Hike to Shirota Lake, Maharastra

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Hike to Shirota Lake, Maharastra

Post by archer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:01 pm

Jan 3rd 2000 was the first time that I hiked up to Shirota lake at the age of 13 with my school. Today, after 14 years and more than 15 treks to Shirota lake, I still have the excitement to see the first view of the lake from what we call the WOW point (pictures ahead). Shirota lake is located in the lonavala region. TATA has a dam built at one end and a duct at the other end to release water.

I planned this hike with a close friend from Bombay and had informed about 5 people from Lonavala about the hike as back up. the closest civilization from shirota camp site is about 2 hours away. Shirota has no electricity of source of food. We need to be self sufficient. Water from the lake is clean and can be drunk.

We took the 6:20am ST from dadar ST bus stop. The ride was one to remember. I suffered more hits and aches on the bus ride than on the entire trek. Reached Lonavala at 8:30am, had breakfast at Ram Krishna. We bought some bread and cake for our meals from the local bakery (nothing like having mawa cake and coffee for breakfast, while you sit by the lake at 8am). The trek starts at Jhorewadi village. It can be reached via rickshaw from lonavala. One needs to head towards pune on the old highway(NH4). The third village after lonavala is called Vaksai. At Vaksai, take a left and keep driving staright. You will hit Jhorewadi. That is the last village on the road and cant me missed. There is a temple at the end of the road, which is where you need to get off.

The hike started from here. We loaded our packs, checked our walkies and whistles and were ready to roll. To the left of the temple is a trail that leads up towards some electric poles. There are three main markers that need to be remembered. The first is a pink house just behind the temple. The trail is exactly behind the house and should not be missed. This trail will lead you to a Y fork that can be seen straight ahead. A bunch of electric poles are erected along the Y fork(which is the second marker). The hike up should take about 30mins are reasonable walking speed.

Once you reach the Y fork, walk up to the top where there is a plateau (false peak). There is a little pond where you will get spring water at this point. From the plateau, one needs to walk till the third electric pole, then take a left(this is the second marker). Do not miss this marker.

Once you take a left at the pole you should be able to see Andhra lake to your left within 5 mins of walking. you need to continue to walk straight till you hit a couple of date palms (marker 3) . This walk is flat and there is hardly any shade along the way. At the date palms, there is a trail that takes you straight down. The descend down to the duct should take about 25-30mins. There are a couple of good spots where you can camp near the duct. If it starts to raining, you can move into the duct to sleep.

Unfortunately, we missed the last part of the trail and landed about 2km to the right of the duct. We found a good spot and decided to setup camp there instead of walking the additional 2km back to the duct. I was carrying the bowie that i got from Jonah. It proved to be really handy to cut wood for campfire as well as for cooking. Setting up camp and the tent took about 30mins. The rest of the evening was spent in and around the lake. Dinner was served at 8pm ( sweet corn soup and pav bhaji) by the campfire . 9pm to 12 midnight we were out by the lake gazing that the stars (it was 1 night after no moon). There were some clouds but still had a pretty clear sky.

The next day, breakfast was mawa cake and coffee. 10:30am we cleaned up and were ready to bid adieu to shirota for another year.

Here are some pics.

http://picasaweb.google.com/paraggad/Sh ... IXKpubgmwE#

Hope you all like the place. If anyone is interested in going to shirota, i can give you the numbers of some locals who can guide you with the trail and help you setup camp.

Parag
Yeh dil maange more.....!!!

For Advertising mail webmaster
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Hike to Shirota Lake, Maharastra

Post by dr.jayakumar » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:14 pm

sure its beautiful.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:23 pm

hi archer nice one, you back for stay or going to the west again?
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:13 am

Hi Nagarifle,

I will be heading west on the 12th of this month. Was back while school was closed for Christmas.

Parag
Yeh dil maange more.....!!!

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:38 am

Hi archer i like your avatar on picassa. Its really cool. why not use it on ifg too?

oh and :cpix:
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:59 am

Looks great, Archer, thanks for sharing the trip and the pics!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:10 am

Archer,

Splendid report and a splendid location.Quite close to the metro too.Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:02 am

Vikram wrote:Archer,

Splendid report and a splendid location.Quite close to the metro too.Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Best-
Vikram
:agree:

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:28 am

Hello Archer,
Great Pics and very interesting, liked the dog.
BR

tumulbuch
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by tumulbuch » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:12 am

Hello archer,

Thanks a lot for the guidance on reaching Shirota.

We (3 of us) did attempt this trek a few weeks back. Unfortunately, we missed the second marker (Y fork). Got a glimpse of Shirota from top but could not find a way to go down. Thus, camped on top and returned next day. Will definitely attempt once again soon.

Cheers!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:58 am

Somehow I missed this post.
Great photos, Archer. What a beautiful lake!

tumulbuch, do you have any photos to post?
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:13 pm

Nice post archer...great travelogue! :cpix: (y)

A few more tips on how to navigate the Y fork and I would have made it! :D
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

Amir
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Amir » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:43 pm

I am really interested in this place.
By any chance can you re-post the photo link
the current one is invalid now.