A pretty Indian girl with her guns

Here you can post images from your favorite events, places, yourself or your family to share with other site members.
Oleg Volk
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

A pretty Indian girl with her guns

Post by Oleg Volk » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:16 am

For Advertising mail webmaster
Rottmeister
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: A pretty Indian girl with her guns

Post by Rottmeister » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:24 am

Ain't that too big for her? :o
The clash of honor calls -
To stand, when others fall.

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:59 pm

seems she is experienced,i think she can easily handle more bigger than this. :D

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:22 pm

Oleg Volk wrote:[ Image ]

More photos...
Lovely Picture once again Oleg... :)

I think your photography is second to none....at least in my book.

Thank you for sharing.

regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:32 pm

Great pictures,Oleg.I always liked your style of photography.As CC says, second to none.

And the young lady,I note, is quite accomplished in cowboy shooting it seems.

Thanks for sharing. :cheers:

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:34 pm

Hi Oleg, is it a 45-70 Win, am guessing its a big boomer...

-- Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:35 pm --

Hi Oleg, is it a 45-70 Win, am guessing its a big boomer...
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:43 pm

...and she is indeed pretty :)
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

Oleg Volk
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Oleg Volk » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:04 pm

Carbine and revolvers are 45 Colt, not 45-70. Still, she's only about 156cm and the rifle is long...

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:46 am

rottlord wrote:Ain't that too big for her?
Rottlord, Eljefe,
The rifle is a replica of a Winchester Model 1873.
For some interesting reading on that model of rifle, see: The gun that won the west
An 1873 with a slicked-up action can be fired very rapidly. In 45 LC, it would have a 10 round magazine which can be emptied in seconds.
Also, in 45LC, there is practically no recoil and accuracy can be maintained in rapid fire, so even a smaller person won't have a problem with it.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:16 am

I agree, it is an 1873 and it is a replica. (However, the originals were not chambered in .45 Colt. This is a chambering that replicas introduced.)

Proof in the pudding is had by closely examining the receiver: If you note this original receiver:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 3_open.JPG

(I'm not posting it because it will loose too much size), not where the screws for the trigger and hammer pivots are. Then compare this with a modern Uberti replica:

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/images/1 ... fle_lg.jpg

and you see that there is a single large screw head above and behind the trigger, just like the one the girl is holding. This may not be so evident in the attached picture, but looking at the original here:

http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/33899-1/d ... 2_5552.jpg

this is much more obvious.

The toggle link action was weak and its geometry limited the length of cartridge that could be used. It was already pretty old by 1873 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_rifle) and it was quite weak, compared to the later designs of John M Browning with the M1892, chambered for the same class of cartridges as the 1873 and much smaller.

In order to take larger cartridges, Winchester came out with the 1876 "Centennial" model (the USA was 100 years old that year), but even enlarging the action still didn't permit this rifle to use the .45-70 round, which was too long. Instead, Winchester came out with proprietary cartridges that were less than 2 1/4" long and those who wanted a .45-70 lever action had to wait for the Marlin 1881.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:47 am

Timmy,

Don't want to sound exaggerating, but that's a nice succinct lesson about the rifle.I just learnt quite a few things about it.Thank you.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:53 am

In case no one else noticed, the Wikipedia picture, the positive proof to originality, is a reversed negative. a picture of the left side of the rifle. Always take Wikipedia with a grain of salt. It can lead you astray. Cheers.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:27 am

Wow, Two Rivers, you're right: I certainly never noticed that this picture on wikipedia was reversed: (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 3_open.JPG) and that it was actually the left side of this Winchester 1873.

You have great eyes for detail and great sleuthing powers!

But please, for the rest of us, tell us the expert secret that you used to determine that this picture is of the left side of a Winchester 1873. I am anxiously waiting to hear what detail I have missed! Please don't hold out on us, OK?

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:38 am

I agree, it is an 1873 and it is a replica. (However, the originals were not chambered in .45 Colt. This is a chambering that replicas introduced.)
I never said that the original was in 45 LC. Re-reading my post I can see how this could be misconstrued. I just meant that this particular Uberti was in .45 LC. Good history lesson there, Timmy.
Last edited by xl_target on Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:57 am

xl: no, I wasn't thinking that you had said it -- I'm sorry for giving that impression. I just wanted it to be clear that this was a modern offering. I found a nice little article by Mike Venturino, who has written some good stuff for Handloader and Rifle on the 1873. He has an interesting take on the chamberings in .44-40, .38-40, and .32-20 regarding them all being bottleneck cases that you might enjoy -- I certainly did:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... ntent;col1