RSA - Elder Son's Second Animal

Here you can post images from your favorite events, places, yourself or your family to share with other site members.
kragiesardar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

RSA - Elder Son's Second Animal

Post by kragiesardar » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:11 am

The second animal for my elder son was one he had to work hard for. It was a good day, overcast sky, steady wind, and as always while hunting, all the animals that were there yesterday were no longer to be found. That’s why it is called hunting son and not shopping. Clayton goes over where to shoot again with the boys:

Off we go, was going to be a long, long walk:

As a safety measure Clayton did not hand his rifle to the boys unless he thought they had a clear shot. Clayton told us that that very year a very experienced PH had a tragic hunt. A native South African Dad and son were hunting with this PH, the kid took shot at a water buck and wounded him. While looking for the water buck the PH was climbing down the hill with the gun slung over his shoulder, he lost his balanced and slipped backwards falling on his back, the gun went off shooting the ten year old in his stomach, the kid died from the gunshot wound.

Up one ridge, then another, constantly glassing, he trudged along gamely behind Clayton the PH.
And more walking:

Hold on I see something, is it too far away for you?

Too far, okay let’s see if we can find something else. Down, down I see something, let me check, wait here:

Do you see it, hold on let me put the gun on my shoulder:

You can’t see it? Okay let’s get closer, scoot up on your butt, don’t stand up! See the two over there, you see it, okay I want you to shoot the one on the left. Put your gun on the rock there, Clayton then puts his hat on the rock so the forearm of the rifle is on it. Okay, can you see him, take your time, remember what I said, bring the gun up along the back of his front leg till you are three quarters of the way up, take your time, do you think you can do it, wait, wait, let him turn (Clayton whistles) the animal stops sideways and looks back, one shot and it is down!

Good shot, good shot, let me check:

“Come with me quickly” as they hurriedly try to get into position if the animal is only wounded, they walk up to him, Clayton pokes the Blesbuck in its eye with his shooting sticks to make sure it is dead, it doesn’t move, congratulations and high fives all the way around!

150 yards, was a good shot, I was not sure but he told me, I can do it, I can do it:

Very good shot, see you hit him exactly where I told you, nice Blesbuck, congratulations:

Congratulations and photographs and handshakes:

Hey, its getting hot, and in the distance we see a river, they are actually two that flow through the property. One flows all year and the other is seasonal allowing the animals that are very dependent on water to survive, let’s go check it out.

More Fauna and flora, the bushes that look weird are aloe and these ones are around 50 years old. The animals eat them and it makes their blood bitter and ticks don’t like it:

Nayla bulls in the distance

Like all boys, water is always something you want to skip rocks across or jump in and thoroughly enjoy yourselves.

As we came out we saw a Nyala and a Nyala doe, beautiful majestic, mysterious animals that are native to this region. Want to go back and hunt them, Kudu and Eland next time.

Last edited by kragiesardar on Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
357 S&W
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: RSA - Elder Son's Socond Animal

Post by 357 S&W » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:19 am

I am glad the kids are learning the basics well and will become good ethical hunters. Mine have to wait a while as they are too young.
Good Hunting.
:cheers:

Stress is the stimulant for Creativity

kragiesardar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: RSA - Elder Son's Second Animal

Post by kragiesardar » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:27 am

357mag,
They started young, both of them posed for pictures with turkeys we had shot when they were 2 and salmon we had caught. Remember showing them the teeth on rock cod we had caught when they were three and their 4 wheeling with me as we chased a herd of wild pigs.
Regards,
KS

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:26 am

Amazin pics, in pics its so interesting, pls keep them coming.

kragiesardar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kragiesardar » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:50 am

sa_ali wrote:Amazin pics, in pics its so interesting, pls keep them coming.
No more on the Kids on hunting, one on flyfishing in RSA and then three for me on Hunting, Impala, Zebra and Wildebeest. Also two non hunting - one of a visit to a Zulu village and the other to a game reserve.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:02 am

good one great write up and thanks for sharing ...

Cheers

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:51 am

:clap: :cheers:
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

vrohan59
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vrohan59 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:32 am

Very nice to see that your sons are learning the right and ethical way to hunt.My dad and grandfather taught me too.just shooting an animal isn't the most important thing in a hunt,but to enjoy oneself and learn from nature and respect it is by far more important.nice pics,thanks for sharing.
Regards
Rohan
War does not define who is right -- only who is left
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."