India Takes Hard Line on Rhino Kills

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

India Takes Hard Line on Rhino Kills

Post by Sakobav » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:18 am

From Wall Street Journal Indian wardens going high tech to save the Rhinos

Article by Vibhuti aggarwal

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 80510.html

KAZIRANGA NATIONAL PARK, India—Sotybon Pegu, a forest guard here, is proud of his role in the deaths of two poachers this month.

Mr. Pegu said his crew came under fire from a group of four men armed with AK-47s hunting vulnerable one-horned rhinos. They shot back, killing two, while the others fled.

"I'm not answerable to anyone to protect the rhinos. I will not let anyone harm them," he said.

Authorities in the northeastern state of Assam, where Kaziranga is located, are taking a more muscular approach to combat poachers who killed 22 rhinos in the park last year, three times the number in 2010. So far this year, they have killed 13 rhinos from a species painstakingly brought back from the brink of extinction over the past century.

Enlarge Image

The state government is pushing hundreds more guards into Kaziranga, a park that draws more than 100,000 tourists each year to a poor region that has been torn by separatist violence. Assam is arming the guards for the first time with automatic weapons and plans to soon deploy drones to monitor poachers by air. The park guards also are now shielded from prosecution by the extension of state laws that protect them if they kill poachers in the line of duty.

The legal changes have alarmed human-rights groups, which say the changes could open the way for undocumented killings deep in the forest. Park authorities say 13 alleged poachers were killed in Kaziranga in the past three years. In 2009, no poachers were killed, with one killed the year before that.

"It is totally illegal and unconstitutional," said Kirity Roy, an activist working with the civil-rights group Masum in the neighboring state of West Bengal.

But park authorities, state and federal officials and lawyers, and the police investigating the latest deaths all say the new aggression against poachers is in line with federal laws and the constitution. They say it is needed to reverse the rise in rhino killings and allow park guards to defend themselves.

Poachers, they say, have become increasingly sophisticated, brandishing automatic weapons that have fueled simmering, decades-old separatist conflicts in India's northeast.

"Sometimes this is the only way" to stop poaching, said A.P. Rout, additional director general of police in Assam, of the latest killings.
India Real Time

Indian Rhino Poachers Shot Dead
Video Diaries: Rhinos of Kaziranga

Kaziranga, a 330-square-mile expanse on the southern bank of the swirling Brahmaputra River, which flows from the Tibetan Plateau to the Bay of Bengal, is one of the final sanctuaries of Rhinoceros unicornis, the one-horned rhino. The park, also home to tigers, wild elephants and numerous other animals, is a Unesco World Heritage Site and is popular with tourists for its elephant-back safaris.

In 1905, the British colonial government began to protect the area amid concerns that widespreadhunting had brought the number of rhino down to only a dozen animals. Those numbers in Kaziranga now have risen to almost 2,500, about 80% of the world-wide total, due to heavy penalties for poaching the animal since the 1950s.

"To keep it this way, it is important to guard every inch of land inside the park," said Niranjan Kumar Vasu, the park's director.

Experts say the increase in poaching is fueled by demand in East Asia for rhino horns, which are believed in traditional medicine to treat ailments such as arthritis and hangovers. The horns, which can fetch thousands of dollars, also are carved into bowls, cups or a piece of jewelry.

"This is an alarming situation," said Dipankar Ghose, a New Delhi-based rhino-conservation expert at the World Wide Fund for Nature. "The soaring demand for rhino horns in China and Vietnam is driving the slaughter."

Assam Police Phief Jayanta Narayan Choudhury says separatist groups operating in the Northeast have gotten involved in poaching to raise money, often teaming up with villagers who live on the park's periphery.

"Rebel groups from neighboring states, flush with money and armed with sophisticated weapons and communications are involved in the crime," he said.

In October, the state government began providing automatic weapons such as AK-47s to its Assam Forest Protection Force, a special armed unit. Some 500 guards from the force have been sent to Kaziranga in the past five months to back up the park's 150 permanent guards. The federal government said in December it would contribute 381.74 million rupees ($7 million) for the state's rhino-protection effort, park director Mr. Vasu said.

He said the government recently sent 300 automatic weapons to supplement aging Lee-Enfield rifles. Guards have not been given shoot-on-sight orders, but are allowed to fire in self-defense, he added.

Guards said that on March 6, a predawn patrol—including some guards armed with automatic weapons—followed the sound of gunfire to find four men hunting a rhino.

Forest guard Nomal Boro said the poachers opened fire and then tried to flee toward the Brahmaputra River. Mr. Boro said he and the other guards returned fire, killing two of the men.

Mr. Boro said he has no regrets, as he wants to save the rhinos. "Protecting them is difficult and dangerous," he said. "But we don't want to lose them."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: India Takes Hard Line on Rhino Kills

Post by Vikram » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:04 am

Navi,

Excellent article and thanks for sharing it. I am all for human rights and a completely within the legal framework kind of operations. Within that mandate, I see no reason to soft-pedal about armed poachers.If shooting them is what it takes, shoot as many of them as it takes. Organised poachers are some of the most ruthless and inhuman scum and suffering of animals do not matter to them at all.These are not those who poach to feed their families.

Another aspect is to take the heat to the end users who are the most responsible to this problem. There was a plan to poison the Rhino horns so that those who want enliven their otherwise defunct appendages with the help of mutilated and powdered Rhino horns, would themselves become defunct.I was all for that plan.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:26 am

It's really quite simple.
In most countries, if you shoot at a law enforcement officer, expect them to shoot back.
It has nothing to do with human rights.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:28 am

Vikram:

I agree with your final paragraph wholeheartedly. I can see your point about the poachers and certainly feel that the authorities need to do whatever it takes, even including the ultimate solutions when confronting these people, but the problem is the buyer, not the seller. As long as someone is willing to pay money, no matter how many times you fine/jail/shoot the poacher, there will always be someone else to take their place to make those profits.

I saw a piece awhile back on prostitution in Sweden. The Swedes removed all laws against people selling themselves as prostitutes. What they did was to make strong laws against the johns who patronize prostitutes. In other words, it was legal to sell, but very illegal to buy. Buying, if one was caught, also included public humiliation: those who bought had their names published in the newspapers and were held up to social ridicule -- somewhat like the old thing of parading the miscreant down the street with a sign around his neck for all to see.

I think the poison thing you suggest is a good idea. Since the stuff is being illegally exported, it's not like it would be against Indian citizens, anyway. It would deal with those who cause the trouble by funding the whole thing in the first place. Someone should hook up with Greenpeace or something, and the stuff they develop could be used to treat whales, as well.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:20 am

poachers population is more than tigers and rhino's so no problem in gunning down the poachers.
regards
dr.jk

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:45 am

Vikram wrote:Navi,
Excellent article and thanks for sharing it. I am all for human rights and a completely within the legal framework kind of operations. Within that mandate, I see no reason to soft-pedal about armed poachers.If shooting them is what it takes, shoot as many of them as it takes. Organised poachers are some of the most ruthless and inhuman scum and suffering of animals do not matter to them at all.These are not those who poach to feed their families.

Another aspect is to take the heat to the end users who are the most responsible to this problem. There was a plan to poison the Rhino horns so that those who want enliven their otherwise defunct appendages with the help of mutilated and powdered Rhino horns, would themselves become defunct.I was all for that plan.
Best-
Vikram
> There was a plan to poison the Rhino horns so that those who want enliven their otherwise defunct appendages with the help of mutilated and powdered Rhino horns, would themselves become defunct.I was all for that plan. :agree:
> Now its up-to the forensic labs to formulate this poison - safe for the Rhinos - But lethal for its consumer :lol:
Briha

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:50 am

"It is totally illegal and unconstitutional," said Kirity Roy, an activist working with the civil-rights group Masum in the neighboring state of West Bengal.
It would help if the good lady would read the Constitution first.She would find these words written in it "To protect the flora and fauna of the country". Shooting a poacher shooting at the forest guards violates which law? Nothing illegal or unconstitutional about this policy.I hope all the guards are armed with AK's.

Thanks for sharing this ngrewal.

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:15 pm

Dear xl_target/ vikram,
I echo your views and agree totally. Would gladly volunteer places like in Melghat (where tigers are poached with live electric wires) should the Forest Ministry open its doors for freelancers.
Regs,
A.

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:21 pm

airgun_novice wrote:Dear xl_target/ vikram,
I echo your views and agree totally. Would gladly volunteer places like in Melghat (where tigers are poached with live electric wires) should the Forest Ministry open its doors for freelancers.
Regs,
A.
high time they did.
regards
dr.jk