Pop 'em between the eyes: they charge when wounded

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Pop 'em between the eyes: they charge when wounded

Post by xl_target » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:48 am

Vikram wrote:
Mack The Knife wrote:Frankly, I couldn't give a rats ar5e about the scientific name. :mrgreen:

In India, big rats are refered to as bandicoots or bandis for short.

Same here.LOL.

They are commonly called bandicoots in our parts too and in Telugu "Pandikokkus"-literal translation pig-rats. Huge SoBs.

BTW, When I typed "Pandikokku" in google, it automatically translated it into "Was assembled" in Estonian! :shock: Funny world.

Best-
Vikram
To expand on Vikrams post:

Here a Wikipedia reference
The word itself is often used as a common name for any of them, and is an anglicised form of the Telugu word పందికొక్కు (pandi-kukka), loosely, pig-dog
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandicoot

Also here is the Merriam Webster dictionary reference to "Bandicoot"
1: any of several very large rats (genera Bandicota and Nesokia) of southern Asia destructive to crops.

2: any of various small chiefly insectivorous and herbivorous marsupial mammals (family Peramelidae or family Peroryctidae) of Australia, Tasmania, and New Guinea.

So when we talk of Bandicoot's, in this case, we are not merely talking about Antipodean Marsupials.

Other references: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandicoot_Rat
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:03 am

Mack The Knife wrote:Frankly, I couldn't give a rats ar5e about the scientific name. :mrgreen:
I see. And I thought you were always the resident mr pedant :mrgreen:
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:28 am

I still am :mrgreen: but not to the extent of pointing at a big rat and saying, "Look, Anand, there goes a (insert the poxy Latin name for it), pop the bu99er! :mrgreen:

P.S.: XL, stop giving me a headache early in the morning. Go to bed!