Have you ever had to use a gun ?

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
kenhypno
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Have you ever had to use a gun ?

Post by kenhypno » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:38 pm

oh i remember owning an blanca air pistol http://www.aimco.co.in/products/109-bla ... istol.aspx and it so happened my cousin broke it i was on my way to repair it and on the way went to my trainers office to explain why i failed the insurance agent test ! i told i had personal reasons ex girlfriend stalking me (really).so had to carry a gun just showed a peek of the butt all hell broke loose.direct phone calls to my manager referals and security. quietly i walked out.no time to explain.later on in the whole colony through the referal people came to know i had a gun! later i explained it was a chidimaar airgun! still i remember i never went to collect it from MSaleh crawford market,because next day Kasab came in with his real guns! :cry:
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." -- The Dalai Lama, (May 15, 2001, The Seattle Times)

For Advertising mail webmaster
pdn70
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by pdn70 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:00 pm

Used a gun? Ya ....fired around 12000 rounds till date. Ha ha ha......in real situations, got 17 successful shots.
:lol:
I think that the invention of the Bullet is the most remarkable event in the history of mankind. It has the power to ensure both Humanity and Inhumanity.

REGARDS, PDN.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:11 am

keny

Read earlier posts and remember carrying any gun toy or airgun on person is fraught with risk both legally and personally. Police has in some cases prosecuted folks and what if some one mistakes it for real and challenges ?

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:21 pm

You are right, never tempt itchy trigger fingers.
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:58 am

I once used the only "weapon" I have - an air rifle, to shoot at a Sandal wood thief who was transiting through my property carrying a Sandalwood log that he had stolen from elsewhere. It was dark (11 pm very little ambient light) Range about 20 meters. Man sized target. I missed. The police came within minutes and actually caught him.

This happened about 20 years ago and thinking back I think I deliberately missed. It is not easy to shoot a man.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:47 pm

Stupid and dangerous to use air weapons for self defense
To Excellence through Diligence.

kalashnikovcult
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by kalashnikovcult » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:20 pm

bennedose wrote:I once used the only "weapon" I have - an air rifle, to shoot at a Sandal wood thief who was transiting through my property carrying a Sandalwood log that he had stolen from elsewhere. It was dark (11 pm very little ambient light) Range about 20 meters. Man sized target. I missed. The police came within minutes and actually caught him.

This happened about 20 years ago and thinking back I think I deliberately missed. It is not easy to shoot a man.
It may sound unwise to use an air-gun however the situation demanded it and you did that ...this wasnt the time to think that airgun for self defense is taboo ! anything, even a chappal flung would be a reaction to defend yorself and your property ..i agree with what you did .
cu kar az hama hilate dar guzasht
halal ast burdan ba shamshir dast.

When all other means have failed,it is righteous to draw the sword

-- Guru Gobind Singhji Maharaj

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:41 pm

I have been doing some pistol shooting at the range and realise that it is incredibly difficult to be accurate with a pistol beyond 20 meters. Suddenly I find myself admiring police officers who successfully shoot people in their legs in an encounter. I have read news items where the police have done this on two occasions at least in the last month or so.

OT for this thread but I wonder what ammunition the police use and whether they too use standard issue OFB pistols/revolvers

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:55 pm

Not to rain on anyones parade here but if you start throwing rocks or even a chappal at someone, the probability of getting shot in return is low. If you pull out an airpistol, you definitely are looking at getting shot, 99 times out of 100.
Simple game theory. You have just upped the threat perception and whereas earlier you might have gotten away, now things have been brought to a whole different level?
Just google self defense and air powered weapons.
You used it and got away with it is pure luck.
Why tempt fate again when you know better and can upgrade to a fire arm.
To Excellence through Diligence.

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:08 am

Hello All,

BIG GAY AL- I know the kind of trauma you go through after such incidents. Mine was a little worse, I witnessed 25 Aug 07 bomb blast at Gokul chat, Koti, Hyderabad.

I have encountered (Have you ever had to use a gun ?) situation twice..

My neighbour farmer has a DBBL licensed for pest control. He is also a small time goon and produces liquor in his farm. A few instances did happen that he entered our fenced premises without permission and few a time in the night. Our farm land surroundings are very well known for robbery. They rob even for home appliances like ceiling fans and tubes. :shock:

May be last Jan I was talking to a worker and suddenly 2 fellows with a DDBL and SBBL entered half way into our family land. And when I asked for the reason for their presence, they had an obvious reply what is endorsed on the license. I had to yell on them and then said my license is endorsed for self defence and if ever I see them again then they know the consequences.

And on 31 march 2012, a bunch of friends met in my farm to mount scope to his newly brought 30-06 and test fire. We were expecting to finish the job and leave before its dark. But a few friend joined us and we ended up partying all night. At around 1130pm, we guys were high with spirits and dance :cheers: . We had just 2 CFL's bulbs and it was pitch dark around. Suddenly we heard noises of people walking on dry leaves and coming towards us. We immediately stopped music waited for a min to verify and ran to our car and picked up a 30-06 and DBBL ( i didn't have my .22 then).

We had gun, enough confidence and a good reason to shoot. The biggest problem was we had no idea on the number of people or which direction to shoot. Then we shouted 3-4 times "koun hai" (who's there) and there was no response. But we still hear footsteps around, then we decided to move back to secure our back with car and cocked the guns and were ready. Then suddenly 3 people came from our back about 10 meters away and finally responding "sir, hum hai Imam, kuch problem hai ka" (its me Imam, any problem?).

Imam is our lessee leased our farm. He was checking for intruders in the night with 2 of his mates. After he coming near, we shouted at him till our alcohol levels got to normal. And warned him not to repeat his stupidity by not replying when someone was asking for his identity holding gun ready to fire.

It was horrifying but a good experience (now when we pals remember it or talk to people it sounds funny) and a good lesson too. I thank god that nothing went wrong and we were able to be on toes and concious, though drunk.

After this I was able to convince dad to get this BBQ spot (we call so) fenced with bard wire for added security. Later we partied there 4 times till date and no other extra ordinary things happened.
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

Oggie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Oggie » Wed May 08, 2013 2:19 pm

Stampmaster,

Cardinal rule of firearms safety - Alcohol and firearms do not mix - ever - period. In a country where as it is getting a firearms license is next to impossible your actions on that day could have been disastrous in general and extremely detrimental to responsible firearm license seekers. There should be zero tolerance for mixing firearms with alcohol.

thakur
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by thakur » Wed May 08, 2013 3:53 pm

The incident is about 11 years ago. I was driving to my village in Etah district and off the GT road came across a hit-n-run victim. The local crowd had blocked the road and on seeing my Pajero ran towards it throwing rocks. My first reaction was no reaction but then something kicked in and I took out my licensed pistol, cocked it and kept it under my leg on the seat thinking lets see what they do. I couldn't turn back as there was a truck behind me. Just then a guy walked up to my side and said that with the Pajero I could drive off into the fields and get away. It made sense and I did just that. Short distance away came back on to the road and took another route to the village. Don't know what happend to the hit-n-run victim or the truck that was behind me. The memory still brings back a jittery feeling.
Cheers,
Thakur

"Shoot well - Lens or Rifle"

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Wed May 08, 2013 11:13 pm

Oggie- Thanks, advice taken.

Presence of mind is very important to direct such situation well.
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

Oggie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Oggie » Fri May 10, 2013 5:39 pm

StampMaster,

Good on you for taking that in the right spirit.

I personally know a "champion" who after a few tipples shot their brand new TV with their brand new rifle by way of an accidental discharge. My policy with firearms extends to very strictly avoid alcohol completely when out hunting or shooting.