Members Please Read - Important

READ FIRST before posting anywhere!
mehulkamdar

Members Please Read - Important

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:59 am

Friends,

We have received some fairly serious representation by our women members telling us that they do not feel comfortable posting because of some of the humour here. To be honest, I am one of the biggest fans of the jokes etc on the humour section and I have posted risque jokes there myself, but I can understand that the ladies may not find it to their liking and may be embarassed by it. Considering that we have almost 10% of our members who are women shooters, I would urge some diplomacy on the Humour forum and request you to avoid posting material that might not find approval from the ladies here.

We are not an exclusive male forum and we hope to have more ladies join here, and, indeed, that those who have taken pains to register and who lurk here post often. IFG does not believe in censoring posts unless something is offensive in the extreme or it is an attack on a member. We certainly do not want to censor jokes here but would request you to please show a little restraint in this regard. The forums allow you to form private friend groups and you are most welcome to share whatever jokes you want through these groups as PMs.

I would also request the opinions of all members on this request to be posted here so that it is clear to the ladies who have registered and who visit our forums that we are serious. The moderation team would also like to know your opinions/suggestions on this very delicate subject. We look forward to hearing from you in this regard at the earliest,

Best wishes and good shooting!

Mehul

On Behalf of the Moderation Team.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Members Please Read - Important

Post by Sujay » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:40 am

Mehul,

The kind of jokes generally allowed in this forum have never been such that would reflect any chauvinist bent of members or in your words nothing extremely offensive or personal attack is ever allowed.

The traffic in that section has been abnormally high though; during the past few days. :!:

We are not making fun of women generally. If ladies feel embarrased by some light humour, the Sikhs have the right to shut down all the forums and print media because of the Sardarji jokes. But to my knowledge, they always take it sportingly. Also, all the humour floating around targeting males dosen't stop us posting on such forums.

The decorum maintained in this forum is sufficient to keep all members occupied with the hobby of shooting without getting distracted by the nature of the humour section.

Regards,

Sujay
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:47 pm

Sujay,

To be honest I enjoy all jokes here, including those posted recently. At the same time, I am aware that some jokes were deleted by one of my fellow moderators because he felt they were inappropriate. We did not send any notice of this to the posters concerned, both of whom are very popular members here, because we know that they did not mean anything untoward. And this is not a post that I have started as a response to anyone in particular. None of the jokes were of a chauvinist bent. I understand that those that were deleted were somewhat more risque than what is there. Maybe it was those two particular ones that the ladies found difficult to accept? I don't know...

Some of the ladies who have brought this to our attention have been members for some time. And this does seem to be the feeling that they have got over a period of time, not recently. I am hoping that we find some way of making everyone happy. Again, we do not believe in censorship and as we both agree, any personal attacks etc are quickly nipped in the bud. We do have a zero tolerance policy on that.

I hope that the ladies here would also post on this thread and be a little more clear on what they would like to see, and, more importantly, what they would not like to. We hope that through open discussion we would have a forum that everyone is happy to participate on and that does not exclude anyone bar trolls and troublemakers.

Thanks for your response, Sujay, and I hope other members would also step in and give their views. I must hit the sack now - it is almost 1:30 in the morning here and I have a very long day ahead.

Cheers!

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:25 pm

Let me clarify one thing.

When I say I find things acceptable, I refer to the post-moderation stuff.
I am against explicit and insulting matters altogether.

A little consideration on our part would make the life of moderators easier in terms of more time for participation rather than getting tied up only with vigilance.
Last edited by Sujay on Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:14 pm

I agree with Mehul. We do not wish to offend the fair sex in any way. They are our 'better halves' :lol:
I think self-moderation is the best moderation in this respect.

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:01 pm

i believe This site is not ment for Jokes & Fun,,several other sites are available on web for fun .So sum sort of Humor just as a refreshment is fine.there should be a single thread for jokes ,in which every one can post there jokes ,Bcoz starting a new thread for a single joke is senseless.
Last edited by badshah0522 on Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:03 pm

Badshah,

There is no need to be overly pious.

Mack The Knife

jumq
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by jumq » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:54 pm

Hey All..

If I may speak on behalf of the 10% female members on IFG ..

The humour , in all respect , have been unoffensive, although at times sure one from my gender might wonder if we have offically joined a YMCA , with rampant anti- feminist jokes :wink: ... but then its all in good humour, and guess its sportingly taken .. sure a day shall come when IFG will be strongly populated by LADIES and then we have our call to put across humour targetting opposite sex ....until then, u guys can have your field days ..and Hey.. Relax..its all cool.. :D .

If i aint mistaken , someone recently mentioned of sticking to posts purely on technical basis involving guns and rifles or related materials , wont it become boring and mundane if no humour or light hearted conversations were invloved along with ofcourse relevant topics....!

Jumy.

BTW.. A Very Very Happy New Year to All ( YMCA's ) .. :D :lol:

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:11 pm

Hi Jumy,

Hearty welcome, and thanks for the sporting attitude displayed.
Look forward to greater participation from you and your friends.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

jumq
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by jumq » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:20 pm

Hey Vikram,

Thanks for the welcome..and not sure of what freinds u mentioned, since the ' 10 % ' phrase was only from reading Mehul's post ..technically not aware of any other lady member around .. but would certianly love to hear from them to have a fair humour war around.. :lol:

Thanks a ton again.. :)

Jumy.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:23 pm

Jumy,

Thank you for weighing in on behalf of the women members here. Yes, some of the posts might look somewhat dauntingly technical to someone who is not very familiar with guns and shooting but with a little practice and hands on shooting, virtually everyone would understand that this is really qute simple. I am no Einstein and if I could understand this stuff, I am sure that more technically minded people would lap it up in the click of a finger. :) It is just that on a forum that is dedicated to guns and shooting, you;re going to have discussions that are technical in nature as fra as guns are concerned. We have newcomers who often ask questions and there are experts here like Mark and Grumpy who have vast experience who would only be happy to reply to. In fact, if someone has a technical question, we would have to help them with responses - hence the stuff that is here. Nothing for anyone to be daunted by.

Do let us know what kind of shooting you;re involved in and what kind of posts you would like to see. Or, maybe you could initiate some posts of the type that you would like and we could join in?

As far as the jokes about men are concerned, they would be most welcome. Just bring them on. :D

Cheers!

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:26 pm

jumq";p="9487 wrote:the ' 10 % ' phrase was only from reading Mehul's post ..technically not aware of any other lady member around .. but would certianly love to hear from them to have a fair humour war around.. :lol:
Jumy,

Their names are in the member list. Hardly any of them posts, though they do log in from time to time.

As far as the Humour War is concerned, do bring it on! :lol:

jumq
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by jumq » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:43 pm

Hey Mehul.. :D

In all honesty , i have no real interest in Guns or artilerries whatsoever .. ( having said that, perhaps i become a rightful candidate to be shown out of the door..lol) . Although I do try to follow some of the ramblings posted by the gun owners and thats as far as my knoweledge goes. Never seen a gun except in Museums of Dubai ( where i originally hail from ). Have been a passive member sicne a while, but the post on " gun,girlfreind or Gharwali ' was just too difficult to resist an answer and so start my journey on IFG .So far , my keen interest has only been in horses and have been an arden equestrain since the age of 10 . Would love if someone would share similar interest , unless ofcourse if i join another forum for equines ..lol . This group was joined out of sheer curiosity, which undoubtedly beginning to enjoy the discussions carried out by some and not to mention my favorite link of all times , the humour section .. :wink:

Where as the Humour War is concerened, take me as a strong counterpart on your battlefield, with or without any other female support..lol

Jumy.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:49 pm

Jumy,

And I thought you were now firmly in the RKBA camp! Do not forget the primary purpose of this group is to help Indian citizens regain their right to keep and bear arms... to defend themselves and their freedoms... that's the the goal of IFG... It's more to do with civil liberties than anything else...

OT , but please do invite Ali and his friends to participate here as well. :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:59 pm

Jumy,

I understand your views on guns. The best way to understand guns is to get familiar with them.It takes a bit of an effort from you,but believe me,it's worth it.

If any one you know has a gun, or knows someone who owns one, try to get to shoot one.Best, go to a skeet or trap range and try to shoot a couple of clay birds.You will start appreciating guns and the sport better.Apart from their use as sporting tools and source of recreation, I don't know if you you have seen the fine guns section, they are creations of superlative artistic efforts. For some, it's an acquired taste.But,try once.You will lose your indifference, no offence meant, or antipathy.You will discover a whole new world.

Should you chose to try shooting.Let any of the moderators via PM, your location and contact details.We all will try very hard to get you some shooting. Do you see here that I am trying very hard to sell guns to you. :wink:? No,Lady,you are not a prime candidate to be shown the door but one to be invited with at most cordiality.

Remember, all of this begins with a basic discourse on safe shooting. :)

BTW, I love horses after dogs.You will find other enthusiasts here.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."