Who killed how many tigers in India

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
eaglesharp10
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Who killed how many tigers in India

Post by eaglesharp10 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:07 am

tonygunlover wrote:I think the record is of Maharaja of Rewa who shot around 1200 tigers all himself.. its mentioned in a Book by Great Billy Arjan Singh in one of his books.Its Worth reading Tiger Haven Oxford publications...
he was not a hunter but a butcher as good hunters never wants animals to be extinct and they hunt in limit that too in hunting season

For Advertising mail webmaster
prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:25 am

Talking about the Scindias of Gwalior.
They had a train running through their jungles to allow the "Maharaja" an easy "Hunt".

Most first timers on "tiger hunts" would sit up over a bait from a machaan. Often with flood lights in the night to blind the poor tiger the moment he came and take their shots. The only "skill" that was involved here was ones ability to stay still. Boring, for the hunter who looked at Shikar as a "Sport". Lousy, for a man who took the trophy as a reward and not for it's gross financial value.

For the other class of Shikaris who considered hunting only in the day and went by the rule
"Sun Down Gun Down" there was only Stalking and Haanka . Hunting only in the day. Where the "Game" had an equal chance of getting away. Where you needed real skill and knowledge of the Wilderness to track the animal. Where you needed the nerves of steel to follow a wounded predator . Where you used all the leads like a detective and put them together. Jungle Lore like they called it. That thrill and challenge was entirely different. Unmatched in any form.
For this class of legendary hunters................. Every thing else was monotonous and unethical.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:38 am

Dear tonygunlover,
with due respect to billy, he was a writer and tiger lover expert, not necessarily a tiger hunting record historian.

i have mentioned 3 'top' in my knowledge (1500 by maharaja of gwalior and Datia not far behind) but the person who started the thread says he knows 4 people who shot more than 2000 tigers.

i am eagerly waiting to hear the results.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

tonygunlover
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by tonygunlover » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:21 pm

eaglesharp10 wrote:
tonygunlover wrote:I think the record is of Maharaja of Rewa who shot around 1200 tigers all himself.. its mentioned in a Book by Great Billy Arjan Singh in one of his books.Its Worth reading Tiger Haven Oxford publications...
he was not a hunter but a butcher as good hunters never wants animals to be extinct and they hunt in limit that too in hunting season

Hi Eaglessharp..
Hunter or Butcher i was just mentioning the record.. He was a buthcher indeed i do agree with you.. But Most of the Maharaja's and Raja's of that time were like that.. read about Maharaja of Cooch Behar i his book Thirty Seven years of Big game hunting..
Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:01 pm

I think the maximum were killed by the "poor peasant clearing the forest to feed his family" encouraged by politicians to encroach on forest land and the timber mafia again patronized by the political class.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:03 pm

I think the maximum were killed by the "poor peasant clearing the forest to feed his family" encouraged by politicians to encroach on forest land and the timber mafia again patronized by the political class

:agree:
:clap:

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

casual shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by casual shooter » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:19 pm

actually how many could kill the tiger with a spear or sword, from a distance of 100 meters taking a pot shot shot with a high power rifle is no heman sort of thing, when the beast is at your smelling distance and you are on the ground, 'tab maza ayega', tha koi mai ka lal. in history,

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:23 pm

when the beast is at your smelling distance and you are on the ground, 'tab maza ayega', tha koi mai ka lal. in history,

is duniya mein har sher par sava sher hai. there have been a few brave people like the ones you mention but unfortunately some people view using underpowered weapons as non-humane and to some extent i agree too.

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:01 pm

Shooter,

I do not have tha data. But its becoming clear a LOT of tigers were hunted. And not hunted by the conservationist type of hunter.

M.
shooter wrote:dear fantumfan can you please list the people you know who have the biggest bags (2000+).

regards
-- Tue Oct 12, 2010 21:06 --

The Masai in Africa do hunt Lion with a spear and at much shorter distance but the lion is usually outnumbered ten to one.

M.
casual shooter wrote:actually how many could kill the tiger with a spear or sword, from a distance of 100 meters taking a pot shot shot with a high power rifle is no heman sort of thing, when the beast is at your smelling distance and you are on the ground, 'tab maza ayega', tha koi mai ka lal. in history,
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:12 pm

Shooter,

I do not have tha data. But its becoming clear a LOT of tigers were hunted. And not hunted by the conservationist type of hunter.

I was under the impression you knew 4 such people

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:34 pm

Maharaja of Surguja shot 1710.....

tonygunlover
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by tonygunlover » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:53 pm

Sanjay wrote:
Maharaja of Surguja shot 1710.....

I think you are right Sanjay..
Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:18 pm

Nope.

M.
shooter wrote:
Shooter,

I was under the impression you knew 4 such people
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

casual shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by casual shooter » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:07 pm

Actually the idea is to give the king of beasts, also an equal chance. i dont want to mention but many many years ago i was also party to some blood sports, but i realized that the animal had no chance to prove his provers, so i feel in any sport it should be a level playing field. i dont know how many of us have heard a tiger roar in wilderness?

rns188
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rns188 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:04 pm

The record for most tigers killed by any individual goes to H.H Maharaja Ramanuj Saran Singh Deo of erstwhile princely state of Surguja, around 1100 tigers.

http://tigertribe.net/tigers-origin/tigers-killed/