Mahindra Thar

Here you can post images from your favorite events, places, yourself or your family to share with other site members.
ssc
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Mahindra Thar

Post by ssc » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:35 am

Hi Guy, a few pics of my Thar i bought couple of months back. All the lighting & bumper work is done by me, Its not as good as professional work but good enough. Enjoy & do comment if i could do better. Thanks for the advices in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Mahindra Thar

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:41 am

What is your overall opinion of the Thar?

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:19 am

Great looking vehicle. :) Is this version 1 (without co. fitted A/C) or version 2 (with co. fitted A/C) of the Thar? BTW, those look like highway tyres you have on there, not good for off-road use (except for sand). While off-roading you can get away without 4WD a lot of the time, but incorrect tyres will let you down every time.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:24 am

It looks very nice, ssc.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:43 am

Nice ride ssc Congratulations! :D

How did you mount those lights? Do they provide a steady beam (are they vibration free) on the run?

:cheers:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:05 am

Mack, if you are considering buying the Thar do keep in mind that Mahindra doesn't seem to have worked out all the kinks/ quality issues just yet. Ken bought one recently and the story of his troubles may be perused on the DisasThar Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/DisasThar

His is/ was the version 2 (with A/C) CRDE powered Thar. A shame really, as this would have been just the ticket! :(

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:45 am

Abhijeet, since shifting to single piece fishing rods, the Thar may prove small for me, especially if the boys and dog are accompanying me.

I don't do off-roading as a sport but do have to travel on dirt tracks. However, the majority of the journey is on a highway and I was particularly interested in the Thar's high speed stability and braking.

Thanks for the link. Will check it later.

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:02 am

Oh the Thar .. Love it n hate it. I wish people at Mahindra wake up..
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:18 am

For your type of use, you could do a lot worse than a 4x2 Renault Duster. The price point is a little higher than the Thar (circa 8.4 lacs ex-showroom for the diesel, the petrol is about 90k cheaper). The only possible deal breaker could be how quickly they are able to ramp up their after sales/ spare parts network.

The Mahindra Bolero could be another option, with ex-showroom prices starting at around 6+ lacs. You get a lot of car for the money, so long as you are willing to compromise a bit on the (spartan) interiors (the Thar interiors are pretty similar).

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:15 pm

Meh bad gearbox and incompetent suspension.Fix up an old jeep original instead.Will cost 4 or so.6 lakhs speced out.
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:39 pm

Checked out the link and it was rather disturbing reading. All Mahindras come with niggles but Ken really hit the jackpot with his.

I am looking for a second-hand 4WD in the sub-2 lakh range. Unfortunately, the person who now owns my Gypsy wont part with it.

Had some wonderful times with the old girl.

Recognise the road and building?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:59 pm

Mack,have you considered an old Pajero? If you look around you may be lucky to find a well maintained one for slightly more than your budget.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:16 pm

Winnie,

You are right about old Pajeros and what they cost but the problem is service and spares in Bangalore. One friend sold off a 18 month old Pajero for half it's original cost and another friend now has to send his Pajero to Hyderabad.

The old Mitsubishi dealer for Bangalore no longer services them and the guys who currently have the service agency have been found wanting by both friends mentioned above and me, as I have an old Lancer.

Anyway, I am feeling bad about inadvertently hijacking SSC's thread, so let's just stick to Thars please.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:23 pm

Looks like at Lords Cricket ground,innit?

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

ssc
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ssc » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:43 am

Welll guys This is CRDE A/C Version with power steering. The tyres are all terrain. I did go offroading twice now with out any hitch. yes mahindra needs to upgrade the quality plastic & finish. The power is immense. did witness a horrific accident on mumbai pune high way , I was at 100km/ hour....as the two cars collided into each other one went spinning into the divider & a chunk about a feet long & 7to 8 inches wide flew at me the response of thar was great & stable as i narrowly missed the chunk as i trying to avoid it. my purpose is specific & to the point so i aint gonna spend much money & time on thar. The steering wheel does feel offcenter as pointed out to me earlier by a member but doesnt matter much. Other wise this jeep is made for indian roads & traffic it as simple as that. Remember its a truck so drive like one. :twisted: :twisted: