Firing Line

Here you can post images from your favorite events, places, yourself or your family to share with other site members.
Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Firing Line

Post by Sujay » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:48 pm

Hunter";p="22610 wrote:Hi Dishkaon,
Like Mack The Knife mentioned the .45acp is an NP bore in Bombay!It got this status only a couple of years ago,thanks largely to a group of dedicated shooters who pushed for its release into the NP bore category
Hello Hunter !

Can you arrange to post a scanned copy of the said notification ?

I am not doubting you as quite a few people have claimed this earlier also. I am interested in the language of the notification ( By what logic should it remain prohibited in other states ??? ) and the exact issuing authority.
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:59 pm

Guy's

There is always the RTI.

A very tenable case before a court,should one be turned down from owning a .45 else where.

Sanjay

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:13 pm

The Ministry of Home GOI of India has issued a clarification that .45ACP is a PB.The DCP Mumbai had written to the DGQA of the IOFB seeking clarification aboyt whether .45ACP was in use with the Indian Army.The DGQA wrote back saying that it was not.The DCP licensing then started issuing licenses for .45ACP saying that it was NPB.Hence the clarification from the MH which I am sure has been buried somewhere.BTW not everyone can get a license for a .45ACP pistol,even in Mumbai :wink:

penpusher

Hunter
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Hunter » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:11 am

:shock:
...a big can of worms seems to have opened here!!! :roll:

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:21 am

penpusher,

Thanks for the details,that was one smart DCP who took the law in his own hands :wink: whose actions made it worth while for members of the shooting fraternity.

Cheers

Sanjay

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:00 pm

Cool.. i dont log in for a day and miss out so much of dialogue..

I had seen (from far away) when I was in mumbai a 0.45 pistol owned by an "MLA's son" who happened to be a friend of my friend. my friend has a 0.25 webley scot pistol and told me that 0.45 was for "badaa log" only.. hehehe... then i realised where I stand.. with the only "weapon" that I had was my nanchakoo.... the 0.45 ammo was 200 bucks, the 0.25 was bought at 80 bucks... my ammo was free..

anyways.. really good info guys.. wonder what I would have done without IFG.....

diskaon.
klick klack..... diskaon

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:40 pm

Sanjay,

Was the 0.45ACP ever in use with the Indian Army ?

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:48 pm

Sujay";p="22853 wrote: Sanjay,

Was the 0.45ACP ever in use with the Indian Army ?
The Thompson sub machine gun was used by the Indian Army and is still being used by some police forces.

penpusher

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:57 pm

Sujay,

The 45 was never a standard issue in the army.

AFAIK through the 60' to the early 80's the standard issue was the 38 Revolver,then there was a gradual shift to the 9mm pistols both the ones produced by the IOFB and Beretta's 92 series.

Many of the .45 floating around are those that were largely from the captured fire arms list which were got back while returning from the many wars & ops that have taken place post independence.

Sanjay

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:10 pm

Thanks Sanjay.

This means that the logic of prohibited bore classification ( pilfering ) is flawed for the 0.45ACP. Isn't it ?

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:09 am

Not necessarily, Sujay.

As penpusher mentioned, they may still be in use by the Police or certain para-military forces.

If I am not mistaken, Jonah had mentioned something about the police in Mizoram or probably a few more north-eastern states using the Thompson sub-machinegun.

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:11 am

The Webley Greener in .455 and the Webley Scott in .455 are still standard issue for a few rural Police stations in Karnataka. Personal experience.
Thompsons I've seen in UP are in 9mm.
Very strange melting pot, our Indian Armed forces nomenclature and inventory.A nightmare for the armourers?
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:20 am

Very possible the Thommo is still in service today with some of the police forces I think the UP police still uses them in limited nos,not sure about the Cal though it did come in diff flavours.

What I was referring too was the 45 handgun,that was not part of standard issue in the forces.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:12 am

The Thompson sub machine gun was made in only one caliber i.e. .45ACP. The Thompson sub machine gun was used by the Indian Army thanks to the American help to the British and then participation in the Second World War. .45 ACP pistol was never a service firearm in the Indian Army.

penpusher

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:24 am

penpusher

The early Models came in diff Cals,perhaps those are the ones floating around even today.

Model 1919 & 21.Caliber: .45ACP (11.4x23mm), .22LR, .32ACP, .38ACP, 9mmP, .351 Winchester Self-Loadin

BSA Thompson -Caliber: 9mmP

Sanjay