JEEP LOVERS AND OTR THREAD

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Re: JEEP LOVERS AND OTR THREAD

Post by Moin. » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:34 pm

Here's M&M's answer to the Humvee !!!

Here's the source

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/sh ... hicle-quot

Last edited by Moin. on Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sukhraj Pannu
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Sukhraj Pannu » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:04 pm

Moin. wrote:Here's M&M answer to the Humvee !!!

Here's the source

[ Image ]
waiting for it eagerly to launch in civilian market, if M&M people do so and army allow them.

Regards
Cowards die a thousand deaths. The valiant taste of death but once.

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:20 pm

aglover wrote:
1998 model MM550DP, 2WD, single owner, done about 50K KMS, but in very poor condition.Asking price INR 92,000/-
92k for that scrap is too much Moin bhai even for interior Maharashtra rate standard. Mumbai registered (or used in Mumbai) vehicles generally have lower price than rest of Maharashtra due to the fact that they are used extensively, rusted due to saliferous air and changed hand through a number of owners .
You can get a 2001-02 model 4x4 MM Jeep or MM Marshall in good condition for that price . Many times these have original or retro fitted DI engines, which gives good mileage and are low on maintenance, but they will surely lack power steering , hydraulic assisted clutch which could be a big issue if you have only used PS and hydraulic clutch all your life. If you are thinking of Thar, its not worth the price IMO (7.5 l for CRDe 4x4).

Absolutely aglover, It's just the "Khujli" :mrgreen: to check out what's available in the market and at what price, had no intention of buying this. I spoke to someone who's registered to bid for Army Auction jeeps and stay's in my locality. He's got a 550 and ex army gypsy. from auction and is having them refurbished, meeting him on Tuesday.

There's one Ex Army 550 Mah. Registered 2001 model in pretty good nick, saw it but the owner was not around. Asking price is 1.8 Lac, owner say's it's mechanically very sound, only the tyres are worn out. Will take pics and post.

Have gone through the Thar reviews at Team BHP, lot of Thar bashing on the losuy interiors etc etc, but it's the ony vechicle available in this segment. The Bolero's and the Armadas don't stir the heart like the Thar does. Plus no headaches of continuous maintainence and regular visits to the mechanic, spare time comes at a premium and my understanding of autombile mechanical's is extremely limited.

Best Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Terminator-X
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Terminator-X » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:17 am

My 4X4 Willys low bonnet Jeep & my 4X4 Mitsubishi tractor at farm. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:13 am

I have wanted to ask this question for quite awhile in this thread, but finally have gotten up enough gumption to do so!

Please, if you can, identify this vehicle:

In the movie Dil To Pagal Hai, starring SRK and Madhuri, SRK drives a very small 4x4 type vehicle that is rounded in shape and looks like a cross between a Volkswagen bug and a little Isuzu or something. I have tried to google a pic of it to post, but have never been able to find one that includes a shot of the car. I was hoping that maybe someone familiar with the movie and with automobiles could tell me something about it.

The one in the movie looks modified, as if it has been raised and fat tires have been added.

(Note: Yes, I have watched Dil To Pagal Hai, a number of times, in fact. Yes, I like it very much, as I do any movie with Madhuri, especially if she is dancing. Yes, my friends at work, Indian and non-Indian, think I have terrible taste in movies and give me grief about it. One sent me to an artistic independent film festival. I liked it, but unfortunately for him, just added that taste to the one for Bollywood, not replacing it. No, I won't change!)

Thank you, brothers!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:34 am

Try teambhp.com
Last edited by Safarigent on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
To Excellence through Diligence.

sandy_3126
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sandy_3126 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:56 am

timmy wrote:I have wanted to ask this question for quite awhile in this thread, but finally have gotten up enough gumption to do so!

Please, if you can, identify this vehicle:

In the movie Dil To Pagal Hai, starring SRK and Madhuri, SRK drives a very small 4x4 type vehicle that is rounded in shape and looks like a cross between a Volkswagen bug and a little Isuzu or something. I have tried to google a pic of it to post, but have never been able to find one that includes a shot of the car. I was hoping that maybe someone familiar with the movie and with automobiles could tell me something about it.

The one in the movie looks modified, as if it has been raised and fat tires have been added.

(Note: Yes, I have watched Dil To Pagal Hai, a number of times, in fact. Yes, I like it very much, as I do any movie with Madhuri, especially if she is dancing. Yes, my friends at work, Indian and non-Indian, think I have terrible taste in movies and give me grief about it. One sent me to an artistic independent film festival. I liked it, but unfortunately for him, just added that taste to the one for Bollywood, not replacing it. No, I won't change!)

Thank you, brothers!
I think it was a DC modified Hyundai Santro convertable with raised chasis and oversize tires

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:49 am

sandy, I could only find pics of the 4 door Hyundai Santro. Here are two pics of the car. It looks like the roof has been chopped as well, since the frames above the door windows have been cut.

“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

seedha.admi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by seedha.admi » Fri May 03, 2013 7:42 pm

Do modified jeeps break down on long trips? I mean I want to get one but don't know if it is the right choice. The new thar is too pricy therefore I want to consider second hand or modified jeeps.
There's nothing black or white in the world. There are just shades of gray.

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Fri May 03, 2013 8:05 pm

Modified in what way?
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Fri May 03, 2013 8:18 pm

Modified is a very wide term. But if as an e.g you are talking about a 550 being overhauled and used I've known jeeps that have done 400-500 kms in a day in it with no issues.. to the jeep that is, the humans needed chiropractic attention.

I owned a Kaiser and did a little over 700 kms in 18 hours straight - twice in a year. Did not face any issues. However, if your question also is about day to day maintenance, they certainly require more attention. It took me nearly a year to get it built and to have it completely 'set-in'.

If you regularly do long visits I would suggest choose a vehicle other than an overhauled Jeep. The jeep might not break down but you body certainly will . :mrgreen:

Cheers,
SS

tiwariarrun
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by tiwariarrun » Fri May 03, 2013 9:32 pm

And here's mine!

seedha.admi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by seedha.admi » Sat May 04, 2013 6:56 pm

Oh God! WOW!

seedha.admi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by seedha.admi » Sat May 04, 2013 6:58 pm

I want a 4x4 wheel drive with open top/soft top, good suspension system, power steering, music system, 4 seater, good ignition system & fog light for raiding himalaya. Be it thar, be it modified jeeps, be it gypsy etc.Yes it will break down my bones but I'LL HAVE NO REGRETS. :stupid:

seedha.admi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by seedha.admi » Sat May 04, 2013 7:08 pm

Moin. wrote:Here's M&M's answer to the Humvee !!!

Here's the source

[ Image ]
God I wish I had one! :x