JEEP LOVERS AND OTR THREAD

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

JEEP LOVERS AND OTR THREAD

Post by Moin. » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:30 pm

Gentlemen; Not sure this qualifies to be in this section of IFG. Any jeep lovers/builders, OTR experts in the IFG forum.
I've fallen heads over heels in love with the Ex Army MM550 XD after seeing One upclose, makes my Fabia looks so damn Girlie.. :D ... I've been in two minds really whether to save some $$, go for one and have it refurbished and it ends up being a never ending money pit or save some more and go in for a Thar in a year or two...

Went through some wonderful threads in Team BHP but not a memeber there. Been doing a bit of net searching and these TANKS are priced around 2 Lac in mumbai and in terrible condition. Any IFG members into Jeeps/OTR ( I know one Veteran Memeber is :mrgreen: ). Please do share all possible gyaan/pics/feedback and guidance.

here's the MM550 that I'm referring to....

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: JEEP LOVERS AND OTR THREAD

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:46 pm

Personally I would avoid buying a second hand jeep that is priced at two lacs and also in terrible condition.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:52 pm

Moin,

Somehow, I had a gut feel this was coming up.

Anyway, here are some pics of mine:
SomeJeeps 001 (Small).jpg
The one in the foreground is a XD550 with a BA10 tranny. The one behind is a MM540 with a Toyota 14B engine (from the DCM Toyota trucks!) and the rear in white is my own, a stock MM550 with a luxury, a company fitted A/C! Anyway I bought 2 of these through a tender from WHO, have retained one and sold the other.

I've helped my friends build and tune their jeeps and am looking for an ex-army jeep myself now.

Here's my daily driver.
AccidentJeep 001 (Small).jpg
AccidentJeep 002 (Small).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

Prabhath
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Prabhath » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:14 pm

Moin,

Owned a MM540 4x4 for quite sometime. Try to pick up a good used one for a decent price and get it done up. Took a test drive in the Thar recently. Trust me, not worth the money. The interiors are very cheaply put together and is not worth the price M&M are expecting for it. Neither is it built like the MM 540s and the 550s.

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:38 pm

Hmm, Prabath, that's Thar off my list then! Team BHP too weren't much impressed by what was being offered for the price

Moin, I'd recommend Mundaire's post on the jeep thread on IFG. He did something similar to what you were thinking, and has shared his experience in great detail. Can't say it had a happy ending.
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

Bruno22
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bruno22 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:41 pm

Katana wrote:Moin,

Anyway, here are some pics of mine:
Birds of a feather...I have had three jeeps so far. A 1959 low bonnet Willys, A MM540 with hard top and the Mahaindra Quadro which was the forerunner of the Thar as we know it now. All sold now as I have tasted the luxury and comfort of a big Japanese SUV!!
Will try and dig up some pics and post them.

katana I like the simplicity and stock nature of your ride. Neat clean lines. When your 18 and get your first jeep all you want to do is stick on stuff like grills, roll bars, shovels, lights and the odd kitchen sink. Thats what happened to me!
THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN PEACE, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN WAR.

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:33 am

Bruno22,

When I purchased the 2 jeeps from WHO, the driver very sheepishly requested me not remove the Gods that he had pasted under the dash and the 'mata ki chunari' that he had put on the steering! Leave alone these, I have not even changed the seat covers!

But I must commend my local Mahindra dealer. It is largely thanks to him that I manage to maintain my vehicles in their originality.

Meanwhile, my father is a die hard Bolero fan. We even have the Willys MB that my grandfather bought post WW2.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:40 pm

Always wanted a mm540 or 550, how is the maintenance on these and also are they fuel guzzlers?
Thanks
/S/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

puru baruah
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by puru baruah » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:19 pm

i think you should go for the Brand new Mahindra Thar,,its a civilian version of the MM 550 but with a much more powerful 2.5l crde engine cranking out a whooping 105 bhp and it has the 4x4 independent suspension of the scorpio which gives it a near better ground clearence of 200mm ....it has all the looks u want
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vwuLjslQGek/T ... 2BThar.jpg
http://www.autoplugged.com/wp-content/u ... ader-1.jpg
http://www.indifun.com/wp-content/uploa ... 03x500.jpg
http://static.zigwheels.com/media/photo ... 40x480.jpg

puru baruah
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by puru baruah » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:58 pm

and i dnt think going for a 2 hand is a good idea,,,,,and on xbh ,,its peoples personal opinion ,, take a test drive first,,,,give ur own opinion,,, u may like it

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:42 pm

Bruno,

The low bonnet that you mention would have been a Mahindra & Mohammed (yes that is their true name, therefore M&M) assembled CJ2A. These are extremely rare in today's times. The Quadro was a short lived 'experiment' from Mahindra. You've had a pair of rare jeeps pass your hands!

Sniper,

The 540/550 is a fairly decent and cost effective transport option, and they definitely are not fuel guzzlers. Ever wondered why there are so many jeeps in India? :) Obviously so many people have their faith in them.

What one really requires is a nice dose of TLC on a daily basis to keep them running smoothly :)
Last edited by Katana on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prabhath
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Prabhath » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:30 pm

@Sniper......they are not fuel guzzlers and cost very little to maintain. All you need to find is a good mechanic who understands Jeeps.

@Hamiclar........very sensible decision about the Thar. You might want to check out the Bolero though. A very good value for money vehicle with a few creature comforts as well.

spin_drift
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by spin_drift » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:18 pm

I would love to get a WW2 era jeep, possibly a a Willys MB or a Ford GPW....
I believe in second chances… it’s called reloading

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:23 pm

[quote="Katana"]Moin,

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The one in the foreground is a XD550 with a BA10 tranny. The one behind is a MM540 with a Toyota 14B engine (from the DCM Toyota trucks!) and the rear in white is my own, a stock MM550 with a luxury, a company fitted A/C!

Awesome vehicles Katanaji, I'm hooked and hooked for life.

Like Bruno mentioned there's something very appealing in keep in the Classic Jeep in it's stock form

Let's see, there's one possible for sale very near where I live, trying to find out the selling price. It's a monster and built like a TANK.....

Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:28 pm

Prabhath wrote:Moin,

Owned a MM540 4x4 for quite sometime. Try to pick up a good used one for a decent price and get it done up. Took a test drive in the Thar recently. Trust me, not worth the money. The interiors are very cheaply put tzer and is not worth the price M&M are expecting for it. Neither is it built like the MM 540s and the 550s.

Noted with thanks prabhat, I did read the review on Team BHP, I'm socuting the market, hard to get in Mumbai. DOn't see many around. Lot's and Lots of Willy's though......

Best Regards
Moin.