My Glock 22 RTF

Here you can post images from your favorite events, places, yourself or your family to share with other site members.
rcdoma
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

My Glock 22 RTF

Post by rcdoma » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:10 am

Hi Friends!

I was eyeing the Glock 22 RTF(rough textured frame) ever since I heard about the issues with Ruger's SP101 revolver in .327 Mag. I liked the way the fourth generation RTF's grip felt in my hand compared to the third generation frame, which had more pronounced finger grooves. I finally made the plunge last week.

Went to the gun store on Monday, selected the pistol, filled out the Federal form 4473 (Firearms Transaction Record) and provided the required documentation. After verifying my eligibility, the dealer called the FBI for an instant background check and was told to delay the sale. The dealer called me the next day and said the FBI called back and they could proceed. I went to the store on Wednesday, paid and walked out with my new Glock 22 RTF.

Went to the range last Saturday and shot 200 rounds through it. The first two target pictures were taken after shooting 15 rounds at each target from 50 feet. I didn't know how bad I was shooting till I went to see the target at ceasefire :-) It took me some time to get used to the pistol/trigger. The rangemaster told us that this caliber was too big for their 7 yard pistol range, so I was stuck at the 50 feet range.

I had one failure to feed after shooting around 100 rounds. It happened as soon as I loaded a full magazine(the last bullet had to be forced in real hard). The first round chambered, fired and ejected fine but the second round did not chamber. I had to tap the magazine and rack the slide a few times to get the round to chamber.

I know that .40 S&W ammo is unavailable in India, so I'll be getting a .22 conversion kit for practice and an extra .30 barrel when I come there on Transfer of Residence after a year.

Best,
Ram

For Advertising mail webmaster
marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: My Glock 22 RTF

Post by marksman » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:17 am

Try getting a huge amount of 40 s&w ammo with you under T.R. One can always deposit the access with the dealer under section 21(1)A and periodically withdraw them as per the quota allotted to you on the license. How ever, I would advise you to take some legal opinions too before doing this. The laws may have changed since.Getting a.22 conversion kit is swell of an idea. But don't forget to have it endorsed on your license. Fortunately, caliber change on the basic frame is still considered as "one Fire arm" here in India.
Marksman

BJL
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by BJL » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:16 am

Good buy. Are you going to bring this along with the Ruger on the same TR?
“To be both a speaker of words and a doer of deeds”- The Iliad.

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:39 pm

Ram,

The silhouette target you shot at mercilessly at 50 feet is of a woman in a kurta , now now, that is not very chivalrous, is it ? :lol:

Congratulations on the new Glock and the great bore .

best,

Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:49 pm

Congratulations.That's nice pistol there. I think the conversion kit is a very sound and practical idea.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

rcdoma
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rcdoma » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:33 pm

marksman wrote:Try getting a huge amount of 40 s&w ammo with you under T.R. One can always deposit the access with the dealer under section 21(1)A and periodically withdraw them as per the quota allotted to you on the license. How ever, I would advise you to take some legal opinions too before doing this. The laws may have changed since.Getting a.22 conversion kit is swell of an idea. But don't forget to have it endorsed on your license. Fortunately, caliber change on the basic frame is still considered as "one Fire arm" here in India.
Marksman
Thanks for sharing that info Marksman! I thought I can only bring in 50 cartridges on TR, it will be awesome if I can do what you said :D . I need to dig some more info on this to ensure that I don't get arrested for bringing in more than my quota of 50 cartridges :) .

I'm glad you reconfirmed that caliber conversion of one basic frame is considered a single firearm. Is there a link somewhere to the law that tells us this? I need to tune the .22 kit to work with KF ammo, wonder which US ammo is ballistically identical to KF .22 LR ammo.

-- Sun Aug 23, 2009 20:36 --
BJL wrote:Good buy. Are you going to bring this along with the Ruger on the same TR?
Thanks BJL! Just getting the Glock.

-- Sun Aug 23, 2009 20:39 --
The Doc wrote:Ram,

The silhouette target you shot at mercilessly at 50 feet is of a woman in a kurta , now now, that is not very chivalrous, is it ? :lol:

Congratulations on the new Glock and the great bore .

best,

Rp.
:oops: :)

-- Sun Aug 23, 2009 20:40 --
Vikram wrote:Congratulations.That's nice pistol there. I think the conversion kit is a very sound and practical idea.

Best-
Vikram
Thanks Vikram!

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:57 pm

Rcdoma,

Nice pistol.

The cartridge limit is 50 cartridges.

Bringing in the .22 conversion kit is going to be porblematic.From what I understand,unless the spare barrel/conversion kit is sold along with the firearm by the firearms manufacturer itself,it is a no go.Since you have a year, why not try to get clarification from the customs dept.

All the best.

rcdoma
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rcdoma » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:11 pm

Thanks Winnie! I'll clarify it with the customs officials before importing them. I know people have done it in the past.

I can import one firearm on TR, as long as the law says caliber conversions on the same frame are considered one firearm, I should be fine.

Amaresh
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Amaresh » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:34 pm

Congratulations Mr Ram on your fantastic posession.

Regards,
Amaresh.

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:09 pm

As far as I know, Fifty ctges are allowed duty free and one has to pay duty for the access. This rule is meant for a normal international passanger of Indian domicile coming back into the country. Domestic air passenger certainly cannot carry more then fifty in his/her check in baggage. Under the T.R. rules, I am sure they will allow you to get them in. If you are not allowed to possess more then fifty ctged at a time, you can deposit them with a reliable dealer, as I have mentioned earlier and keep withdrawing till you reach the yearly limit. Paying duty for access will still turn out cheaper I guess. BUT, it's always better to reconfirm with some one who actually knows the rules and the amendments if any. Ditto for the conversion kit.
Marksman

peacekeeper
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by peacekeeper » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:37 am

Ram where r u located in USA

rcdoma
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rcdoma » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:25 am

Thanks Amaresh and Marksman!

Peacekeeper I'm a resident of Texas, but I spend a lot of time on the East Coast too. I think you are planning for aTR, let me know if you have any other questions.

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:32 am

I think the maximum allowed is 50 cartridges as far as TR is concerned, this is a TR rule and not in the Arms law. For instance even if you have a maximum of 500 cartridges at a time on your license I dont think you can get more than 50. If this were at all possible any person going abroad could do just this, import say 400 or 500 cartrdiges and deposit them with an armoury. I have never seen or heard of this happening(I may be wrong on this).

The question then, of an inadequecy in imported ammunition of any caliber will not even arise.My undestanding of the law is that you can not do anything indirectly, that was prevented by law directly.(I am sure there are members that are better at reading the law than I am) :D
For example let me extrapolate: it is like bringing in more than one (say 2) firearm, and then saying you will deposit the second with the armoury and as soon as you get a license for it loaclly you will collect it.( I dont even know if thats a good example but you get the general idea. :) )

As far as conversion kits are concerned I have never heard that the kit has to be from the manufacturer of the firearm itself.The kits sold in America donot have serial numbers on the slide or barrel, only manufacturers details.So more info is needed here.
Regards,
Anand

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:30 pm

http://www.cbec.gov.in/travellers.htm

"IMPORT OF FIRE ARMS

- Import of firearms is strictly prohibited.

- Import of Cartridges in excess of 50 is also prohibited.

However, in the case of persons transferring their residence (as per conditions specified in the rules) to India for a minimum period of one year, one firearm of permissible bore can be allowed to be imported subject to the conditions that:

1) the same was in possession and use abroad by the passenger for a minimum period of one year and also subject to the condition that such firearm, after clearance, shall not be sold, loaned, transferred or otherwise parted with, for consideration or otherwise, during the lifetime of such person;

2) the passenger has a valid arms licence from the local (Indian) authorities;

3) the customs and other duties as applicable shall be paid. "

-- Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:35 pm --

http://www.hkp7.com/hk4/index.htm

A fellow was able to get it through after a court case.Have no details though as the fellow has gone back to USA

The rest is in a grey zone

rcdoma
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rcdoma » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:51 am

Thanks Anand and Winnie! I will only impoort 50 cartridges unless I can absolutely confirm otherwise. Its always good to know all possible options and opinions of other members especially of those who've "been there and done that" :-) .

I'm glad Marksman put it out there, so we can do a little more digging. We might even get lucky and someone who has done it or has legal knowledge might clarify things for the benefit of the community.

Winnie, I wanted to get that HK but its not in production and I didn't want a used one. As long as the law says that conversions using same frame are considered one firearm, conversion kits/barrels should be okay whether from same mfr or otherwise. Worst case, we might need a court order saying the same :).