Have you ever had to use a gun ?

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
ssmickey.32
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Have you ever had to use a gun ?

Post by ssmickey.32 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:18 pm

Oggie… firstly, it should not happen again as I have taken lot of precautions that I religiously follow. My degree of alertness, in public places, is very high when I am moving alone or with my family. One of the precautions being that when I am moving in public places with my wife & children – i always walk behind them. I do not want to give any chance of attraction to bad guys for which I keep a very strict vigilance. However, if it happens again… I’ll not hesitate to repeat the same but, this time I’ll have my Revolver in hand ready to use, if required. 13 years back I did not have the license but this time…

You know incidents like this happen in an extremely short interval of time but for the years to follow, it’s psychological impact either consumes you mentally, psychologically and spiritually & or takes you higher making you more strong mentally, psychologically and spiritually. It depends on how you reacted in that short interval of time. In my case I have evolved more strong in every way.

My family feels safe and secure with me. I always carry my handgun for self/family defence and they know... why.

Every individual is different and his reaction to such incidents is different.

Best regards

ssmickey.32
When the power of love overcomes the love of power - the world will know peace.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Oggie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Oggie » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:56 am

Met a colleague today who is from South Africa and he had an interesting story to tell. Being a country prone to higher levels of violent crime he was in the practice of carrying a pistol for self defense. Being a successful business owner who is quite senior in age he was also a prime target too. One day while travelling with his office assistant their car was sideswiped on the motorway. My colleague knew instantly that they were being targetted for either robbery or worse still kidnapping. Without hesitation he whipped out his pistol and aimed at the other car, whose occupants emerged with machetes. My colleague fired 4 rounds. The first 2 were in the air and the next 2 hit the lead would be assailant in the thigh and stomach. The wounded guy surrendered and lay down his arms. The other 2 occupants of the car sped off. My colleague then transported the wounded man to the hospital after properly restraining him. He survived but then kept on threatening retribution. In the end my colleague and family moved to New Zealand. While this incident was not the only factor behind the decision to move it certainly was a contributing one. I admired his reaction wherein without hesitation he pulled out his firearm and took a shot when needed. This is an essential mindset to have when carrying a firearm. If needed you should be prepared to use it without hesitation. He did and survived to tell the story.

Bruno22
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bruno22 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:13 pm

It's a good idea to carry some extra large cable ties and a roll of duct tape in your car. The cable ties to handcuff and the duct tape to over bind and also keep the unfortunate guys mouth closed.
THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN PEACE, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN WAR.

Oggie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Oggie » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:21 pm

Bruno, me old mate - there was a gentleman called Ted Bundy who used to do that. He was not very popular !

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:16 pm

You would not want to Bruno's mate, mate...
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Oggie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Oggie » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:40 pm

Or bump into him in a dark alley eh ?? :lol: :lol:

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:12 pm

ROTFL
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Ricky
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Ricky » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:50 pm

Almost three four months back when near about 10 thieves tried to break into our property, My dad along with two of our neighbors tried to chase them, Funny thing is one of our neighbors, in a hurry, forgot to load the gun.

Anyway they came back empty handed as thieves had run away(and that was best part as my dad was carrying an empty gun thanx to pados waale uncle :lol: )
We don't fear to negotiate but we don't negotiate out of fear

bikky123
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by bikky123 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:12 pm

I did it twice once when i got involved in a brawl with a local rough neck after getting a beating he got together some of his sidekicks and reached my house with swords and started abusing and daring me to come out,I did obliged oh yes with a 3006 in hand,the rifle in my hand was enough to send him and his pack on the run.To this day even after almost 20 years he still says Sardar se panga mat lena who Pagal hai serves him right second was when there were a spate of armed robberies in our town,our house is very big and so I got Neapolitan Mastiff as a guard dog.One night there was fierce growling and struggle by Rugo my dog and loud shouting by my Grandfather as to who is out side thinking it was some intruder I simply grabbed my 12 Gauge and as my room was upstairs just over my Grandfather's room with one door opening in the lawn where Rugo was fighting in full fury in the veranda.All this was not visible from the roof and thinking it was an intruder I simply let go one of the barrel in the lawn with a view that hearing the report of the gun who so ever tries to run will get the second barrel.Surprisingly there was no one so I simply rushed down stairs reloading the Gun on the run and reached the lawn and lo there was no one there,I ran around the entire periphery of my house but could not find anyone not even the servants nor the neighbors came out on hearing the report of the gun.I rushed to the place where Rugo was fighting and my grandfather using the language which if mentioned will have Abhijeet see red and ban me from his site opened the door by cautioning me by saying oye Kitai mari b***d (place where the sun does not shine)which goli na mar dhain.On checking what the commotion all about,it turned out that the goddamn dog was fighting with a chair.And trust a transporter to keep his mouth shut the incidence was the talk of the town,all our employees in the transport,finance and Petrol pump had a hearty laugh at my expense.Anyway by this time non of the readers will be under no doubt that Sardar pagal hai :evil: ROTFL

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:47 pm

Well, the incidence with me wasn't very dramatic but interesting never the less. While coming back from Pune to Bombay(Then) a friend couple, me and my wife decided to take a different route to Mumbai in our good old Fiat car. This particular detour was surrounded by a lot of jungle and greenery those days. It got pretty dark on the way and we realized no vehicle had passed us in those twenty minutes on this road. Suddenly a huge truck started tail driving us with full beam and refused to budge or over take in spite of us allowing him to do so several times. Probably saw a girl (my wife) in his beam and decided to harass us. This game went on for good ten minutes. When I realized this was going on a different tangent all together, I removed my friend's double shotgun lying at my feet, raised it in full view of the truck driver, broke open the breech and inserted two shells and closed the breech. I deliberately glanced often at the truck while doing this. That did the trick I guess. I immediately heard the roar and his engine suddenly going in a lower gear and the menacing looking head lamp disappeared in a jiffy along with truck.
Guns do save situations from going out of hands sometimes.
Marksman

savage
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by savage » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:04 am

Zake wrote:That makes two of us !! WOW ! That is really something !

Zake
tHE THREE OF US SIR,WOULD LIKE HIM TO KNOW THAT HE IS ONE TRUE MAN----
----------------------------------------------
And the ANSWER to the post will be yes ,my iof .22 .
Once after attending college my friend came to me to borrow my gun,when asked why he told that he wanted to threathen some goons who tried to rag his sister.
I refused to lend him the gun but i promised to help him so i went of to see the guys and soon they were insulting me.... Thinking me to be a coward.now one of them drew his air pistol to threathen me so that i was forced to unhoslter my revolver and shot one round in the air. Taking me seriously they never hav bothered the poor girl who was scared to bones..... :deadhorse:

alfaromeo17
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by alfaromeo17 » Thu May 12, 2011 1:21 am

I have weilded a gun for self defence a couple of times once on a rabbies infected stray dog that got into my house and once on a snake that was basking in the kitchen. and a few more instances but never on a human being till date fingers crossed. Have been in tough situations like land disputes and stuff but just carryin a weapon did all the talking. u will be suprised how polite people can b wen they know ur armed and carry a shotgun rapo.
I'M NOT GOD I'M JUST HIS SECOND IN COMMAND.

indigo_indo
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by indigo_indo » Tue May 17, 2011 6:55 pm

alfaromeo17 wrote:.
well i agree with alfaromeo that the attitude of people changes with the first look of the gun or the holster even... once i parked my car outside a road side dhaba near distt courts just to hand over the file to my person who was waiting outside . the dhaba man came running and furious to me to get vehicle out of way that could have blocked the vision of pedestrians who may came to him . .. as i was taking out my revolver from the dash board and tucking it in my inside the pants holster the dhaba owner just saw me doing this and his possible words of annoyance changed in to submissive tone and humble gesture , i also responded politely and said " bas thodi hi dair mai file de ke aaya " and he said ok koi baat nahi....

i believe that one of my fellow on this forum has a signature " speak politely and carry a big gun "
If you want peace ; you have to be prepared for war.....

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Tue May 17, 2011 7:07 pm

In India the best bet would be to get a subtle hint across that one is armed but actually never reveal your arm to anybody. In non urban areas, the mere notion that a particular person is generally armed is enough for people to show you deference.

Moot point is that, God forbid, one were to get into a fire fight, the onus would be on the licensee. Just as in a road accident the bigger the vehicle the more the 'gunaah'. Although logic and actual truth would go flying out of the window.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

davidj7
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by davidj7 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:13 am

not intending to go off topic . For those who had to fire a gun , how did the law respond to your action.Were you asked to surrender your gun ? etc

Katana: i am surprised to say that attitude is changing in these parts at least in automobile accidents.My premium luxury car was rammed by a auto while I was making a turn at a slow speed with turn signal blinking . This guy cut across 2 lanes and bumped into me. After making sure the damage was cosmetic I let him go. Locals were on to me saying why did I let him go ,its not my mistake and I could have got at least Rs2K from that guy .Needless to say I was left standing with an open mouth.