Reincarnated EDC

Here you can post images from your favorite events, places, yourself or your family to share with other site members.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Reincarnated EDC

Post by xl_target » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:23 am

The two main things that I want in a carry gun are that it must go bang every time I pull the trigger and i must be able to hit what I aim at. My everyday carry pistol is a ex German Police SIG P6 (made in 1979). The little pistol was accurate, smooth and never failed to feed or extract, no matter what I fed it. Just a precision made piece of old-time German engineering. I really enjoyed shooting it and made it my EDC. It did have a bit of holster wear on it and after a while of daily carry, the slide was looking rather leprous. I tried to blacken it and really screwed it up. I still carried it daily as I really liked the way it fits my smaller than normal hand. It is also slimmer than most of the compacts out there and conceals well for me.

A while back, my daughter expressed an interest in the shooting sports and she liked the way the P6 felt so I decided to refinish it and give it to her for her 21st birthday. She has modeled for Oleg and he expressed a desire to also give her something for her 21st. When I told him about the P6 and he saw what it looked like, he arranged for it to be refinished by Sean of Galt's Guns. I must say that Sean did a great job and I would highly recommend him. To really see what a great job he did, you should go to this link and click on the image to see the full size photo. The photos of course, are classic Oleg!
Why is it Green? She likes Green. (photo by Oleg) In sunlight, the color is a little darker than the photos.

I switched my EDC to another one of my guns but it just wasn't as slim nor did it feel as good as the P6. My wife got sick of my whining and told me to pick up another one. I looked around locally and just didn't see any around. Some of the mail order houses had them but I didn't care for the heel mag release. Much as I would have liked to, I didn't want to pay almost $800 for a new P225 (the civilian version of the P6 - now discontinued) that one vendor was offering.
I used our local sporting goods store to send the P6 to Sean and when I went to pick up the gun, I spent some time browsing their pistol displays. What do you know? There was a minty P225 (1987) in the used section. Of course, I started salivating and had to have it. I took it apart and it looked like it had never been fired! The rails and barrel were pristine and none of the moving surfaces were marked. Even the mags didn't have any scratches on them and the followers were unmarked. The manager said that I would be surprised at the number of guns they take in on trade that have never been fired. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around that.

I cleaned, greased and oiled it and I went down to my gun club range and ran a couple of hundred rounds through it.
I was all ready to run some malfunction drills but the gun ran flawlessly quite renewing my faith in SIG's advertising copy. Not a single hiccup, even with three different kinds of JHP!
Needless to say, I'm thrilled to have my EDC back.

“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Reincarnated EDC

Post by jonahpach » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:54 pm

Looks beautiful.. I had the opportunity to try a sig 226 a couple of months ago.. really smooth weapon but somehow a Cz-75 or glock sits better in my hands!

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:04 am

Jonah,
I don't have anything against the Glock but they just don't feel right in my hands.
I agree with you about the feel of the CZ75. I have a CZ75 P-06 in 40 S&W and I really enjoy shooting it.
However, it is bigger, bulkier and weighs more than the SIG and doesn't conceal as well. The single stack P225/P6 is one that really fits my hand and since its overall dimensions are smaller than the CZ, I prefer it for a carry gun.
I did carry the CZ and while it worked fine in the winter under a coat, it just doesn't conceal well under a T-shirt in the summer.
The P225/P6 has the slimmest grip of the P series SIG's and the slide width is less than any of my other pistols (except my Beretta .22 :) )
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:40 am

That green finish looks so awesome on that P6. Very nice pics. :cheers:

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:34 am

Xl

Thats a great looking gun although SIG I fired at a range in Manhattan ( yup there is one) may be it was P226 lot of plastic jumped a lot. More than likely it was my grip and inexperience but always wanted the SIG P210 the old work horse.

Best

mannvikram
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by mannvikram » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:31 am

Like the venomous looks of the green one

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:01 am

ngrewal wrote:Xl

Thats a great looking gun although SIG I fired at a range in Manhattan ( yup there is one) may be it was P226 lot of plastic jumped a lot. More than likely it was my grip and inexperience but always wanted the SIG P210 the old work horse.

Best
Ngrewal... in Manhattan? I didn't think such a thing was possible in the Republik of Noo Yawk :D
SIG did make some polymer guns like the P2340 and the P2022. They also make the P250 now which has a polymer frame. If it was the P226, they're a nice gun. It was what the US navy SEALS used. I read a report on SIGForum where one of the military's practice P226's went a quarter of a million rounds before the slide cracked.
I'd love a P210 also but I don't think my first born is amenable to being sold any longer.. sigh.
Like the venomous looks of the green one
Boa Constrictor green? :)

amit_sharma86
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by amit_sharma86 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:14 am

very very nice pics