Minnesota State Parks

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Minnesota State Parks

Post by xl_target » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:26 am

Crispy Trout a la Briha. Mmmm! sounds good.

Afton is a relatively small park as State Parks go, it is only 1620 acres. It has only about 20 miles of trails for hiking.
In the winter, however, you can go anywhere in the park on snowshoes.

We have three main wildflower seasons in MN, one is in the spring, one is at the height of summer and one in the fall. We were there at the height of the summer bloom and the prairie areas were a riot of color.
Minnesota is very green in the summers but here the green was sparkling with little multi-colored jewels. It's too bad that none of my photos have been able to duplicate that visual treat.

The visitors center built into a hill, is surrounded by beds of wildflowers.

The hike was a pleasant one as the trail was shaded by trees. It was only in the Prairie areas that there were no trees.
The park is set in a rolling glacial moraine and bluffland. It contains a combination of oak openings and woodlands. The forests combine upland hardwoods with some pine plantations. Remnant prairies are being expanded and oak savannas are being restored through an aggressive resource management program that makes extensive use of volunteers. Park wildflowers include prairie pasque flowers and woodland ephemerals in the spring; butterfly weed and puccoons on the summer prairie; and sunflowers and blazing star in the fall.
Afton State Park

The route that I chose started out paved. This is a shared trail for bicyclists and hikers.

I stopped every so often to admire some of nature's little jewels.

When I approached this one, I noticed what I took to be a butterfly sucking nectar off a flower.
I wondered why it didn't fly away as I approached closer and closer. Finally when I was really close, I noticed that he had been waylaid by a predatory insect of some kind. This little bandit had the perfect yellow and black camo on for hanging around this particular flower. Nature is amazing, isn't it?

I then took a turn off the paved trail and headed through a patch of Prairie. It's a shame that the camera didn't pick up the wildflowers in the tall grass.

There were handy benches every so often to rest or just to sit on and commune with nature.

In a little while we left the Prairie areas and came to some scenery that is more typical of northern Minnesota.
With tall trees reaching up to the sky on wither side of the trail, there was plenty of shade making the hike a really pleasant stroll. I took it easy as it felt good to breathe the fresh clean air and listen to constant chatter of birds.

A pleasant shaded trail

The trail made an abrupt ninety degree turn to hit the old railroad grade that followed the river bank.

It must not have been a very big railroad. The sides are now overgrown with trees but there is a pleasant wind coming off the St Croix river and the shade is ample. Here I did meet a lady with a backpack on, striding along very purposefully as she went by.

We are on a bluff high above the river here and the silence is only broken by the throb of an occasional power boat on the river.

I found an access to the river bank below and climbed down to stand by the water's edge. This panoramic shot shows a little bit more of the river and its surroundings. To see a larger version of this shot, click HERE

Then, as it was almost noon, it was time to go pick up the girls for lunch, so I speed walked the rest of the way back to the visitor's center.

....more to come....
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:29 am

Hi xl_target,
> What a visual treat & narrative :D
> Thanks for sharing such pristine parts of nature...the sight itself is so invigorating!!!
> May I suggest that you try using either a UV filter 0r a Polarizer to get a little more saturation & warmth to the colors in your pictures...
> Waiting to see & read more....
Briha

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:41 am

Thank you, I am almost there with you! An excellent description of a lovely, exhilarating, short excursion into the wilderness xl_target...look forward to your thoughts on the next leg (there will be, I am guessing, a few pairs of aching legs? :) )
brihacharan wrote:Hi
What a visual treat & narrative :D Thanks for sharing such pristine parts of nature...the sight itself is so invigorating!!!
May I suggest that you try using either a UV filter 0r a Polarizer to get a little more saturation & warmth to the colors in your pictures...
Briha
brihacharan-Ji our friend xl_target has a couple of options when carrying out 'shooting' operations with cameras. Mostly, when time and circumstance will not allow precision, passionate shots, he uses a simple point and shoot pocket camera - which I am guessing took these shots. :D I have used the same one in the past during our jaunts...it is a great little weapon to capture images on the fly!

You should see some of his serious photos - very, very creative and well captured! :cheers:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:32 pm

ckkalyan wrote:Thank you, I am almost there with you! An excellent description of a lovely, exhilarating, short excursion into the wilderness xl_target...look forward to your thoughts on the next leg (there will be, I am guessing, a few pairs of aching legs? :) )
brihacharan wrote:Hi
What a visual treat & narrative :D Thanks for sharing such pristine parts of nature...the sight itself is so invigorating!!!
May I suggest that you try using either a UV filter 0r a Polarizer to get a little more saturation & warmth to the colors in your pictures...
Briha
brihacharan-Ji our friend xl_target has a couple of options when carrying out 'shooting' operations with cameras. Mostly, when time and circumstance will not allow precision, passionate shots, he uses a simple point and shoot pocket camera - which I am guessing took these shots. :D I have used the same one in the past during our jaunts...it is a great little weapon to capture images on the fly!

You should see some of his serious photos - very, very creative and well captured! :cheers:
Yes - True Kalyan...
Those pics of the lighthouse & the Castle on the cliff etc. were awesome.....
My 2 Cents was in the event xl_target used a DSLR & wanted to add some pizaz to the pics....
Briha

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:03 am

Afton State Park
Brihaji,
CK is correct that I am using the point and shoot. I'm just too lazy to carry the DSLR and its extra lens when hiking.
I'm just surprised that this 14MP Nikon Coolpix can at times take such poor photos. I think it has an issue metering properly when there is a wide range of contrast in the photo.
Still, it is a lot easier to carry. I do have a UV filter and a circular polarizer for my DSLR but it it not possible to attach any filters on this little point-and-shoot camera as the lens folds in when it is not in use.

...back to the park....

Right before lunch, I called up an old friend and co-worker who now lives in the Twin Cities. He came over just after lunch so he could hike some of the trails with me.
It was really nice to see him again. We walked down to the swimming beach area and admired the "scenery". Then we set out for the trails. We hiked about 3.5 to 4 miles in a very leisurely fashion, talking and admiring the flora.
Jeff has a keen interest in Prairie wildflowers and knows most of the names of the plants.

We did see three deer but they were behind enough greenery that I could not get the camera to focus on them. They bounded away quickly, showing us the white flags under their tails.

Jeff and I on the beach

A picnic area on the bluffs overlooking the river

A bee on a thistle.

A Monarch butterfly on a Prairie Thistle. (image from here)
We did see some Monarch butterflies here. Just ten years ago, they would have covered the Prairie in vast numbers at this time of year.
However, their breeding grounds in Mexico are slowly being destroyed and we see fewer and fewer of them every year. Changing agricultural practices in the US have practically eliminated the Milkweed that Monarchs need to lay their eggs in. I try not to cut down standing Milkweed in my yard, even though I think that they are unsightly.

"Rattlesnake Master"
This amazing native prairie plant was said to have been chewed and spread on the hands of native Indians, allowing them to “master” rattlesnakes without any ill effect.

White False indigo

By 3:30 pm, it was time to go and pick up the girls and head out so we walked back to the visitor center, gathered up the girls and went out to a nearby town to eat supper.
This is an old river town called Hastings that has a beautifully restored downtown area. All old buildings and refurbished streets.
When we came out of the restaurant, I took a photo of this rail bridge built by the Milwaukee Road (Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad)

The bridge raises up and down to permit river traffic. Notice the massive counterweights on each tower.

We then headed home after a full day.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:38 am

[quote="xl_target"]
Afton State Park

Brihaji,
CK is correct that I am using the point and shoot. I'm just too lazy to carry the DSLR and its extra lens when hiking.
I'm just surprised that this 14MP Nikon Coolpix can at times take such poor photos. I think it has an issue metering properly when there is a wide range of contrast in the photo.
Still, it is a lot easier to carry. I do have a UV filter and a circular polarizer for my DSLR but it it not possible to attach any filters on this little point-and-shoot camera as the lens folds in when it is not in use.

xl_target wrote: I think it has an issue metering properly when there is a wide range of contrast in the photo.

You're right in this diagnosis!
Yet your compositions of frames are truly a delight...as there is a story telling factor behind each shot...and this can happen only when there is an 'emotive interface' between the photographer & the subject :D
Thanks again for this wonderful 'walk through' nature's bounty :D
You're lucky to have the time & where with all to indulge in communing with pristine nature!!!!
Keep them coming.....
Briha

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:26 pm

XL,

I haven't been able to go on a long holiday in two years... that's right 2 years ... because of work pressure.

This excellent post and the ones you and CK posted in these two years really made be breathe some fresh country air :D

Sincere thanks :D :D

TC

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:59 pm

TC wrote:XL,
I haven't been able to go on a long holiday in TWO years... that's right 2 years ... because of work pressure.
This excellent post and the ones you and CK posted in these two years really made be breathe some fresh country air :D
TC
I haven't been able to go on a long holiday in TWO years... that's right 2 years ... because of work pressure.

TC!
The above statement of yours made me recall an "AD" I saw a long time go....
The visual was the night shot of traffic heading home - street lights / tail lights....
The copy read " Between your workplace & home there is something called a vacation"....
Work never ends - Pack your bags & head for the hills....
Caution: Don't leave my "Daughter" behind ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
Briha

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:24 am

TC wrote:XL,

I haven't been able to go on a long holiday in two years... that's right 2 years ... because of work pressure.

TC
TC,
If you come over here, we'll try and give you a holiday to remember.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:08 pm

Nice pictures xl_target I am sure you really enjoyed that jaunt with nature! :D Thanks for sharing!

We are all going 'natural' in Aug - what's up? :D

I took this inspiration from from XL to visit a close-by 200 acre Nature Park by my home - just a 15 min walk! What a place - I never knew it existed in the 3 years that I was in Canada?! OK - no hijacking threads now - Discipline - CK, discipline!!

The Ad says Boggy, Foggy, Lulu

http://www.richmond.ca/parks/parks/naturepark/about.htm

TC, my friend, I understand exactly what you are saying; After taking up an assignment in the Middle East in 1995 my first real holiday with my family was in 2003 - Eight Years Later!! :shock:

However, I hasten to add, holidays truly, are all in the mind - you can take off for one - whenever you like!

As it is now, I am glad that xl_target and I were able to contribute somewhat to your (Briha's and some few others) virtual experience! :D

:cheers:

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:59 pm

TC,
If you come over here, we'll try and give you a holiday to remember.
XL, I don't have the faintest doubt about that :lol:

Thank you so much for putting in in black and white.... :D

TC
TC, my friend, I understand exactly what you are saying; After taking up an assignment in the Middle East in 1995 my first real holiday with my family was in 2003 - Eight Years Later!! :shock:

However, I hasten to add, holidays truly, are all in the mind - you can take off for one - whenever you like!

As it is now, I am glad that xl_target and I were able to contribute somewhat to your (Briha's and some few others) virtual experience! :D

Kalyan Da,
I too have gone through a patch like that ... long story... will share someday

And I must admit that these threads and several others by you and XL do work like magical therapy on the mind :D :D

Thanks... both of you

TC

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:11 pm

You are very welcome TC - anytime, any place!

Till you you added me on Google - I thought TC meant - Top Cat (that's how dumb I am) Duh! - :lol:

Now I know better!

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:37 pm

ckkalyan wrote:You are very welcome TC - anytime, any place!

Till you you added me on Google - I thought TC meant - Top Cat (that's how dumb I am) Duh! - :lol:

Now I know better!
:lol: :lol: .... Kalyan Da given your love for guns I thought you might think TC stood for Thomson Contender ... try them some day. you will be bowled over !!

TC

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:31 am

The Superior Hiking Trail
The Superior Hiking Trail is technically not a Minnesota State Park but it does run through parts of seven of them.

The Superior Hiking Trail is a 296-mile (442 km) footpath that largely follows the rocky ridgeline above Lake Superior on Minnesota's North Shore from Duluth to the Canadian border. There are trailhead parking lots every 5-10 miles making it ideal for both day hikes and backpack camping. There are 92 backcountry campsites with no fees, reservations or permits required to hike or camp on the trail.

There are two primary sections to the SHT.
The southern section of the trail comprises 39 miles (63 km) and starts southwest of the city of Duluth at a trail head in Jay Cooke State Park. The trail
extends to the northeast through the Spirit Mountain Recreation area, through Brewer Park, Enger Park, the Historic Downtown Area, Canal Park, the Lakewalk, and Hartley Nature Center,[6] before it ends at a trailhead located on Martin Road on the north side of the city.
The northern portion of the trail is 255 continuous miles (378 km) and begins at the Martin Road Trailhead on the northern boundary of the City of Duluth.

From there, the trail extends to the northeast along Lake Superior through seven state parks, including Gooseberry Falls State Park, Split Rock Lighthouse and Tettegouche State Park. This section of the SHT passes near the towns of Lutsen and Grand Marais, and ends just before the Canada – United States border.

In December, 2000, Backpacker Magazine named the Superior Hiking Trail the trail with the "Best Trail/Camp/Shelter conditions," the trail with the "Best Signage" in the country, and one of the most scenic trails in the nation.
According to Andrew Skurka of National Geographic, Superior Hiking Trail is one of his ten favorite hikes in America
In the May, 2005, Readers Digest listed Superior Hiking Trail as one of the "5 Best Hikes in America".
Link
Link

Last weekend, my daughter and I decided to hike a small portion of the SHT for our annual Father/Daughter outdoor adventure. We spent a few weeks gathering up equipment and getting ready for the hike. My old trail shoes were looking rather worse for wear so I bought a new pair of lightweight hikers. I wore them practically everyday before the hike to break them in. They are very light and have excellent arch support.
Now that my daughter has a real job and actually gets vacations :), we took a few days off and headed to Northern Minnesota. My inlaws live in the area, so my wife dropped us off at Gooseberry State Park for the start of our three day excursion.

As you read earlier in this thread, I visited Gooseberry and Split Rock over the fourth of July weekend.I didn't think that the trail would be to rugged, as the portions abutting the State Park Trails seemed pretty mild (I know, I know, when you make assumptions....). The actual trail itself often follows the creeks or rivers so elevations can be rapid and dramatic. Some area are dry, some are boggy and some are covered by loose scree. In some areas that were really steep, they had timbers half buried in the slope to make a kind of ladder.

The trail is about 18 inches wide in most places

Loose scree on the trail

Day 1

After crossing under the Highway 61 bridge at Gooseberry Falls State Park, we hit the junction of the Superior Hiking Trail and set off.

The junction of the trail at Gooseberry Falls State Park.

We travelled over some almost prairie type grassland areas before the trail started climbing. It was hot and close in the lower lying areas and the sweat was pouring off me. I couldn't find where I had packed my bandanna so I tied a shirt over my head to keep the sweat out of my eyes. At first the climb was gradual and then it got steeper, but after a while it was just one long continuous climb, till we surmounted the ridge. On top of the ridge there was a beautiful breeze and the view stretched to the horizon, encompassing Lake Superior. I tell you that the water looked very inviting, even though it was so far away. We shucked our packs and stayed a while.

The view from the ridge. The blue in the background is Lake Superior.
(click on the image to view a larger image)

On the way there we made two new friends, BG and JJ, travelling together. They were Police Officers from a neighboring state, who take annual hiking trips together. They were heading the same way as us and we shared campsites with them on both nights. They kept us entertained with a host of stories and generously shared their equipment with us. Companions like this made life on the trail tremendous fun.

A photo taken (by BG) of us, on top of the ridge. That's about 7 or 8 miles worth of sweat on us.

After that we headed off towards our first campsite. We passed through gorgeous scenery with some amazing vistas.
The Split Rock River in one of its more tranquil stretches

A split waterfall

There were hundreds of little waterfalls on the Split Rock River.

When we reached the first camp site, it was occupied so we headed off to the next. A sign said; "Next camp site 0.4 miles". Let me tell you it was one of the longest 0.4 miles that I have ever traveled. The trail just was UP and down and UP and down; with a lot more up than down. We tottered into the camp site which had four tent pads and set up our Marmot on one of the pads. There was BG already in camp, lounging in a camp chair, drinking a cup of hot soup. We had passed JJ on the trail earlier so he wasn't there yet. We figured he stopped to admire the view.

The first night's camp site.

We unpacked the stove and a pot and started to heat up a meal.

The water point was across the trail and down the side of a hill. The water was crystal clear as we deployed our little filter and filled up on water. I had a 2 Liter reservoir in my pack and a 1L bottle on the side. My daughter also had a 2L bottle. So we could carry 5 Liters of water. It took about five to ten minutes to get our fill of water with the little pump filter.

The flowing water was crystal clear.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:01 am

XL, those Great Lakes -- nothing like them, especially up where you are. I have a friend up there in Superior, but I've never been up in that country. It looks wonderful -- I must go sometime! Beautiful pics -- thanks for sharing them.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman