Maneka flays MP move to legalise hunting Nilgai

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
kasimpatel
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Maneka flays MP move to legalise hunting Nilgai

Post by kasimpatel » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:03 am

Criticising the move to legalise hunting of Nilgai (Asian Antelope) by Madhya Pradesh government in a bid to protect crops, animal rights activist and BJP MP Maneka Gandhi on Monday alleged that resort owners and poachers are behind such proposals.

Gandhi, who was in Bhopal, slammed Forest Minister Sartaj Singh for initiating the move and recommended that he quit his post that involves protecting tigers and forests. Calling it ‘tourism hunting’, the activist alleged that the syndicate of resort owners, at times owned by politicians and poachers instigate a few farmers to stage protests. According to her, no farmer wants to kill Nilgai but tourists from Delhi and abroad, who want to hunt for sport, fuel such demands. The minister said, “No resort owner is my friend. I don’t know what has been said about me. It’s up to the government to take a call on regulated hunting,’’ Singh said. He said rules in MP allow such hunting since 2000.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/manek ... i/1056120/

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Maneka flays MP move to legalise hunting Nilgai

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:44 am

kasimpatel wrote:According to her, no farmer wants to kill Nilgai...
ROTFL She either has no clue how farmers feel about the Nilgai menace or she's lying, as is her stock-in-trade.

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:32 am

Should have learned from neighbor ( Pakistan ).

People living in such high places can comment and give their judgements about the things that they never knew off. Beauty

Has she ever set her foot in dirt or mud let alone farms or farmers - Haji
Last edited by Hammerhead on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Biren
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Biren » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:25 am

Wat she spoke for is her bread and butter... nothing new.. in my home district its not uncommon to find farmers carrying home less then what they carried to sow.. all due to wild boars..

Rgds,
Biren

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:54 pm

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:02 am

They will be compensated at 500 bucks a cartridge.Wonder how many will be needed to kill one of them?The govt might go broke.And only Biharis with licensed weapons can shoot.Sad.
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:20 am

ha ha ha her usual natak.
dr.jk

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:50 am

Reminds me of the time when she was minister of forests or wildlife, or something, went to Guwahati, and was "horrified" to see the caged birds. Immediately ordered them released. The zookepers' protests were overruled (the minister being their ultimate boss, of course), and the birds were set free. Unfortunately, many of them had been born in the cages, and many of the others had "unlearnt" the ability to survive. As per the Zoo Director later, only 10% of them were estimated to have survived.

Also reminds me of another lady, the one who raised all that natak on the cola makers. She's a big shot in environment now. Dunno whether she's seen any forest, let alone being in one!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

thakur
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by thakur » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:37 pm

IMHO Maneka Gandhi's approach is based on two aspects, ban on hunting and cruelty to animals. Hunting is banned as per law so lets leave it aside for the moment. On the second aspect why is she not apposing use of animals in pulling loads in carts etc. Is this allowed as per law (I don't know)? Does this not amount to cruelty to the animals? You can see horses, mules, buffalos and bullocks used for pulling overladen carts. They are mercilessly beaten, malnourished and are a sad sight on the roads.

Currently during the sugarcane harvest season you can see (in UP) long lines of carts drawn by buffalos slowly making their way to the nearest sugarcane mill. On reaching the mill they sometimes have to wait for long hours with the cart and full load awaiting their turn for weighing and offloading. Isn't this cruel? Where is Ms. Gandhi? What she is doing is cheap publicity and political hypocricy so typical of India.
Cheers,
Thakur

"Shoot well - Lens or Rifle"