Wildlife Photography

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
ganeshn
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Wildlife Photography

Post by ganeshn » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:08 am

WOW, the tiger kill is amazing not at all easy to get such an image!
The red adavat could have been a little sharper and as a thumb rule the background should be mid tone & preferably non white.
how is the inflight tracking of sigma 150-500 lens.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Kumarnishith
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kumarnishith » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:59 pm

@SMJ: Thanks SMJ

@ngrewal: All the shots were taken using Canon 60D + Sigma 150-500mm combination

@ganeshn: Thanks Ganeshn..I totally agree with your comment regarding the red adapt pic! Actually the image was made in pretty difficult light condition, the bird was backlit thus I didn't had much option! But of course the area of highlight could have been corrected to some extent during PP.
I would rate the inflight tracking of Sigma 150-500mm to be pretty average..I guess Canon 400mm 5.6 is still the best budget lens for BIF shots! Nevertheless, for the money Sigma 150-500mm is a decent lens for motionless subjects & the IS is pretty good too!!

-Nishith

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:17 am

With winter just around the corner, in southern Minnesota, we're trying to enjoy every nice day that we have left this year.
The Minneopa Falls were flowing well after recent rains. The trees are gradually decking themselves out with Fall Colors.
It was time to get out on the Prairie and see if we could hunt down some American Bison with the camera.

Just downstream of the Falls, the water flows tranquilly through Minneopa Creek.

The Bison are fattening up off the Prairie so they can withstand the winter.

A short hike later, we manage to get to the fencing that marks the edge of their territory

The flimsy fence won't provide much protection if one of those behemoths decides that you are intruding on his turf.

The red and yellow hues are typical of the foliage this time of year.

While I can't match Dr Nishit's photos with my little point and shoot with its metering being confused by shooting into the sun, I hope there is something different for you to see here.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:53 pm

Lovely photos XL Target (y) (y)

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:39 am

Thank You SMJ
I should have been more clear.
The reason that the photo of Minneopa Creek was posted along with the Bison is because they are all in the same 2,599 acre park.

My friend commented that he could probably outrun me if they decided to charge.
My comment was that I would probably have to shoot him in the leg if that happened as I just have to outrun him. :)
A charging Bison isn't even going to notice a 9mm pistol round.

According to Wikipedia, Bison can be quite dangerous when provoked, hence the comment about trying to outrun them:
Despite being the closest relatives of domestic cattle native to North America, bison were never domesticated by Native Americans. Later attempts of domestication by Europeans prior to the 20th century met with limited success. Bison were described as having a "wild and ungovernable temper";[41] they can jump close to 6 ft (1.8 m) vertically,[42] and run 35–40 mph (56–64 km/h) when agitated. This agility and speed, combined with their great size and weight, makes bison herds difficult to confine, as they can easily escape or destroy most fencing systems, including most razor wire.

Dangers to humans
Bison are among the most dangerous animals encountered by visitors to the various U.S. and Canadian national parks and will attack humans if provoked. They appear slow because of their lethargic movements, but can easily outrun humans; bison have been observed running as fast as 40 mph (64 km/h).
Between 1980 and 1999, more than three times as many people in Yellowstone National Park were injured by bison than by bears. During this period, bison charged and injured 79 people, with injuries ranging from goring puncture wounds and broken bones to bruises and abrasions. Bears injured 24 people during the same time. Three people died from the injuries inflicted—one person by bison in 1983, and two people by bears in 1984 and 1986
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:14 am

Hi XL Target, I figured the photo's would be from the same area, a 2599 acre park!! That's huge!!
My friend commented that he could probably outrun me if they decided to charge.
My comment was that I would probably have to shoot him in the leg if that happened as I just have to outrun him. :)
neither would escape in any case- heck not even Usain Bolt could outrun a charging bison [emoji38] as I am sure you would know[emoji5]
A charging Bison isn't even going to notice a 9mm pistol round.

According to Wikipedia, Bison can be quite dangerous when provoked, hence the comment about trying to outrun them:

This is very true. The Indian Bison or Gaur as they are called here, have been known to take upto 25 bullets from a heavy rifle and still continue to charge!!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:56 pm

Hi XL Target, I figured the photo's would be from the same area, a 2599 acre park!! That's huge!!
Actually Minneopa State Park is one of the smaller ones.
We have 67 State parks in Minnesota which total about 267,000 acres (1,080 km2)
Some of them are over 30,000 acres.
One I was in last month had about 10,000 acres of unspoiled, uninhabited wilderness.

Bear and Bean Lakes overlook (Tettegouche State Park/Superior Hiking Trail)
From this view it is State Park as far as the eye can see.
The Superior Hiking trail is about 400 miles long and goes through eight State Parks.
I haven't had time to do more than a few sections of it.

Shovel Point, looking at Palisade Head. (Tettegouche State Park)
On the shores of Lake Superior. The State Park is behind me.

See my Minnesota State Parks thread.
I've visited several more since that thread was completed
I have been a little lax about adding to it as there didn't seem to be much interest in the subject.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:10 am

Some of them are over 30,000 acres.
One I was in last month had about 10,000 acres of unspoiled, uninhabited wilderness.
That's awesome!! Amazing to be hiking/camping through such areas with barely any people in sight for miles. Wish we could do the same here!

Fulfillmen
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Fulfillmen » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:52 am

Thanks for sharing with us.

Fulfillmen com out

ofbiro
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ofbiro » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:46 pm

I would be glad to attach an old picture, shot in 1995. I was waiting for a roe buck, older than 1 year, when this youngster came out of the forest and decided to see me.
I would be grateful for instructions about attaching pictures.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:54 pm

ofbiro wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:46 pm
I would be glad to attach an old picture, shot in 1995. I was waiting for a roe buck, older than 1 year, when this youngster came out of the forest and decided to see me.
I would be grateful for instructions about attaching pictures.
When you click on the post reply tab, at the bottom, you will see a tab that says 'attachment'. Simply click on that tab and then upload the photo from your computer or phone. It is quite simple. I will look forward to the photos.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

ofbiro
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ofbiro » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:04 pm

Years ago, the hunting syndicate I belonged to voted for a restriction to roe buck hunting. Six pointers yearling bucks (not too rare after a mild winter) became prohibited.
In a hot August evening, while sitting in ambush under a tree, I saw a young buck coming out of the forest. I called it and it moved toward me. When it was 20 meters away I reminded myself I had a camera in my back pack. I slowly extracted the camera and shot a picture (top image). The buck jolted, then decided to come closer and I thought "If you come nearer, I'll kick your nose!"
The buck decided to call it a day and went back to the forest.
The following morning I sat in the same place and the same buck got out and came toward me, but not so close as the previous day, then changes its mind and moved uphill.
Ten minutes I heard a shot. After half an hour I decided it was time to go downhill, to the farm where we gathered to show and weigh shot deers.
I learned that a yearling six pointer had been shot by another hunter.
The penalty for the broken rule was rather heavy: besides a fine and the confiscation of carcass and trophy, the culprit hunting permission for deer was suspended for three years. Just when that term expired, the local Fish and Game dept. forbade such restrictions, much severe than the regional law.

ofbiro
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ofbiro » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:09 pm

Vikram, I appreciate your kind advice, but I didn't succeed in attaching the pictures.
I would be grateful for more detailed suggestions

ofbiro
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ofbiro » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:41 pm

I tried again, without success and without any comment from the IfG members.
I gather that most of the members are not interested in hunting stories and pictures and that it is better I leave this forum.
Good bye.

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:10 pm

ofbiro wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:41 pm
I tried again, without success and without any comment from the IfG members.
I gather that most of the members are not interested in hunting stories and pictures and that it is better I leave this forum.
Good bye.
Don't so upset bro. May be due to festive time every one is busy.
Here every one likes the hunting stories and pictures and share their experiences as and when they can.
Attaching pics is simple. Pls do tale me you are posting from lap or cell. I am sharing screen shot of attaching pics.
Regards

Shivaji