WWII & Rifles of interest

Here you can post images from your favorite events, places, yourself or your family to share with other site members.
CZHarry
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

WWII & Rifles of interest

Post by CZHarry » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:47 am

"m24" requested some pics of my oldies.
I have collected what is known as "Curio and Relics", having a license to do so. It allows license holders to purchase these weapons directly from the distributor. The BATF chooses which weapons qualify, but in simple terms it's weapons which are 50+ years old, or are designated as a "curio". However, not all 50+ yr old firearms qualify and some qualifying arms are less than that age. The Feds make the rules.
Some of these pics are mine, some are from other sources that look much better than my photos.

First is the Number5-Mk1 Enfield "Jungle Carbine". I have 2 of these. I have a couple of other Enfields too but couldn't get pics. Without padding, the carbines really hurt my shoulder.
Carbine with (reproduction) Bowie Knife bayonet.

Closer view of the receiver.

This is a Wire Wrapped SMLE with the grenade launcher. I didn't get this attachment with mine.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next are the Communist Bloc & Cold War.
The Mosin-Nagant model 91/59

Closer view of the reciever of the 91/59.
I have another earlier model too, but it is very similar looking to the 91/59.

This is the Czech VZ-24. Shoots 8mm.

This is the left side of the VZ-24. Can you see it has 2 sets of sling loops?

And the Czech CZ-52 pistol. Shoots 7.62x25.
Must have got a good deal on these, I have four of them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a Polish Mosin-Nagant M-44 with the side-folding Spike Bayonet.

I also have a couple of Russian M-44s, but I can't get to them to take pics.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Yugo 59/66 SKS with under-folding blade bayonet..

The Albanian Communist Flag.

This is the fairly rare Albanian SKS. The Albanian SKS is different than any of the millions of the SKS model produced by all the other Communist bloc nations. Besides some other unique differences, the Albanian SKS has an AK-47 type charging handle.
Left & Right View.

Mine arrived packed in more Cosmoline than I have ever seen. It's like they were dipped in a tank of hot cosmoline before being wrapped for storage.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lastly are the French MAS Rifles. I have two types.

French MAS-36 bolt action. Spike bayonet stores under the barrel.

But this is my favorite. There is no mistaking this for a civilian rifle. I'd shoot it more, but the ammo is expensive and must be mail ordered. As far as I know, the French battle rifles are the only ones that shoot this round.
The MAS 49/56 Semi-Auto. Shoots 7.5x54.

Here are a couple of pics of what is issued with it. This is how I received mine.

Open Receiver and some linked surplus ammo.

For Advertising mail webmaster
m24
Veteran
Veteran

Re: WWII & Rifles of interest

Post by m24 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:00 pm

Sir, you have made my day. Words won't do justice to what I'm feeling now. :D This post, from today onwards, gets a regular viewing from me.

I thank you for collating these pics, yours and others, and sharing them with us.

Ah!!! to own even one of them.... :roll:

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:42 pm

doesnt the side sling loop touch the face in the albanian sks when mounted and during recoil?
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:49 pm

well done you have a good old collection.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

CZHarry
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by CZHarry » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:06 pm

Thanks for the compliment. I hope to get photos of the rest sometime.
I'll add these 2 photos of me firing the Mosin-Nagant 91/59 at the range early last year.
The recoil is so hard that my shoulder was sore and black & blue the first time I took this to the range. You will notice I have fitted a slip-on recoil pad onto the butt end.

Taking aim.

Fire!
An interesting side effect of the Mosin carbines is the very impressive fireball that leaves the muzzle, when shooting after dusk.
Try to imagine what the Nazis saw, being on the receiving end of thousands of Russians firing at them.

CZHarry
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by CZHarry » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:27 pm

shooter wrote:doesnt the side sling loop touch the face in the albanian sks when mounted and during recoil?
That's very observant of you. That particular sling loop does indeed dig right into your cheek, and is quite annoying. Old reviews of the Albanian always mention that annoyance.

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:14 am

Any M1 Garand in your arsenal?? The fireball from the MN does look impressive there.

Regards

CZHarry
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by CZHarry » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:25 pm

m24 wrote:Any M1 Garand in your arsenal?? The fireball from the MN does look impressive there.

Regards
Ah yes, the M1 Garand. General George Patton called it; "The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised".
For many years we could buy almost any non-US military gun ever made, but we could not buy an M1 Garand. Forgot the exact reason now, but it was almost impossible to get one.
During & after WWII, the US gov't loaned, leased and gave hundreds of thousands of the Garands to many other governments. Fifty yrs later they began returning them. Thank God for the Civilian Markmanship Program (CMP) which allows US citizens to purchase these fine weapons, most of which had been well cared for & rearsenaled.
http://www.odcmp.com/about_us.htm
Not cheap from the CMP, but certainly much less than from a private dealer or seller, the Garand is considered a prized possession for collectors and shooters. The CMP has been around a long time, but when the Garands and M1 Carbines started coming back, they went to the CMP for distribution to qualified US citizens (there are always rules to follow).
But I digress.

I have always wanted one, and I vowed that once I bought an M1 Garand, there was no need for me to buy anything else. I procrastinated for too long and all of a sudden I was retired, and I had not put in my qualifications to buy one when I was still working. Now, the monetary outlay would be frivolous on my fixed 'income'.
However, I have a plan. I intend to sell off some of my guns since they have gone up slightly in value, if I can find buyers. Part of my diobolical plan also includes much whining about how much I want one, when my wife can hear me. If she doesn't leave me, I think she may either have pity on me or be sick of my constant whining, and maybe offer to get me one just to shut me up.
I really need one before I get too old to hold it up and fire it, or forget why I arrived at the range with it.

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:41 pm

CZHarry wrote:Part of my diobolical plan also includes much whining about how much I want one, when my wife can hear me. If she doesn't leave me, I think she may either have pity on me or be sick of my constant whining, and maybe offer to get me one just to shut me up.
Amen to that wish of yours. :)

Regards

Novus Collectus
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Novus Collectus » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:05 pm

CZHarry, not sure when you bought your CZ52s, but if you bought them when I did you should know they have tripled in online auction price in just four years due to their being no longer available from the major US importers.
Selling three of your CZ52s would easily get you an M1 Garand.

The M44s are going for twice what they were just three years ago.

MAS 49/56 I have no idea what they go for since I have not even seen them on the mass market since I have been collecting with my C&R FFL. However I have a feeling you could sell just that with its accessories and probably buy an M1 with the same money.

If your jungle carbine Enfield is not a conversion and is original, then it too is worth a whole lot more now than what they were being sold for three years ago.....but even conversions are worth some bucks.

So in short, if you sell just a small portion of what you posted here in this thread then you can easily afford an M1 Garand.....and still have made a darn nice profit.

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:45 pm

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

dazzled :shock:

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:06 am

CZ harry

You have great guns ..thanks for sharing

best

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:56 am

Harry,

Thank you for sharing the pictures with us. The muzzle blast from that Mosin-Nagant is awesome.How is the recoil from the rifle? Nasty? I once was recounted a very hilarious tale about someone witnessing a .460 Weatherby that belched "faar" ten feet. :shock: :lol:

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."