RSA - Younger Son - Round II - Warthog

Here you can post images from your favorite events, places, yourself or your family to share with other site members.
kragiesardar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

RSA - Younger Son - Round II - Warthog

Post by kragiesardar » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:12 am

In my earlier post I mentioned that my younger son had the game come to him and I would provide more on that later, well here it is. First something on the animal, the Warthog is called that as the male has two prominent warts on its face. They are so ugly they are cute, they run with their tails straight up in the air and turn back often to watch you.
Young Ones:

Even though they are not the most handsome animals they have a heart as big as a tiger and are a very noble beast and I saw it firsthand. While we were stalking zebras we came upon an anthill at 3 -4 paces, it was windy and had rained so we did not make much noise while we walked through the grass and the wind was to our face. In this anthill was a hole and we could see the snout and tusks of a wart hog, he was playing dead. Slowly Clayton extended the shooting sticks (we were standing to one side and behind the entrance), the warthog jumped out, changing his direction towards us in midair and came full lick towards us, in that millisecond the tracker, Clayton and me squealed like little girls and tried to jump out of the way, I was frantically pulling my rifle off my shoulders and trying to chamber a round while extending the gun like a spear ( had learnt the hard way while hunting hogs with hounds in California that a scoped rifle is useless at that range so your best bet is to point and shoot). My rule while hunting and driving within a property is never chamber a round till you are ready to shoot and never drive in a car with one up the spout. Immediately behind the boar came a sow and a little piglet and they ran straight away from us. I realized then that the boar had done a real or mock charge at us to let the female and kids escape. For good reason some of my human friends may not do the same for their nagging spouses.

They are intricately linked with ants and aardwolf. There are numerous small anthills that are as strong as concrete, cattlemen would try to use pesticides on these since nothing grows on them, the aardwolf is an animal that looks like a hyena but is much smaller and was nearly wiped out by ranchers, it only eats termites and ants. They dig into the anthill and move on after their meal, the wart hogs then enlarge these burrows and use them as dens with their snouts and tusks protecting the entrance. In this next picture just behind the yellow flowers you can see an anthill and before it an aardwolf.

So you may ask, where is the info on this hunt. Here we were sitting down with a glorious view and enjoying the great deli cold cuts and bread that this region offers due to its heavy density of German settlers and German ex pats that live there.:

I was sitting on the empty chair facing the windows and through the window above my younger son’s head saw a warthog walking down the hill, I pointed it out to Clayton, he used his binoculars and excitedly told my younger son to come with him. I realized that it must be big as Clayton had turned down several we had seen till then. Clayton had my younger son quickly take up position on some rocks outside of the cottage. You can see the warthog in the distance over Claytons left shoulder:

Clayton took his time insuring that it was an older mature animal

My son took one shot with the Sako 22 – 250 and hit it a little behind, the boar stopped, mortally wounded and settled into the grass, we could see he was not moving, everyone quickly scrambled to a better angle:

My son took another shot that missed, down wards angle, grass and crosswinds, then Clayton moved him to another angle and as the animal got to its feet another shot was taken and this time it went down. It was a big animal so the tractor was called:

Congratulations all around:

It was a grand old warrior that had lost one of its lower tusks in an unknown battle, the one on the far side:

My son was elated as he wants to hunt the ugly five, we did look for hyena for him but drew a blank, maybe next time.

For Advertising mail webmaster
MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Re: RSA - Younger Son - Round II - Warthog

Post by MoA » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:59 am

I have enjoyed your series. And personally didnt think the .22-250 was anything beyond a target or varmint round. I use mine for target shooting.

Am quite surprised that your kids have managed to down a warthhog with it, and quite pleasntly.

I do need to re-evaluate mine. :cheers:

Good hunting.. :cheers: :cheers:

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:39 am

My God. What beautiful tusks!!!!
I desperately wanted to shoot one of these. But the Wildlife Dept. does not allow them into India . The teeth come under tusks and trade in Tusks is banned in India. In fact the Officials told me that I could actually import the shoulder mount , but the moment it landed : they would pull out the tusks and keep them. A warthog minus his tusks is like a flower minus its petals. I dropped the idea.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:14 am

Wow great shooting, nice pictures and well written..thats great..
Waiting for more stories - where do you hunt in CA. I was recently in UC Davis / Sacramento/ Yuba city area from Folsom is pretty much Sierra Nevada mountains.

back to your Africa tales
best

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:39 am

And by the way Singh,
As a dentist, I can tell you how to repair that broken lower right (of the warthog) tusk ,with dental plastics (acrylic) once your shoulder mounts come home. ha ha ha
Though ,your son may prefer it the way it is.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:09 am

Kudos to you and your sons. i have enjoyed this series.
I am also pleasantly surprised by the ease with which you younger son is putting game down with the .22-250. Could you elaborate a little on the cartridge. What type of bullet is being used? Is this standard commercial ammo?
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:28 pm

warthog ; and such a beast as the one above!!

Wow.

im impressed with him.

i need to start calling him guruji (sorry moa).
once again :cpix:

i nominate kraigsardar for prominent ifgian.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:47 pm

ah what ugly one you found, looks like its been good hunting for you guys :lol:

please leave some for us .
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

kragiesardar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kragiesardar » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:27 am

ngrewal wrote:Wow great shooting, nice pictures and well written..thats great..
Waiting for more stories - where do you hunt in CA. I was recently in UC Davis / Sacramento/ Yuba city area from Folsom is pretty much Sierra Nevada mountains.

back to your Africa tales
best
Hi ngrewal,
I live in the Bay Area ( San Francisco region)and we mostly hunt Nor Cal, belong to a private hunting club that has over 200,000 acres. Mostly cattle ranches, some bordering National forests or Bureau of Land Management. They also have some good fishing spots. Good population of Turkey, Quail, Ducks, Pigs, Deer and some Bear.
Regards,
KS

-- Mon 12 06, 2010 3:06 pm --
xl_target wrote:Kudos to you and your sons. i have enjoyed this series.
I am also pleasantly surprised by the ease with which you younger son is putting game down with the .22-250. Could you elaborate a little on the cartridge. What type of bullet is being used? Is this standard commercial ammo?
I was surprised and somewhat skeptical when Clayton proposed the kids use his 22 - 250. From the recoil perspective it made sense, the old Sako had a Bull Barrel so it would soak up the recoil. He was the PH with years more experience than I have so I deffered to him.

The ammo was standard commercial PMC in a box with a Kudu on it, was called PMC Safari if I remember right. it was a softpoint, leadcore. Seemed to have a very wide wound channel when it entered and fragmented. If it got into the boiler room, that was it.

Very interesting as I had read back in the States about how tough African game was and how I needed a 300 win mag or a 375 H&H to take a Zebra with 185 or 200 grain. None of this proved right on our hunt but then we hunted only 8 animals so by no means is it conclusive.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:26 am

Is that a manual trap i see in the background?
did u get to shoot some clays?
This is bad practice. Clays are so addictive that a person might forget to concentrate on his hunt.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:43 am

good show.My congrats to the Junior 1&2.
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

kragiesardar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kragiesardar » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:02 am

shooter wrote:Is that a manual trap i see in the background?
did u get to shoot some clays?
This is bad practice. Clays are so addictive that a person might forget to concentrate on his hunt.
Yes Shooter, it is a manual trap. Avoided it like the plague for the sames reason that you articulated in your post!