Falconry In India

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Falconry In India

Post by sa_ali » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:23 pm

amazing, please continue it.:)

For Advertising mail webmaster
mohd_adeel
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by mohd_adeel » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:57 am

Ngrewal,

Brother me and Shahid Bhai are always in touch. We do converse regulalry discussing the ways by which Falconry can be made legal in India.
Shahid Bhai owns a pair of Peregrine Falcon and Laggar Falocn
Falconry is very near to my heart. The joy of seeing a peregrine dive or goshawk's rapid attack in bushes cannot be explained in words.

I would like to provide some information to all members
Peregrine, merlin, Red-headed, Saker and all hawks come under Schedule 1 of wildlife act 1972 which means caught up with 1 = Imprisonmnet upto 3 years or 25,000 /- fine or both.
So problem is with keeping the bird however the wildlife act does mention anything about Falconry and if a person can own the bird legally then it can be used to hunt blue rock pigeons, crows since only these 2 birds are declared as "Vermin" by India Wildlife Act.

Keeping Raptors requires care and expertise, else they are bound to die. I have seen several dying to negligence, bumblefoot, dieases etc.

There is a hope for falconry lovers in India. Very recently UNESCO has added falconry in its heritage list: http://www.unesco.org/culture/ich/index ... 1&RL=00442 .... This has given us hope to represent ourselves in front of goverment and then there is lot of other things..... A book can b written .. for time being this much is sufficient :-)

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:46 am

Adeel

Great news about UNESCO adding falconry to the heritage list..See if you can share any pictures or write up from Mr Shahid especially pictures of his falcons

best

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:06 pm

Hi all ,
well i am still caught up with a family member not keeping well , apologies for not keeping my promise of posting a writeup. I would however like to point out that it is very difficult for a falcon to catch a pigeon not impossible but difficult and blue rock is also on protected list. The falcon or for that matter any raptor never ever feeds on crows.
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

38 spl
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by 38 spl » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:26 pm

Falconry is ilegal in India now but ppl are still practising this sport of Kings here. :wink:

Falco_nish
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Falco_nish » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:31 pm

Hey,guyz u cant be bigger fan of falcons than me .I m not the guy who wld buy falcons but i earn them through my skills and i have 1 shaheen and 2 pairs of peregrine falcons and now GUESSS what ?,i flew them away cuz its illegal to keep them with you.but im tryin hard to make falconry legal in india .Its so stupid that falconry originated in India and now its banned here.Government should make them legal now its high time . our so unique and passionate hobby are damaged. I have spoken to BNHS and forestry department also but nothing cld be done .Dont speak to BNHS ppl they will try to against you.they said every indian( Mind you INDIAN) bird is illegal to pet .every means every koel,parrots,mayna and even crows ..(kave) but then he said u can lodge complain and FIR against those ppl who keep them ,last year i found a shaheen falcon in a animal hospital(Petit hospital,lower parel ,Mumbai) it got fainted due to to dehyderation in summer and i went to adopt that falcon ,they did'nt let me that said it is a rare bird then they said u can adopt common birds like koel ,mayna and silly one's but what the hell is here? government says every bird to pet is illegal but here in hospital lets you adopt common birds but not falcon ,i know it rare and exotic bird.BUt now i more powerful then before cuz i have got my falconry license from a place in india,"chiplun" and i can keep them with me.U all also can keep them, u have to know that its not a serious issue to keep the bird with you.i have plenty of ways so that you can keep the falcons and get an official permit to keep them with you.OKAy u know what? I'm the MAN!

Okay falconish.. Tell us the ways to keep the falcons legally in INDIA in your next post otherwise this post will go and you will earn yourself a nice shining yellow card and one more thing DO NOT post in sms language here. Next post like this from you and you are out of here.

jmorrison222
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by jmorrison222 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:20 pm

HI....
Please elaborate on what license have you acquired...... i am a practisinging falconer from mumbai..... and i keep the birds only as long as i am rehabilitating them.... but it will be interesting to know what license this is that you are talking about....

REgards
Bilal

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:55 pm

Falco_nish wrote:Hey,guyz u cant be bigger fan of falcons than me .I m not the guy who wld buy falcons but i earn them through my skills and i have 1 shaheen and 2 pairs of peregrine falcons and now GUESSS what ?,i flew them away cuz its illegal to keep them with you.but im tryin hard to make falconry legal in india .Its so stupid that falconry originated in India and now its banned here.Government should make them legal now its high time . our so unique and passionate hobby are damaged. I have spoken to BNHS and forestry department also but nothing cld be done .Dont speak to BNHS ppl they will try to against you.they said every indian( Mind you INDIAN) bird is illegal to pet .every means every koel,parrots,mayna and even crows ..(kave) but then he said u can lodge complain and FIR against those ppl who keep them ,last year i found a shaheen falcon in a animal hospital(Petit hospital,lower parel ,Mumbai) it got fainted due to to dehyderation in summer and i went to adopt that falcon ,they did'nt let me that said it is a rare bird then they said u can adopt common birds like koel ,mayna and silly one's but what the hell is here? government says every bird to pet is illegal but here in hospital lets you adopt common birds but not falcon ,i know it rare and exotic bird.BUt now i more powerful then before cuz i have got my falconry license from a place in india,"chiplun" and i can keep them with me.U all also can keep them, u have to know that its not a serious issue to keep the bird with you.i have plenty of ways so that you can keep the falcons and get an official permit to keep them with you.OKAy u know what? I'm the MAN!
Could you please tell us what kind of license is this that you procured? And also what are these plenty ways that allows you to keep falcons and official permit? I hope all of them are legal.Look forward to hearing from you.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:21 pm

can one train kites? as there are plenty to be seen over Delhi skys.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:25 pm

Naga: They can be trained, and become quite tame. But, of course, they are scavengers as well as hunters. Not that you could hunt anyhow.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:20 am

thanks mate
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:24 am

you could teach them to swoop on your pesky neighbours head
:cheers:
To Excellence through Diligence.

huntergill
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by huntergill » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:07 am

"life with an Indian Prince"made by National geographic society filmed by John and Frank Craighead, is a valuable source of hunting with chetaahs and art of falconry.Unfortunately, the only record of its kind in India.Took a year to film in Bhavnagar.Makekhan and his son(s) Gulam Hussein were the leading falconers of the Durbar.Amritsar and Masulipattam Madras were the best markets for hawks and falcons in 1930's.Makekhan was the first person in India to train large female sakers, sometimes called harani cherrugs to bind and stop chinkara and in few cases black bucks for the long dogs trailing them.Usually two harani sakers were flown togather on bucks. Dharamkumarsinhji portrayed Makekhans life in Illustrated weekly of India.Gulam Hussein trained peregrines to capture cranes(kunj) which is slightly smaller than sarus, a very high ranking achievement in falconry.Falcons shy away from cranes because normally they are found in pairs and flocks, most of the times attacking and killing falcons with sharp claws and strong bills.
Alam Gir Khan was the trainer of chetaahs, imported from Africa.Huzur pasand was the top chetaah who had downed a nilghai in his time, according to Dharam kumarsinji.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:09 am

Huntergill

Nice info do post more on this topic

best

vjswild
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by vjswild » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:26 pm

The fascinating discussion on falconry has been very enriching. However, I would like to add that the most prized hunter during the Mughal period and afterwards was the Eastern Goshawk. As eminent an authority as TC Jerdon wrote in 1862 (Birds of India Vol 1) that a female goshawk would sell for between Rs 20-50 and was the ``most esteemed bird of prey''. KS Dharmakumarsinhji also wrote in his book, reminiscences of Indian wildlife, that the goshawk was the most prized falcon during the mughal period. India's contemporary authority on raptors, Rishad Naoroji, writes in his seminal work, birds of prey of the Indian sub-continent' about the goshwak: * The Goshawk was considered noble and its prowess in falconry highly-esteemed. Its name also pertains to an era when only the nobility could fly this species. Reckless in pursuit, it focusses on its quarry regardless of natural or man-made obstacles. It is this feature that has made it a favourite among falconers. The powerful female was traditionally trained in the Punjab to take large prey such as hare, Macqueen's bustard, crows, owls, herons, ducks, geese, even cranes and large game birds such as partridges, junglefowl, pheasants, in Sind even gazelles.* Rishad Naoroji, Birds of Prey of the Indian Sub-continent, 2006.