Minnesota State Parks

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Minnesota State Parks

Post by brihacharan » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:33 am

Hi xl_target,
> This was among the nicest conducted tours I've ever had 'sitting in a chair' :D
> The peace & tranquility in the forests, the freshness of a waterfall....just awesome bro...
> Thanks for sharing!!!!
Briha

For Advertising mail webmaster
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:51 pm

Wow - you are 'rocking' xl_target! Wonderful, unique, scenery...fascinating details about the how the lamp and the lenses work...enjoyed the discussion about this lovely lighthouse! :cpix:

Absolutely beautiful images - I especially love that one of the LH on the crag - what a wonderful shot!

This one
A view of the LIghthouse from the campsite/picnic area. The white speck near the foot of the rock is a fishing boat.

Nice one about
Those of you who read the "Song of Hiawatha" in high school might remember the lines below. By the shores of Gitche Gumee, By the shining Big-Sea-Water, Stood the wigwam of Nokomis, Daughter of the Moon, Nokomis. Dark behind it rose the forest, Rose the black and gloomy pine-trees, Rose the firs with cones upon them; Bright before it beat the water, Beat the clear and sunny water, Beat the shining Big-Sea-Water. -H.W. Longfellow
And...I thought that lady leaning over and checking out the view was a teenager???! My best compliments to Jo! :D

When are we going to take your 'Detective Special' car on such a long drive - I am sure you would (and I would too) enjoy that? :lol:

:cheers:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:36 pm

Thanks CK and Briha.
I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. Here are some more photos

CK, Jo will be tickled that you thought she was a teenager.

Climbing up the stairway inside the Lighthouse.
The central column contains the weight that drops (like a Cuckoo clock) that powers the mechanism to turn the lens assembly

The lens assembly. Yes, it was made in France.

The tub above the mechanism contains 250 lbs. of liquid mercury that acts as a bearing for the lens assembly.

This is the mechanism to wind up the weight. It must be wound up every four hours.

Another view of the Lighthouse. You can see the fog horn on the fog signal building.

A Bear-proof garbage can.

The natives are not very restless. :)
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:02 pm

Hi xl_target,
> I appreciate & congratulate you on your excellent photographic compositions - very professional :D
> You could consider "Photo-Journalism" as an alternate profession :D
Briha

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:57 am

Thanks, Brihaji, you flatter me but I'm really not that good.
Unfortunately, I left my SLR at home and only had a point and shoot with me.

On the way back from Split Rock, we stopped at another State park that was on the way home.

Gooseberry Falls State Park
The area known as Gooseberry Falls State Park is intricately tied to human use of Lake Superior. At different times, the Cree, the Dakotah, and the Ojibwe lived along the North Shore. As early as 1670, the Gooseberry River appeared on explorer maps. The river was either named after the French explorer Sieur des Groseilliers or after the Anishinabe Indian name, Shab-on-im-i-kan-i-sibi; when translated, both refer to gooseberries. In the 1870s, commercial and sport fishermen began to use this area.
By the 1890s, logging became the principle use of the land around the Gooseberry River. In 1900, the Nestor Logging Company built its headquarters at the river mouth and a railway was used to carry the pine to the lake for rafting to the sawmills. Because of fires and intensive logging pressures, the pine disappeared by the early 1920s.
With the rise of North Shore tourism in the 1920s, there was a concern that the highly scenic North Shore would be accessible only to the rich. As a result the Legislature authorized preservation of the area around Gooseberry Falls in 1933. The following year, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) began to develop the park. CCC crews built the park's stone and log buildings and the 300-foot long "Castle in the Park" stone retaining wall. They also laid out the original campground, picnic grounds and trails. The area officially became Gooseberry Falls State Park in 1937. The CCC camps closed in 1941, but the park's CCC legacy lives on.
quote from here

This is another park on the shores of Lake Superior. 1682 acres are set aside, at this location, for the enjoyment of citizens of the State.
It is known for a series of waterfalls that occur as the Gooseberry River and a number of small streams come off the cliffs and feed into Lake Superior
There are three basic falls, the Upper, Middle and Lower falls.

A number of trails go through this park. The paved Gitchi Gami State Trail is great for bike riding. There a number of smaller trails for hiking. The famed Superior Hiking Trail (rated one of the ten best in the country) goes through this park as well as the previously mentioned Split Rock State Park on its way up the North Shore.

A number of very well maintained paths go through the park, they are raised higher than the surrounding areas so you don't step on the delicate flora and fauna.

This is also a very dog friendly park. We saw a lot of people out for the day, with their dogs.

All the trails were lined with vivid splashes of color as the wildflowers were in full bloom.

Wild Roses

more.......
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:36 am

Thanks for sharing the :cpix: and the workings of the lighthouse mechanism...very interesting xl_target. The really great thing about MN is that you have an inexhaustible source of stories - of nature, beauty, history and excitement in your State Parks :D
Hi xl_target,
> I appreciate & congratulate you on your excellent photographic compositions - very professional :D
> You could consider "Photo-Journalism" as an alternate profession :D :cheers: Briha
Congratulations on you new-fix avatar brihacharan yet another of my beloved series!!

Your compliment to xl_target is absolutely on the dot (DPI), very - FOTOGRAFIX!! ROTFL
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:37 am

I agree CK, a great choice of Avatar (Getafix) on Brihaji's part.
Asterix was one of my favorite comix to read, when I was growing up. :)

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:28 am

ckkalyan wrote: Congratulations on you new-fix avatar brihacharan yet another of my beloved series!!
Your compliment to xl_target is absolutely on the dot (DPI), very - FOTOGRAFIX!! ROTFL
Hi xl_target / CKK,

I shared your comments with my 12 year old grandson....
His response was "Grandpa, your pals at the IFG are "Hep" ROTFL
Thanks guys - it's your energy & enthusiasm that spurs my pursuit to rejoice in the joys of living :D
Briha

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:17 am

Gooseberry Falls State Park

The visitor center housed a number of stuffed animals.
Lynx

The Eastern Timber Wolf. This one was large. The head came up to my waist.

We then walked the trails to the Falls area.
The Upper Falls

The Middle Falls

The Lower Falls

A father and son enjoying the water

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:32 pm

AWESOME !!

Thanks XL for sharing. Love the water :D

TC

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:24 pm

TC wrote:AWESOME !!

TC
You're welcome TC.
So, when are you coming over? :)

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:32 pm

xl_target wrote:

TC
You're welcome TC.
XL,
After another two years. By then I will have saved enough to return with my hands and bags full of goodies from all over the US :lol:

TC

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:11 am

TC wrote:
xl_target wrote:

TC
You're welcome TC.
XL,
After another two years. By then I will have saved enough to return with my hands and bags full of goodies from all over the US :lol:

TC

Oh! IFG Meet!

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:54 pm

Oh! IFG Meet!
Yessss.... where I will possibly cook Salmon with sorshe bata, Salmon Paturi and chingrir malai curry :lol:

:wink:

TC

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:30 pm

TC wrote:
Oh! IFG Meet!
Yessss.... where I will possibly cook Salmon with sorshe bata, Salmon Paturi and chingrir malai curry :lol:
:wink:
TC
Hey Guys!
> What mouthwatering dishes TC :D
> You can add this to you repertoire of recipes - picked it up from a friend's mother long time ago -
> The taste still lingers :lol:
INDIAN SAUSAGE CURRY
Serves 4 people / Can be served with Rotis, Noodles or Pasta.......
Ingredients
*6 Sausage sticks (sliced)
*5 tbsp oil
*1 medium sized onion (chopped)
*1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
*1 tomato (made into paste)
*1½ tsp chilli powder
*½ tsp turmeric powder
*1 tsp salt
*1/2 tsp soya sauce
*1/2 tsp lemon juice
*1 cup water
Directions
>In a wok, heat oil, add onions, ginger garlic paste and saute for a while.
>Now add the tomato paste, chilli powder, turmeric and salt and mix well.
>Add the sausages, soya sauce, lemon juice and water.
>Cover cook till the water boils.....
Indian Sausage curry is ready to serve!!!!
Briha