Minnesota State Parks

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Minnesota State Parks

Post by xl_target » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:11 am

Atul,
A $25 annual pass gets you into all Minnesota State Parks. See the very first post in this thread for a photo of it. You put it on your car windshield.
So that is the payment, if you count it as such. Once you have the pass, there is no other charge to enter and use the facilities. Maps and brochures are free from the park office. Firewood is $4.00 bundle. A bundle will usually get you through one night.
An overnight campsite will cost you $17-$22.
The rest of the funds to operate the parks, to pay salaries, etc comes from Fishing and Hunting licenses and taxes on the purchase of ammunition, fishing tackle and firearms. There are also some State Tax dollars involved here.
You see what I mean when I say that the average users pays very little in direct fees to support the system.

I've never had anyone steal anything from any of my campsites. That doesn't mean that it cannot happen but it is not the norm.
State Parks are pretty safe in Minnesota. Even the State Parks close to large metro areas are pretty safe.
Keep in mind that this is Minnesota and not Detroit or Washington DC.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Nerstrand-Big Woods State Park

Post by xl_target » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:09 am

Falling a little behind here in relating my hikes. I've done several since this one

On July 12, my friend Jeff and I visited Nerstrand-Big Woods State Park for a short day hike.
We got there about eight in the morning as the forecast called for a really hot and humid day.

Wildlife
Red and hoary woodland bats, raccoon, fox, deer, and red-bellied garter snakes are just a few of the residents in the park. Bird watchers will enjoy viewing scarlet tanagers, rose-breasted grosbeaks, indigo buntings, bobolinks, meadowlarks, and seven species of woodpeckers, including the "Species of Special Concern" red-headed woodpecker.

History
When the first settlers arrived in 1854, they discovered an island of woods in the vast oak savanna prairie which now makes up Nerstrand Big Woods State Park. Sugar maple, basswood, oak, hickory, aspen, elm, ash, and ironwood trees shade the land. Over 200 varieties of wildflowers, along with countless varieties of ferns and mushrooms grew in the Big Woods.

Geology
Nerstrand Big Woods State Park is comprised of two, nearly horizontal, layers: a layer of glacial drift about 150 feet thick overlying a layer of Platteville Limestone. The limestone is visible only where the drift has been eroded away at Hidden Falls and along Prairie Creek.

Landscape
Nerstrand Big Woods State Park is spectacular for wildflower viewing in the spring. Feast your eyes on sharp-lobed hepatica and the dwarf trout lily which blooms in April, and the dwarf trout lily, which is a federally-listed endangered wildflower.
info from here

The Dwarf Trout Lily is an extremely rare plant and only grows in two counties in Minnesota. It is found in the park but we did not see any.
The other attraction is "Hidden Falls. It is not very big but it certainly is pretty. There are about 11 miles of hiking trails in the park and we did about eight miles before it got really hot.

The trails are well maintained and easy to traverse.

You can see the height of the trees here.
For being old growth trees, they are not very large in diameter but are immensely tall.
Those of us who grew up on Kipling, Corbett and Anderson think about what might be lurking in the heavy undergrowth beside the trail :roll:
.... but this is Minnesota and there is nothing here that is a threat unless you disturb an irritable skunk. :D

Because of the canopy, it is a warm steamy jungle here that encourages all kinds of organisms to grow.

Hitting close to the peak of the wildflower bloom was fortunate.
The undergrowth and open areas were a riot of color.

It is unfortunate that the camera did not capture the vividness of the color.

Hidden falls is one of the attractions of the park.

We paused for a while by the falls and listened to the soothing fall of the water.

You can always tell when the Rangers are proud of their park and enjoy their jobs.
There is also that Scandinavian pride in doing the best job that you can.
The picnic area was extremely well taken care of, with manicured lawns and bushes.
An extremely pleasant spot to relax and eat a leisurely meal.

We stopped and cooked a meal after our hike.
Even on our day hikes, we carry water, food and our stoves so we can setup and cook a meal after we are done.
As fall comes, we will also carry tea and coffee so we can brew a quick one up when we come to a scenic spot and sit for a while.

The meal this day was mushroom curry with cashews on Brown Rice, seasoned with Indian Spices.
It was followed by a cup of Costa Rican coffee.

By this time it was starting to get pretty warm, even in the shade, so we headed back home.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:30 am

xl-target wrote in conclusion: The meal this day was mushroom curry with cashews on Brown Rice, seasoned with Indian Spices. It was followed by a cup of Costa Rican coffee.

In one sentence you've captured the very essence of a delightful trek among the pristine woods, fresh air, gurgling streams, the sounds of fauna & what have you!!!!
Thanks for sharing your experience, this virtual walk through the woods for me was a pure delight!
Briha

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:37 pm

brihacharan wrote:xl-target wrote in conclusion: The meal this day was mushroom curry with cashews on Brown Rice, seasoned with Indian Spices. It was followed by a cup of Costa Rican coffee.

In one sentence you've captured the very essence of a delightful trek among the pristine woods, fresh air, gurgling streams, the sounds of fauna & what have you!!!!
Thanks for sharing your experience, this virtual walk through the woods for me was a pure delight!
Briha
Well said Brihacharan-Ji! :D

Now, how about a soothing, half hour, soak under that hidden waterfall - delicious, yes? :lol:

Many thanks for taking the time to share xl_target - you must have had a superb time. (y)
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:00 am

Brihaji and Ck,
Thank for your comments.
I wish some of you could share these little hikes with me, in reality.
Minnesota is truly beautiful in the summer.

Winter; now that is a different story... it does have its own beauty but it is not for everyone.
I'll try and visit some of these parks in the winter (on snowshoes). They look totally different then.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:15 am

You are very Lucky XL to live in a country to enjoy your interests without any problem and without scores of curious onlookers.

I kick myself daily for not moving to US when I had a chance.

Please keep on doing it

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:19 am

xl_target wrote:Brihaji and Ck,
Thank for your comments.

Winter; now that is a different story... it does have its own beauty but it is not for everyone.
I'll try and visit some of these parks in the winter (on snowshoes). They look totally different then.
There is the word that came to mind that, I could not enunciate when I saw the image of your friend Jeff, on the park bench...it all comes back to me now - 'Sylvan' (probably goes well with 'Glades')!

Hey, am I seeing things or is there really a Maple Leaf on that rustic, Nerstrand park sign? :lol:

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:42 am

kanwar76 wrote:You are very Lucky XL to live in a country to enjoy your interests without any problem and without scores of curious onlookers.

I kick myself daily for not moving to US when I had a chance.

Please keep on doing it

-Inder
Thanks Inder,
Minnesota has a very small population; under 5.5 million, with sixty percent of it being concentrated around the twin cities of Minneapolis-St Paul.
The rest of Minnesota is relatively sparsely populated.
The landmass is 86,943 sq. miles out of which 7,328 sq miles is water.
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Division of Parks and Trails system includes 67 state parks and 9 recreation areas, 8 waysides, 13 state trails, and 62 state forest camp grounds and day-use areas.

So there are plenty of areas to roam and often you don't see anyone there, especially if you pick some of the lesser known parks and trails. Minnesotans seem to be quite civic minded so you don't see much, if any, garbage around our state's recreation areas. I carry garbage bags with me to pack out any stuff I see discarded by the trails. Many people do.

Even though our summer's are short, I try to spend as much time as I can outdoors.
There are not many other places that I would like to live even though I have lived on three continents and have been in several other countries.
There are parts of Minnesota (like the Boundary Water Canoe Area) that I feel are some of the most beautiful places on this earth.
That being said, there are large parts of the USA that I have never seen.

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:58 am

XL,

What a beautiful place and i can only imagine how wonderful it will be to walk these trails and woods. Thanks for sharing your trips with us- pure delight!

Cheers,
SS

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:19 am

ckkalyan wrote:
xl_target wrote:Brihaji and Ck,
Thank for your comments.

There is the word that came to mind that, I could not enunciate when I saw the image of your friend Jeff, on the park bench...it all comes back to me now - 'Sylvan' (probably goes well with 'Glades')!

Hey, am I seeing things or is there really a Maple Leaf on that rustic, Nerstrand park sign? :lol:
Sylvan Glades? Some parts of MN most certainly certainly fit that description.

As for the Maple, it is common in Minnesota.
Look at the third photo down and take a look at some of the leaves on the ground (by the mushrooms).

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:31 pm

xl_target wrote:
Brihaji and Ck,
Minnesota is truly beautiful in the summer. As for the Maple, it is common in Minnesota.

Wishes, wishes, wishes....will they ever come true!!!!
As for Maple.....Reminded me of "Truffles topped with Maple Syrup"!!!!!!
Yum Yum!!!!
Briha

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:23 am

AgentDoubleS wrote:XL,

What a beautiful place and i can only imagine how wonderful it will be to walk these trails and woods. Thanks for sharing your trips with us- pure delight!

Cheers,
SS
You're welcome SS.

Added in 2 minutes 40 seconds:
brihacharan wrote:xl_target wrote:
Wishes, wishes, wishes....will they ever come true!!!!
As for Maple.....Reminded me of "Truffles topped with Maple Syrup"!!!!!!
Yum Yum!!!!
Briha
...or Maple Nut Ice Cream with the sweetness of Maple syrup and the salty crunchiness of nuts. Mmmm!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Running the Blue Earth River

Post by xl_target » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:50 am

In the USA, there are National Parks, State Parks and County Parks.
There are even City Parks that are maintained for the enjoyment of the public. Some of these City Parks are large enough to have a campground and a picnic area near some prominent natural feature or amenity.

On July 19th 2015, my company threw a party for its employees. Everyone was invited, along with their families. The venue was the small town of Rapidan, Minnesota. There are basically two things in Rapidan; one is the Dam and the other is a restaurant called “The Dam Store" :).
The Dam Store "menu" consists of dam hamburgers, dam fries, dam pie...you get the picture.
You can buy a t-shirt that says "The best dam store on a dam site".

A 1930's postcard of the Dam

The Dam has been around forever and spans the Blue Earth River.
This was taken in the spring when the water was really flowing.

The highway ran over the top of the dam but today the little carriage road isn’t enough and a modern bridge carries traffic over the river.

We had been having some uncertain weather but that Sunday was a beautiful day with blue skies and just a few scattered clouds. An outfitter was hired who provided guides, instruction and equipment for the day. After the big event, everyone settled down to a catered meal where the meat was barbecued on the spot.

There was a “bouncy house” rented for the day. It was placed in the Rapidan Park near the picnic shelters.

The Blue Earth River viewed from the top of the dam.

The big event, that an outfitter had been hired for, was a kayak/canoe trip down the Blue Earth river.

After a safety briefing and some paddling instruction, everyone meandered down to the bottom of the dam with their selected watercraft in tow.

lined up and ready to go

Setting out at the base of the dam

Shooting down the river. At times it was surprisingly quick.
The water flowed over the rocks causing humps in the river. You would shoot over them and drop down the other side.

Being picked up by the Outfitter at the end of the trip.
Everyone and their kids had a great time.

This was a blast and I'm going to have to do this more often.
Next summer, for sure.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:49 am

xl_target wrote: This was a blast and I'm going to have to do this more often. Next summer, for sure.

Wow! Have a rollicking time.....Lucky You!!!!
Briha

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:27 am

Dam what a lovely post xl_target! Super pictures, fun times in canoes and great fortune to have fine weather to support the outing! :D

I remember the last time I was with xl_target in Minnesota a couple of years ago - I was really fascinated by the name 'Blue Earth' that I saw on signs along the highways, so I asked him about it. The answer was equally intriguing, dark earth, fertile earth etc. - clay has always fascinated me! :)
The river was named for former deposits of bluish-green clay, no longer visible, along the banks of the river. The stream was called Makato Osa Watapa by the Dakota Indians, meaning "the river where blue earth is gathered.
Source from Wiki