious by the minute - Haji
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:09 am

Mark wrote:Moin she's already getting pretty good at pointing! Quite seriously. The only issue is that she looks at deer and squirrels the same, but it helps keep me alert too. An interesting thing is that she will sense the deer about 5-10 minutes before they show up.

From yesterday-

Someones coming, 2 o'clock...
[ Image ]

"He's a little too small, lets wait until next year for this one"
[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

Then today she was forward lookout
[ Image ]

Until she got bored
[ Image ]

Lollzzz, loved the forward lookout pics :) Don't deer and squirrels detect the presence of a cat and freak out or are they used to having them around. Nice pics, very amusing. Thanks for sharing.

Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

sudhaiob
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sudhaiob » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:12 am

Mark
How far is the hunting ground from your place?
Regs
sudhaiob

veejosh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by veejosh » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:11 am

Mark wrote:I posted this on a different site, but thought you guys might like it too!

Not the normal type of cat hunting, this one uses tigers....

Well, at least she thinks she's a tiger, ROWR!
[ Image ]

This is starting to turn into a tradition I believe, last year she did the same thing- followed me into the woods on opening day. It was pretty funny then as I did not know she was behind me and I went up there in the dark, I turned around to set up my chair and there she was! She can sure see the animals a LOT sooner than I can.

[ Image ]

Kinda hard to see, but there is a deer there:
[ Image ]

Time for the morning snack!
[ Image ]

Naptime!
[ Image ]

[ Image ]

Anyway, saw 6 today and we're going out again in the morning.
Nice photos and thanks for sharing. Its always nice to know you have some great company to share with.

One thing that intrigues me is the lovely camo and then you have a bright orange to make sure you are noticed ---or is it that the animals are totally color blind??

Regards
Vikas

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:16 pm

Great post,Mark.I enjoyed the photos and the narration.

The title should be "Hunting Cat",IMO. :mrgreen: :cheers:

Look forward to the rest of the instalments and all the best with bagging a nice deer.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:00 am

Nice photos and thanks for sharing. Its always nice to know you have some great company to share with.

One thing that intrigues me is the lovely camo and then you have a bright orange to make sure you are noticed ---or is it that the animals are totally color blind??

Regards
Vikas
Vikas,
Blaze Orange is required to be worn by law. How much and where on the body, varies from state to state.
The Blaze Orange is there so other hunters can see you. Believe me it sticks out like a beacon in the woods.
Colors don't seem to affect deer in any way. Movement is what they will pick up with no problem. When they get close enough (depending on the wind) they can also pick up odors really well.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

veejosh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by veejosh » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:18 am

Vikas,
Blaze Orange is required to be worn by law. How much and where on the body, varies from state to state.
The Blaze Orange is there so other hunters can see you. Believe me it sticks out like a beacon in the woods.
Colors don't seem to affect deer in any way. Movement is what they will pick up with no problem. When they get close enough (depending on the wind) they can also pick up odors really well.[/quote]

Thanks for the explanation. But still not clear as to why the camo then ?

Regards,

Vikas

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:55 am

Thanks for the explanation. But still not clear as to why the camo then ?

Regards,

VikasThanks for the explanation. But still not clear as to why the camo then ?

Regards,

Vikas
Military fatigues are some of the toughest clothes available out there. They are the favored clothing for many hunters. They are loose so you can wear long underwear and other layers under them without a problem. If they are well worn, they also don't rustle much when you rub up against brush. The weave is tight enough so they don't catch and rip easily.

As a hunter you want to remain unseen (break up your outline, merge with the background). The camo helps with that. While you have to wear orange, why not maximize the chances that the rest of your body wont be seen. You see how close the deer got to Mark in those photos? It then seems to just saunter off with its tail still tucked between its legs. It was not yet fully alarmed. If it was alarmed, it would have flagged (flipped its tail up, displaying the white underside) and disappeared at a high rate of speed. To a deer the orange vest is just something that is of a slightly different shade than the background but it doesn't apparently see the arms and legs (that it could associate with the human shape) attached to the vest.

If you sit absolutely still against a tree or other object, when they can't see your outline, they will stand there looking at you, first twisting their head one way and the then the other, trying to look at you from different angles to observe your shape. There was a time when I was hunting, when a deer came right up to within about three feet from me. I was sitting against a gnarled and blackened tree stump with my legs drawn up and it couldn't tell my shape. It was a yearling and I didn't want to shoot it as I was holding out for something bigger. It was twisting its head from side to side to try and tell what I was. It knew something was there but it couldn't tell what. I finally said "shoo" softly, twice. Being a yearling with no experience, it just stood there with a "huh?" look on its face. Then I threw a snowball at it and it took off. Camo helps when you don't have a solid object behind you to break up your silhouette.

There was another time when I was sitting over a narrow game trail. I was in a tree and the branch I was on was only about six feet off the ground. My feet were hanging down on either side of the branch but they were right up against the tree. Two does came from behind my tree and they brushed up against the tree. My feet seemed like they were inches from the back of one of them. As they came past the tree onto the trail, they scented me, woofed and took off running but they had no idea I was where I was. So if you don't have an obvious outline, you have an definite advantage.

Many times, later in the afternoon, the squirrels will come out to play and if they see you they will chatter and bark a warning for every other creature to hear. Then the birds will spot you and call out a warning too. If you sit still enough and are sitting against something, eventually they will ignore you. Sometimes it can take half an hour for that to happen. When the light is fading quickly as it does in the fall, it can be annoying. If you're in camo and they can't quite tell what you are, they quiet down sooner.