Hunt in Hungary

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Hunt in Hungary

Post by Safarigent » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:09 am

You are correct.
In a sense, i wonder if this applies to using a horse to shield your approach to an animal might fall in the same bracket of questionable practises?
A. You are concealing your approach.
B. Your quarry will not be spooked by seeing a horse.
To Excellence through Diligence.

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:09 am

TwoRivers wrote:
Safarigent wrote:Yes, it is legal there.
[/color]I dont think i would do it again, but its legal.
I am more than happy shooting rabbits from a moving vehicle, so i question myself as to why the innate reluctance to shoot game from a vehicle too? Thats over and above the legality of it
The reasoning is, that game is used to seeing cars and does not necessarily associate them with humans. Therefore is not afraid and will not run and can be approached much closer, giving the hunter an advantage he would not otherwise have. From hunting to shooting. And that's what makes some of us hesitate to do so, and makes it illegal in many places. Cheers.
Hi TwoRivers.
"From Hunting to Shooting"

You said it all - Couldn't have put it better :D
Briha

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:33 pm

[quote="Safarigent"]
In a sense, i wonder if this applies to using a horse to shield your approach to an animal might fall in the same bracket of questionable practises?

Good question. But your smell is not masked from the animal as it would be within a car, and by exhaust fumes. I don't think I'd have misgivings in using a horse, or terrain features, to conceal my approach. A camouflaged hide or tree-stand, too, might be considered a questionable practice by someone taking an extreme view. But all predators use tricks. If they gave their prey an even chance, they'd quickly become extinct.

doctor
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by doctor » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:26 pm

Safarigent wrote:
At this point, i took out my knife and slit his throat and finally put him to sleep. Poor chap.
Not exactly a purists joy, this last evening of hunting, but it was a learning experience. And i will admit, very exhilerating!
that takes guts to run the knief rather than one more shot. sends the shivers down the spine.
excellent write up.
thanks for sharing

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:41 pm

Just being a devils advocate:
So, if predators do things to increase the odds of their success, then why is hunting from trucks looked down upon? And even illegal in certain countries?
After we can argue that a fair bit of game hunting is not for meat, but also for trophies and the sheer pleasure of pursuing the sport.
Should one then balance out the odds completely to make this a sport?

Something akin to an argument i read in a book;
A: The ascent to everest must be made unaided, so you cant use oxygen tanks.
B: if you want unaided, then why allow boots, tents etc? Surely these are artificial aids as well?

Personally what i believe:
1. I wont shoot anythng unless its a vermin, edible or a direct threat to my life.
2. I am comfortable using means like lamping, etc for Vermin, like crows, rabbits, pigeons, foxess etc.
3. I am not comfortable shooting game animals at night, or using means i would consider unfair.

Doctor;
Its a shameful feeling when you havent managed to put an animal out of its misery. That animal suffered for a few minutes but i shall suffer the ignominy, shame and sorrow for ever. Maybe i shouldnt have taken a shot i wasnt comfortable with it 200% we could have let it go, we could have tried going closer. Was i impatient because this was my last outing before leaving and i wanted my red deer? Not very noble thought and none which will elicit charity from anyone reading this.

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:17 pm

I love your stories and the way you write them AB.
Since you have asked for "critisim and comments" here is one thing which I, as a hunter and a wildlife lover, would have never done.
You shot the stag at more than 200 yards. A difficult shot to take. You hit him but he got up and went into the hedge.
Then you shot this doe (who was comparitively closer and a safer shot) and got her cleanly.

Personally I would have not taken a shot (however easy) at another animal till I had got the first one. There is always a chance (depending on the terrain) of injuring and loosing both animals in such a situation.
Ethically my priority would have been to follow up and get the first stag before thinking of another animal.
......"A bird in hand is better than two in the bush".

Thanks for completing the story. Waiting for the snaps and details of your "Hunt in England". Should ease my "acidity". :wink:

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:15 pm

You are right.
In hindsight, imagine, if i had injured the doe as well! We set out at a time when shooting light was failing fast as we were proceeding towards a high seat.
It would have been better to go and finish up what one started.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:34 pm

[quote="Safarigent"]Just being a devils advocate:

Should one then balance out the odds completely to make this a sport?

If you consider hunting a "sport", then yes. But hunting isn't really a sport. It is unfortunate that the English language calls hunting a sport; and that is treated by some participants as such. It is a primeval passion. As humans we use our brains all the time to improve our chances of success, yet we also have an innate sense of "fairness". Some of us, at least. How we balance those two becomes the question. Not all of us will do it alike.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 pm

Thats the rub of it!
I was conversing with a gent from the USA who said he never goes after wounded pigs at night.
The reasoning being that a wounded boar is a very dangerous thing and it is not worth the effort if you are doing pest control. While he aims to kill, if not, he wont go after it that night, but the next morning, if at all.
Novice me ofcourse had an objection to that.
We finally agreed that i could not form a concrete opinion one way or the other till such time i was actually in that situation.

It boils down to your own innate sense of fairness, which varies in society from time to time.
There was that outfit in texas providing remote controlled hunting. Which was outside the ambit of most peoples ideas of fair play. Enough hullaballo was created, that i believe they shut down.
Maybe tomorrow, that might be accepted.

This then leads me to ask my next question:
If fairness is something for a hunter to set standards on, what business does government have to say whats right and whats wrong?

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:36 pm

Excellent narration Arjun,
Thanks for finally completing the story. Wish we had more pictures.
Since you asked for opinions, here is mine. Next time go hunting when the sun shines bright :D

:cheers:

TC

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:44 pm

[quote="prashantsingh"]
I love your stories and the way you write them AB.
Since you have asked for "criticism and comments" here is one thing which I, as a hunter and a wildlife lover, would have never done....
I would have not taken a shot (however easy) at another animal till I had got the first one. Ethically my priority would have been to follow up and get the first stag before thinking of another animal.

> Well said Prashant :agree:
Briha

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:10 am

Thats what i am a firm believer of now.
Finish what you have started and dont act like john wayne.
Thanks TC, next hunt had more pictures and i am waiting for shooter to upload them!
:)

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:38 am

Safarigent wrote:Thats what i am a firm believer of now.
Finish what you have started and dont act like john wayne.
Thanks TC, next hunt had more pictures and i am waiting for shooter to upload them!
:)
Eagerly waiting Arjun

Cheers

TC