Some hunting pics:

Here you can post images from your favorite events, places, yourself or your family to share with other site members.
shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Some hunting pics:

Post by shooter » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:43 am

When you say White Fronted Goose, you mean to say Specklebelly goose like this one

Thats right. But unfortunately, I havent shot one yet. Some how in the last two seasons, none of my mates have either.
Nice browning
Thanks herb.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

For Advertising mail webmaster
drifter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by drifter » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:38 pm

Shooter,

Great pics, would love to join the party. The bbq looked great. You dress the birds by skinning them or leave the skin on?.

Reg drifter

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:33 pm

You dress the birds by skinning them or leave the skin on?.

A very good question. Depends on school of cooking and the cuisine, the species and the last, but not the least the condition of the bird.

First we have to understand why leave the skin on in the first place. The answer is flavour.
Some species taste better with the skin others dont. However this can be subjective. For eg. when i was in south India, it was common to have chicken cooked with the skin on but in the north, highly unusual.
For goat, skin is never left on but when cooking 'siri' or 'paya', it is.
Pork is commonly eaten with the skin on; beef isnt.

The rule fo thumb is (heard it from both Indian khansamas and also Western chefs) (for the birds),
if there is fat, leave the skin on, else let it be.

Many people dont follow this and leave it on regardless of the amount of fat on the body.
Some birds like partridges dont have fat anyways but winter geese do (mostly).

The preferred method is that if there is no fat, remove the skin and wrap the bird in streaky bacon.
The bacon provides both fat and flavour.

In western cooking, game birds are usually roasted and are also hung to improve the flavour (in india we call it 'high' and not highly tasty.

The skin and fat act as a barrier for the moisture to escape and keep the meat moist and succulent. So does the bacon.

Indian cooking, on the other hand is more masala flavour oriented and hence leaving it on or off doesnt need to be dependent on the fat content nor does it affect the taste greatly.

I discard the skin on the phesant (hope none of my shooting buddies are reading this). In teal i keep it on. Discard in partridges. Keep it on in duck, depends on the fat in geese.
My last phesant of the season was so ladeninfat, it was unbelievable. It wasnt possible to see the flesh. Too bad i had already discardedthe skin. In waterfowl, one expects to have fat so I always check before skinning them; but who ever heard of a phesant with soooo much fat so i never checked. Maybe in the next season i will.

If the skin is off, i cooked bhoona meat else some western/continental cooking.

-- 09 Jun 2010, 13:23 --
We do almost exclusively "walk-up" hunting in the US, but of course we have a lot more land here. The whole of the UK is smaller than a medium sized state.

In the decadent Edwardian era, the way of hunting/ quarry was divided by class.

Roaylty and nobility hunted grouse/ Commoners hunted pigeon. (Itwasnt the law but common practice).

Similarly, driven shoots were for the aristocracy and walked up for the commoners. In those days British empire was huge and they had a lot of land.
For eg imagine one 'country that included Burma, India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Afghanistan. Even in India they did driven shoots mostly.

Driven shoots in those days were more of social events and were very formal. A social standing of a man was determined a lot by his ability to handle a gun.

AfterWW1, in caqsh strapped Britain, a lot of big estates were broken down and sold/leased.

a lot of people started forming syndicates. There was an article in a magazine in those days which stated (with disdain) that anyone with a gun and a couple of hundred pounds could now shoot.

These people also wanted to shoot like aristocracy. And hence driven shooting still being a part of culture here. It is still considered more of a social event. Starts with a drink first thing in the morning, formal dress, etiquette, toasts etc.
You will notice in my syndicate they arent very formal but elsewhere they might be.

These gora sahibs, would shoot everything driven, even tigers. Sit in one place, let others sweat it out and you have gunbearers, loaders and just do the shooting.

However this heavy volume of shooting produced some exceptional shooters. Since these were almost aristocracy, they never answered to the challanges posed by the visiting american sharpshooters, or entered competitions.

Lord Walsingham, Marquess of Ripon, Prince Duleep Singh; All experts concede they were the best three shots in the world; the only argument is the order.

Just to give you some idea, the 6th marquess of Ripon, Thomas de Grey once had 7 dead phesants in the air at the same time from 7 different shots!! And this with SxS.
Last edited by shooter on Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

drifter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by drifter » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:31 pm

Shooter,

I was under the impression that if the fat content was more the skin is to be discarded and if it was less to be left on the bird(south indian thinking I guess), I have learnt something new. In oriential cooking generally all birds with or without fat content the skin is left on the bird. When the skin is on and the bird is roasted it gives a crispy and succulent texture.

reg drifter.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:53 pm

Lovely. Thanks for all the info. :D
/S/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:47 pm

I was under the impression that if the fat content was more the skin is to be discarded and if it was less to be left on the bird

Yes generally people think so. Old cooks showed me the trick to prick the skin of the goose etc with the tip of the knife, this way one can ascertain the fat content.

See the shooting times video below, its about cleaning a phesant but hear the explanation about the skin and fat. (Unfortunately i couldnt find an equivalent Indian video).

[youtube][/youtube]
WARNING: this video might contain disturbing images

Please note that you will find other videos on youtube telling you to leave the skin on but these are usually home videos by individuals and not experts.

In a nutshell, its your choice and in indian cooking, it really doesnt matter much. (Hear the part in the video where he says a skinless phesant will make a good casseroll). Indian cooking is similar as there is water added to make curry/gravy.

drifter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by drifter » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:45 pm

thanks very informative

reg drifter

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:56 pm

Thanks for this "Post" to the hunter, shooter, expert chef, shikar historian , gun owner, deer stalker , conservationist, environmentalist and movie critic.
I am sure I missed out a few things.

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:10 pm

prashantsingh wrote:Thanks for this "Post" to the hunter, shooter, expert chef, shikar historian , gun owner, deer stalker , conservationist, environmentalist and movie critic.
I am sure I missed out a few things.
Doc..

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:37 pm

Hunting pic left me ROTFL
and the remaining thread made me hungry and :roll:

I loved it man, lovely pics and even better write up, thanks a ton for sharing it.

Evils eye, welll :wink:

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:36 pm

Thanks sa_ali.

Just curious, what part left you ROTFL ROTFL ?

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:52 pm

Thanks for sharing, shooter! That was a treat !
Regards,
Yaj.
The more people I meet,the more i like my dog!

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:24 pm

shooter wrote:Just curious, what part left you ROTFL ROTFL ?
It was not in negative, i meant, wanting more, drooling over it. I jst noticed that the description for that emotcon is Rolling on floor. :oops:

vidushbhandari
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by vidushbhandari » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:25 pm

Wow, enjoyed every bit of It.