JEEP LOVERS AND OTR THREAD

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Re: JEEP LOVERS AND OTR THREAD

Post by Moin. » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:32 pm

hamiclar01 wrote:Hmm, Prabath, that's Thar off my list then! Team BHP too weren't much impressed by what was being offered for the price

Moin, I'd recommend Mundaire's post on the jeep thread on IFG. He did something similar to what you were thinking, and has shared his experience in great detail. Can't say it had a happy ending.
Thanks Hamiclair, tried searching for the thread, did'nt find it. Will be helpful If you could post a link.

Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

For Advertising mail webmaster
Moin.

Post by Moin. » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:36 pm

goodboy_mentor wrote:Personally I would avoid buying a second hand jeep that is priced at two lacs and also in terrible condition.

Noted goodboy mentor, was disappointed with what I saw till now...

Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:39 pm

Birds of a feather...I have had three jeeps so far. A 1959 low bonnet Willys, A MM540 with hard top and the Mahaindra Quadro which was the forerunner of the Thar as we know it now. All sold now as I have tasted the luxury and comfort of a big Japanese SUV!!
Will try and dig up some pics and post them.

katana I like the simplicity and stock nature of your ride. Neat clean lines. When your 18 and get your first jeep all you want to do is stick on stuff like grills, roll bars, shovels, lights and the odd kitchen sink. Thats what happened to me![/quote]

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Waiting for the pics...

P.S: The knife in your profile pic looks strangely familiar... :mrgreen:

Regards
Moin.

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:43 pm

puru baruah wrote:i think you should go for the Brand new Mahindra Thar,,its a civilian version of the MM 550 but with a much more powerful 2.5l crde engine cranking out a whooping 105 bhp and it has the 4x4 independent suspension of the scorpio which gives it a near better ground clearence of 200mm ....it has all the looks u want
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vwuLjslQGek/T ... 2BThar.jpg
http://www.autoplugged.com/wp-content/u ... ader-1.jpg
http://www.indifun.com/wp-content/uploa ... 03x500.jpg
http://static.zigwheels.com/media/photo ... 40x480.jpg

Thank you Puru, but the CRDE version's way too expensive, too much to pay upfront. rather buy a second hand and then refurbish as vitamin M permits.....
:D
Regards
Moin.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:47 pm

Here is what has been in my stable for the last 10 or so years:

Not a jeep, but a suzuki Samurai, (I believe called a Jimny in your neck of the woods):

For getting anything serious done around the property, here is my Ford F250, diesel and 4 WD:

Anyway, not to hijack but just wanted to share! Carry on!
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:25 am

Mark, The Suzuki Samurai is called a Gypsy here
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:57 am

Thats a Maruti Gypsy Mark and a really nice Ford Pickup. Just out of curiosity what are the petrol and Deisel prices in the US.

Regards
Moin.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:43 am

Right now Petrol is $2.99 / US Gallon

So one gallon = 3.78 liters, and $2.99 = 151.62 INR

So yesterday when I bought petrol I paid 40.11 INR per liter

Diesel is currently about $4 per gallon= 53.66 INR/liter
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

puru baruah
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by puru baruah » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:59 am

Mark wrote:Right now Petrol is $2.99 / US Gallon

it seems diesel is costlier than petrol in the US.......here its 47INR/liter
and Petrol arnd 67INR/liter

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:03 am

Thanks Guys,
a friend here is selling his 92 model mm 540, it needs a lot of work done, can a isuzu engine be put on one of these?
any good mechanic in bangalore who can do it up end to end without charging an arm and a leg?
/S/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:39 am

Been looking for differences in the various models, found a nice link

http://www.4wd4all.com/forums/showthrea ... mada/page5

Hi Wanderer,

MM440 - F4134+KMT90+T18 with 5.38:1 (1985-1990c)

MM540DP - XDP4.9+KMT90+T18 with 5.38:1 (1985-1988c)
XDP4.9+KMT90+T18 with 4.88:1 (1988-1998/2002c)

MM540XD - XD3P++KMT90+T18 with 4.88:1(1994-1998c)

MM550XD - XD3P++KMT90+T18 with 4.88:1(1996c-2003c) (Army JEEP)

MM550DP - XDP4.9+KMT90+T18 with 4.88:1 (1998-2002c)

MM550XDB - XD3P+BA10+T18 with 4.88:1 (1998-2002c)

NGCSMM550XD - XD3P+KMT90+T18 with 4.88:1(2003-2006c) (Army JEEP) aka THE BEST 4x4 Made in INDIA.

DP - 2112cc engine.
XD - 2498cc engine.
XDB - XD3P + BA10.
540 - 6 Seater.
550 - 8 Seater.

Regards,

Arka

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:56 am

Mark wrote:Right now Petrol is $2.99 / US Gallon

Wow, Deisel more expensive than Petrol !...

Thank You.
Moin.

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:21 pm

Hi All,
Been following this thread closely. My two pence on this is it all depends on what you are looking at and what do u need a jeep for.
The older jeeps or remade jeeps( mayapuri/dabwali kinds) are nice as a weekend offroader and if looking at short offroading trips on the weekends they fit the bill. However they are a project & constant work in progress they break down all the time and need a lot of TLC. The good that comes out of this is you learn a lot of basic mechanics of these machines . If u need just a poser to go to the nearest grocery store then also these will fit the bill.
However if you are looking at serious off roading and also are my kinda person who can live with spartan but basic comforts like nice seat height and cushioning ,modern relatively low vibration/noise engine and chassis, decent offroad handling and driving and the ability to fit an aircon then my friend you can look at either the THAR or the good ol mountain goat The GYPSY.
The choice here is whether you want more torque and like the "Jeep" look then Thar fullfills the requirement , if you like a vibe free petrol engine and dont need serious torque then the Gypsy should do it for you. The advantage with these are they can be your daily runabout and not leave you fatigued and your face black with soot if driven for an hour in a city like delhi not to mention al the dust u'll inhale. Instead of buying a swift / i20 you could buy one get a hardtop and install an aircon and here my friend is the Indian Wrangler that you can drive to office or even across town or if u'd like on the highway. More useable and easy to live with....
Last edited by captrakshitsharma on Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:35 pm

Yes, do not buy the army disposal junk and bother with changing engines etc.unless you want the vehicle to break down in the middle of nowhere or spend some time every week with the mechanic. Either buy a decent used vehicle or stick with Gypsies or the Thar CRDe with the borg warne suspension (not the DI). Personally I recommend the Scorpio 4WD too, it is a comfortable and powerful offroader in India.

Also check out Petes India website for related gear etc and there is one other guy in Bangalore ( I think ) who sells Warne winches etc. I will find his details and let you know too.

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:20 pm

captrakshitsharma wrote:Hi All,
Been following this thread closely. My two pence on this is it all depends on what you are looking at and what do u need a jeep for.
The older jeeps or remade jeeps( mayapuri/dabwali kinds) are nice as a weekend offroader and if looking at short offroading trips on the weekends they fit the bill. However they are a project & constant work in progress they break down all the time and need a lot of TLC. The good that comes out of this is you learn a lot of basic mechanics of these machines . If u need just a poser to go to the nearest grocery store then also these will fit the bill.
However if you are looking at serious off roading and also are my kinda person who can live with spartan but basic comforts like nice seat height and cushioning ,modern relatively low vibration/noise engine and chassis, decent offroad handling and driving and the ability to fit an aircon then my friend you can look at either the THAR or the good ol mountain goat The GYPSY.
The choice here is whether you want more torque and like the "Jeep" look then Thar fullfills the requirement , if you like a vibe free petrol engine and dont need serious torque then the Gypsy should do it for you. The advantage with these are they can be your daily runabout and not leave you fatigued and your face black with soot if driven for an hour in a city like delhi not to mention al the dust u'll inhale. Instead of buying a swift / i20 you could buy one get a hardtop and install an aircon and here my friend is the Indian Wrangler that you can drive to office or even across town or if u'd like on the highway. More useable and easy to live with....

Very pragmatic view Capt.Sharma, yes this will be more for short week end trips. The Thar's a very expensive buy as brought a Fabia recently and the Gypsy's don't really stir the heart like the Mahindra Jeeps.

Thanks
Moin.