Hunt in Hungary

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Bespoke
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Hunt in Hungary

Post by Bespoke » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:46 pm

Great going Safarigent! Keep us posted!

:cheers:
“Bravery is believing in yourself, and that thing nobody can teach you.”

For Advertising mail webmaster
rcdoma
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rcdoma » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:19 pm

Very nice narration, Safarigent. Can't wait to hear the rest of it :D

only32owner
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by only32owner » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:32 am

Hi Ab, great going my friend.
If you dont mind , what is ur profession/ current employment. I got a notion. that you work for one of the wings of armed forces. I may be wrong also. Can you please let me know, it will be a help to understand a fellow IFGin once again don't mind.

Regards.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:12 pm

I am extremely sorry for the delay in completing this story.
To make up for that, i am attaching pictures of the animals i took. Enjoy!
hide.JPG
boar.JPG
DSC02039.JPG
DSC02040.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
To Excellence through Diligence.

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:40 pm

That's what we call a "molar to molar smile". :D :D
Says it all.........How much you enjoyed the trip.
Looks like a beautiful countryside.
Now may I request you for the details.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:59 am

I am sorry for the long delay.

Day 3

We again got up in the morning and went around the estate to hunt.
Again, lots of animals, but none that came close enough.
Very good practise though. Moving around the woods, looking through the forest to see movement, anything. Stalking, reading the wind, working different parts of the woods accordingly.
In the afternoon, we were ready once again for shikar.
Big hunter was taken to a high seat, on the edge of a field, looking into the woods.
Jolt disappeared, he had a big, voluptous hungarian lady to go and woo at the local inn.
Me and boris settled in for the wait.
The wind tonight was not in our favour, and was blowing from behind us, towards the bait. That also meant that we were exposed to the cruel wind through the open rear entrance of the high seat. We saw boar, lots of them, around 300 yards away, no shot.
We saw a fox too as the night wore on, but i had come here for a wild boar and not a fox.
Eventually a sounder of pigs came out and stood around a 100 yards down mingling and snorting around the corn.
I shouldered the rifle, engaged the set trigger, and concentrated on my aim. Suddenly, with the all too familiar fog and thunder, the shot was taken. When the fog cleared up, i saw the boar lying where it had stood a moment ago.
Boris congratulated me and we proceeded to go towards the boar and pull it out towards the high seat.
Now, with boris happy that jolt wont rib him about the newbie he had gotten and me happy about taking a clean shot, we started laughing, just looking at each other and laughing. It was damn cold, it was so damn lonely. It seems so damn silly now. But that was quite likely one of the best laughs two gents could share!
Jolt came bouncing over the rutted tracks and wouldnt believe that i had shot a boar so cleanly! ( it had been shot just behind and below the ear through the spinal column)
He said that boris had shot the boar to make up for my poor marksmanship and that he outht to leave us here and go back to his lady love ;)
Well, we loaded the boar up and went bouncing away.
Lots of laughter, lots of good food! And a comtended nights sleep.
In the morning we again went looking for deer. After an hour or so, coming up to a high seat deep in the forest, i was climbing up the ladder just behind boris when he stopped and his damn flipper of a boot almost knocked me off!

Shhhh....... Red Deer

We spent the next 5 minutes playing statue with the deer and when they lost interest, we climbed up ever so slowly, so as not to disturb them! My sweet god! The excitement of seeing a herd of 70 odd deer in the clearing right in front of you in broad daylight just 70-80 yards away is exhilerating! It was excruciating being so slow! Any moment, they might smell/hear us and run away. At long last, the rifle was holstered and an animal chosen.
Themproblem was there were too many deer and one bullet would have gone through a deer and injured another one. Imagine the scene. Your cross hairs following an animal, your finger waiting, yet, no shot. After 5 minutes of this, the deer moved away in a stately manner and we never got a shot! Boo hoo hoo!

Back to the lodge for a hearty lunch and sleep and then we went out hunting in the evening. This particular evening, we left early.
I was in the left rear of the truck, with jolt driving and boris riding shotgun. Suddenly 230 odd yards out we see red deer, around 3-4 of them. The truck is stopped, and i roll down the window to take a shot. The forest behind the animals are jolts and so are the fields. We are clear to fire. The animal selected is a young stag who was injured in a car accident some time back and had injured the base of one of his antlers pretty bad.
They saw the truck stop and started walking off into the forest. I checked the range, made my calculations and went for a heart shot. The shot went home, the stag fell down. Then he proceeded to calmly get up and bound away, changing direction through th hedges towards the adjoining field parallel to the road, we gunned the truck and i loaded another cateidge and was ready to take the shot. But the deer refused to come out of the hedge. There was another group around 70 yards away off to my left and ahead who came into view when we crossed the hedge dividing the two fields on our left. A angle of 30 odd degrees. They saw us and started running across the field towards our right, meaning to cross the road and run away into a patch of forest. With the truck running to intercept them, i made two shots, both of which went behind, because they were running flat out and i was aiming at them. Anyhow, they crossed the road and jolt asked me to shoot on the right. I changed position and now after drawing a bead on the lead animal, pulled out a bit in front and shot in the same instant.
The best feeling in the world!
The deer folded up in mid stride and went rolling into the ground. It was dead as it hit mother earth. We reversed and went after the first stag.
Walking towards the hedge, the deer went out the other side and we followed through.
At a distance of say 60 odd yards, i shot him again, this time in the neck. It worked and he went down. But he still was breathing. At this point, i took out my knife and slit his throat and finally put him to sleep. Poor chap.
Not exactly a purists joy, this last evening of hunting, but it was a learning experience. And i will admit, very exhilerating!
jolt came, jolts father came, ( jolt had called him to get some ammo ) and they congratulated me. Jolt finally performed the hungarian tradition of saluting the game and hunter by placing a green twig on my ear and congratulating me and thanking the dead game as well.
We now went back to pick up the second deer and proceeded to the lodge.
Tired and in need of some peace and quiet i begged off dinner early and went home.
The next day, jolt shook my hand and asked me to come anytime for a hunt, but with a twinkle in his eye, added that i should not come as big hunter, patron saint of wild boar, next time!
:)
A long drive back to budapest, through slovenia and my hunt was over!
Ah, but i do wish to return and soon to those lovely dark and deep woods.
To maybe give a better account of myself this time around.
To punish myself in the cold again.
For the hearty food and the raucous songs in a language i cant understand
For being back with friends and laughing at joltie once again for his squandered love! :)
But most of all, for the call of the wild, i shall return,
To slip into a forest and blend into it.
To sit in the cold and peer through the night for my quarry
To place my trigger on an animal and make a good shot
In the end, i shall return because this i love.

The end

Please be free with your criticisms and your comments. One learns from these discussions and if i learn something which will make me a better hunter, i shall appreciate it all the more.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:35 am

Great write up like always...one question is it legal to shoot out of car/truck? because in many states in US it isnt

best

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:02 am

What excellently, well written narrative Safarigent :D

I can only begin to guess at your feelings of exhilaration, exuberance and sheer joy; especially since you were waxing lyrical at the end! Many thanks for sharing.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:05 am

Yes, it is legal there.
I dont think i would do it again, but its legal.
I am more than happy shooting rabbits from a moving vehicle, so i question myself as to why the innate reluctance to shoot game from a vehicle too? Thats over and above the legality of it

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:07 am

Thanks for the comments
CK, go on a hunt sometime soon.
Its the best thing you Can do with your time.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:18 am

No more pictures.
I am sure you guys can match the write up to the relevant pictures

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:06 am

Safarigent wrote: No more pictures. :D
I am sure you guys can match the write up to the relevant pictures

:lol:

ABM,
> Good narration & nice pictures :D
> Above all "You had a great time" - That's all it matters - Thanks for sharing :D
> BTW - Your narration took me back by several years - Time when I was in Frankfurt at a German Host's house...
> One of the walls in his living room had this huge Boar Head with awesome tusks mounted - When I asked him as to where he bagged it - His answer was 'Hungary' :D
Briha

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:33 am

Thank you sir.
These mounted boar trophies do look imposing

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:52 pm

Excellent report,AB. Much enjoyed reading it. Thank you for sharing with us.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:23 am

Safarigent wrote:Yes, it is legal there.
I dont think i would do it again, but its legal.
I am more than happy shooting rabbits from a moving vehicle, so i question myself as to why the innate reluctance to shoot game from a vehicle too? Thats over and above the legality of it
The reasoning is, that game is used to seeing cars and does not necessarily associate them with humans. Therefore is not afraid and will not run and can be approached much closer, giving the hunter an advantage he would not otherwise have. From hunting to shooting. And that's what makes some of us hesitate to do so, and makes it illegal in many places. Cheers.