UP 3985 "Challenger" (Pic. Heavy)

Here you can post images from your favorite events, places, yourself or your family to share with other site members.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

UP 3985 "Challenger" (Pic. Heavy)

Post by xl_target » Thu May 31, 2012 8:14 am

As WW2 loomed and American Industry started ramping up production, the pressing need for more powerful and faster locomotives created a bonanza for US locomotive builders. Truly monstrous locomotives like the Union Pacific's "Big Boy" and Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range "Yellowstone" locomotives were built. With a top speed of 70 mph and the capability of developing 6000 drawbar horsepower, there had never been anything like the "Big Boy" before.

During this time frame the UP (Union Pacific Railroad) also built one hundred and five "Challenger" locomotives. They were able to draw on their "Big Boy" experience to develop the fast and efficient Challengers. No. 3985 is an oil burning, four cylinder, articulated, simple (vs. compound) Mallet type of steam locomotive. It has a top speed of 70 mph.
Built between 1936 and 1943, the Challengers were nearly 122 feet long and weighed more than one million pounds. Articulated like their big brother, the Union Pacific Big Boy, the Challengers had a 4-6-6-4 wheel arrangement. They operated over most of the Union Pacific system, primarily in freight service, but a few were assigned to passenger trains operating through mountain territory to California and Oregon. The 105 locomotives were built specifically by ALCO for Union Pacific having drawn on much of the Big Boy's experience.
quote from here

In 2008, the last surviving operating Challenger toured the Union Pacific rail system providing a spectacle for the public. Railfans streamed in from all over the US and abroad, eagerly following the 3985 as she stormed through the country. We were lucky that our part of the UP was chosen to be on the route. 3985 blew through my town about 200 yards from my house. We joined the caravan of cars following her and this being our backyard, we knew the choice spots to stop at.
UP 3985 operated in its last "regular" train service in 1957.[1] The locomotive was retired about 1962 and after many years of storage in a roundhouse at Cheyenne, Wyoming, UP 3985 was placed on an outdoor display beside the Cheyenne depot in 1975. Beginning in 1979 a group of Union Pacific employee-volunteers started work on restoring the locomotive, and it was returned to operational condition in 1981.[1] Originally a coal-burner, to prevent lineside grass fires it was successfully converted to oil firing in 1990. Stationed at Cheyenne with other equipment in the UP's heritage collection, it is currently used for excursion trains and occasionally mainline freight on ferry moves. It was in the maintenance shop at Cheyenne in 2007 and underwent necessary repairs for service in 2008. It is now back up and running. It is one of only two of the original 105 Union Pacific "Challenger" types in existence, the other being UP 3977 on static display in North Platte, Nebraska.
quote from here

It was a beautiful sunny day as we set out. Once again, my understanding boss, who has put up with all my hobbies over the years had given me the afternoon off. My buddy, Chuck, who had also wangled some time off was the pilot and I ran the cameras (movie and still) as we chased the train through the countryside.

The loco and train coasts past the Rock Street grade crossing in Mankato, MN. The plant I work at (hidden by the train) is just behind the crossing.

Children of all ages gather around the massive locomotive at the Depot in Mankato

in a scene reminiscent of days gone by, once again a steam locomotive powered passenger train stops at the Mankato Depot (station).

Just outside Mankato, the train enters a cut.

3985 thunders through a cut alongside Minneopa State Park. You can clearly see the close-set dual stacks. The lack of smoke shows the efficiency of the locomotive as there is almost complete combustion of all the fuel. The plume of steam closer to the cab is the exhaust coming off the steam powered electrical generators.

Catching her steaming past Grogan, MN, we have been able to beat the hordes of railfans as there isn't another soul in the photo.

With the massive weight of her drivers shaking the ground, 3985 glides through Grogan. The short train being pulled is not much of a challenge and we can hear no chuffing, just a soft mechanical clank-clank as the train goes by.

Entering St James, MN, 3985 pauses just outside the St James Depot for clearance. Most of the 4-6-6-4 wheel arrangement can be seen here along with the two cylinders on each side.

Now stopped at the St James Depot, the Challenger's broad shouldered stance is displayed for all to see.

"Huge" is an understatement. It seems strange to use the words graceful and beautiful when talking about a machine so powerful but there is definitely something alluring about the mechanical perfection of the Challenger. As I took this photo, someone tapped me on the shoulder from behind. It was the owner of the company I work for. He had been invited to ride the train on its journey from Mankato to St James.

This vintage trainset shows the UP's typical Armour Yellow and Harbor Mist Gray color scheme.

The huge scale of the driving wheels and side-rods can be seen here as this rail worker uses a pneumatic greaser to lube parts of the locomotive.

3985 Fact sheet (.pdf)

Once again, being restricted to the Forum's 640X480 image size, one ca't get the full effect of the photos. Larger images can be seen here.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: UP 3985 "Challenger" (Pic. Heavy)

Post by Safarigent » Thu May 31, 2012 1:36 pm

India also has its fair share of train nuts.
I knew a few 'uncles' when i was young who used to peruse rail tables when deciding where to go on a road trip. They would take breaks in areas where they would hope to see a train of their choice pass by and take photos.
There are still quite a few clubs today as well.
Check out this picture gallery,

http://www.irfca.org/gallery/main.php
To Excellence through Diligence.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu May 31, 2012 9:30 pm

Thanks for that link, Arjun.
I will have to spend some time on that site.

I spent a lot of time on trains when I was in India. My mother says that I used to want to be an "engine driver" when I was young. There was still a lot of steam around. Only the crack passenger trains like the Rajdhani and the GT Express had diesels at first.

Today, as our wives would say, we are just a bunch of "grown men playing with Choo-Choo's".
I spend a lot of time at this place:

[youtube][/youtube]

http://roundhouseinc.org
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu May 31, 2012 10:12 pm

XL: Thanks so much for these wonderful pictures! I agree with you, the Challenger is a true piece of mechanical artistry, probably the most successful and famous of our articulated steam locomotives. That Challenger would run between Denver and Cheyenne during Frontier Days in Cheyenne, when the famous rodeo is held. Taking that trip on the Challenger is not inexpensive!

I had a dear old friend that I met with quite often when we lived in Colorado; he was a real steam buff and had been since his childhood. He recounted that, in his youth, he used to like to get underneath a small open creek crossing and lay under the huge locomotives as they crossed. He told me many stories along these line from his youth, which were quite interesting.

The Challenger was probably the most successful of the big articulateds, and the Big Boy was, of course, the largest (and, having stood next to one, I can tell you that they are truly large!). But my favorite isn't an articulated, it is the largest non-articulated, the 9000 series Union Pacific 4-12-2. Out West, the 9000s were effectively put out of business by the Challengers, because Challengers, being articulated, could negotiate sections of track with tighter curves, could handle passenger traffic (the 9000s were limited to about 60 mph, being designed as a freight-only locomotive).

There are many pics of the 9000s, but this site, which includes some of the authors CGI recreations, also has some great photos of the only remaining 9000: http://www.cowboystrainzstation.com/uni ... c_9000.htm

This site even has a recording of the 3 cylinder 9000 being operated: http://www.trainweb.org/rlhs/collection ... _9000.html

What I find really intriguing is the 9000s configuration of 3 cylinders and use of Sir Nigel Gresley's conjugated valve gear. This allowed the use of a single Walschaerts gear on each side, with the center cylinder's valve being controlled by the Gresley conjugated mechanism. (The Gresley conjugated 3 cylinder design is most famously used by the LNER A4 series, of which the "Mallard" holds the record as the fastest steam locomotive of all time.)

Anyway, I digress again, as usual!

Your pics are beautiful and it must have been a real treat to see 3985 moving across the countryside! Thanks so much for sharing these -- I really enjoyed them! Your interesting contributions here, XL, are a big reason why IFG is such a quality forum! Thank you!

(PS: I have several railroad videos about Indian railroads. Those who find such things may be interested in looking them up:

- Bombay Railway (BBC) 2 part series about the railways around Mumbai
- Great Indian Railway (National Geographic) 3 part series with lots of steam and the passing of steam locomotives
- Indian Hill Railways (BBC) 3 part series featuring the Darjeeling Himalaya Railway, the Nilgiri Mountain Railway, and the Kalka Simla Railway -- beautiful and excellent filming!
- Monsoon Railway (BBC) 2 part series about the railways in Bengal
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Thu May 31, 2012 11:08 pm

That toy train XL reminds me of a toy train I saw in the Gwalior Palace when I was a little kid.
I wonder if it is still on display there.
Members from Gwalior would surely know about it.
The silver toy train would run around this huge dining table and carried booze n cigarettes for the guests.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:40 am

prashantsingh wrote:That toy train XL reminds me of a toy train I saw in the Gwalior Palace when I was a little kid.
I wonder if it is still on display there.
Members from Gwalior would surely know about it.
The silver toy train would run around this huge dining table and carried booze n cigarettes for the guests.
I've heard of it too.
I found an image of the table and the track here:

Here is the train:
the caption says:
A miniature train in silver and glass, supplied by Armstrong Whitworth and Co. to the Maharaja of Gwalior in 1906.
image from here

rraju2805
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by rraju2805 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:51 am

Awesome pics & write up. .
Very interesting.
:cpix:

Dear , Xl-target

can you tell me in which gauge pasific railway runs ??
YOU CAN FOOL SOME OF THE PEOPLE SOMETIME
BUT YOU CAN"T FOOL ALL OF THE PEOPLE ALL TIME

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:35 am

rraju2805 wrote:Awesome pics & write up. .
Very interesting.
:cpix:

Dear , Xl-target

can you tell me in which gauge pasific railway runs ??
rraju2805,
Thanks for the comment.

What is called the standard gauge in the US is 4ft 8.5in. There are some narrow gauge railroads, mostly relegated to being tourist railroads now. These are 3 ft gauge.
The Union Pacific Railroad like every other railroad in the US (and Canada) uses the standard gauge.

Tim,
Thanks for that link. The audio files were great. One can hear the exhaust from that third cylinder!

drifter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by drifter » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:50 pm

Nice post. Reminds me of younger days, my brother is into trains and we used to build tracks with our model hornby sets and time used to fly. I will try and get some picture soon.

Regards,
drifter.