Second upland bird hunt of the season - 2012

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Second upland bird hunt of the season - 2012

Post by shooter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:52 pm

dear conty,

please can you explain how pheasant hunts work there. asking because you stated you bagged x amount of birds out of a y amount released.

regards
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

For Advertising mail webmaster
conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:01 pm

Shooter -

So when you go hunt on one of these private hunting 'preserves' here in the US, you buy a package first. Based on what the preserve has to offer, you choose your birds. We chose a mix package of chukars and pheasants. X number of birds for $ !! Now, that is the number of birds that will be 'released'. Meaning the guide and dog will help you 'point' where the birds are and make them fly from their hiding places in the field. It is upto us, the hunters how many we 'bag'. We could potentially bag all or none... doesn't matter!!

Hope that helps!!

- Amit

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

siddikpatel
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by siddikpatel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:36 pm

hi conty,
please pass my massage to Dad " hi Suresh uncle, we also wait here... please come soon"

- Siddik Patel

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:48 pm

Thanks amit.
A bit different to how its done here. Over here a set number of birds are released in the beginning of the year. They are wild by the hunting season. Then on shoot days we go and shoot. the survivors may live into the next season but more birds are released the next year and so on and so forth. About one third of the released birds get shot (this is an average; varies between 25%-40%). that ways it is ensured that the bird numbers will never go down.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:53 pm

shooter wrote:dear conty,

please can you explain how pheasant hunts work there. asking because you stated you bagged x amount of birds out of a y amount released.

regards
A lot depends on the size of the estate/preserve you are hunting. Some work just like Amit says. Some work like you have stated.
Some, like in the Dakotas will just give you a guide and a dog and you have to find the birds.
Some will give just give you a place to sit (waterfowl) and the rest is up to you.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:08 pm

Ask arjun to write about his trip for the driven shoot

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:16 pm

Wow hai bhai wow hai.

You are so lucky to be able to do it every year. Say my Hi to uncle, he is great company.

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:48 pm

Will do paji.

Tussi itthe ho aaj kaal yaar? Vapas aane wale ho US ya nahi???

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:02 pm

conty1 wrote:Will do paji.

Oi itthe nahin Kitthe :)

Q2 of next year may be but texas side, no plan for windy city as of now.
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:27 am

kanwar76 wrote:
conty1 wrote:Will do paji.

Oi itthe nahin Kitthe :)

Q2 of next year may be but texas side, no plan for windy city as of now.
Aare let me know when you finalise the dates... we'll plan a hunting trip at the 'king's ranch'... been a while I've been contemplating it :)

Cheers,
Amit