Man stabbed to death chasing muggers in east London

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Man stabbed to death chasing muggers in east London

Post by Vikram » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:37 pm

My hear bleeds for this guy and his family.Do not want to slander such a brave man.But,from the looks of it,he could even be working illegally,which makes it even more heartrending.He was in UK to work and send some money to his young family.Now he is dead trying to fight a crime which wasn't his call.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8450052.stm

A man was stabbed to death while chasing thieves who had snatched a woman's handbag in east London.

Sukhwinder Singh was attacked while pursuing two men who mugged a 28-year-old woman near Barking station in east London on Friday night.

Mr Singh, 31, had chased the men along Victoria Road, into Uphall Road, where he was stabbed at about 1900 GMT, the Metropolitan Police said.

The father-of-one was taken to the Royal London Hospital where he died.

Police said he was an Indian national working in the UK as a builder whose family lived in India.

He is thought to have been staying with cousins in Barking.

Police have set up a cordon around the murder scene and officers have been searching bins in Victoria Road.

The two suspects were described as black, aged in their 20s to 30s, and both were about 5ft 7in to 6ft.

Detective Inspector John Sandlin said: "This is a tragic death of a man who was killed for attempting to stop others committing crime.

"I am appealing for anyone that knows who committed this crime, or who has any information about those who committed this crime, to do the right thing and come forward and contact police."

He also urged anyone who had seen the robbery, the following altercation or people fleeing the area to come forward.

"It is also possible that the suspects may have abandoned the bag stolen and I appeal to anyone who may find a brown leather shoulder bag, to contact police," he added.
Your take..

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Man stabbed to death chasing muggers in east London

Post by MoA » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:12 am

The sad part s even if he caught them, and beaten them up. He would've gone to jail and been deported, while the criminals would have gotten a slap on the wrist at most. Just another reason why I dont think the nanny state is doing a good job in keeping its citizens safe.

Recently the Metropolitian Police was asked not to report the true crime numbers for fear of scaring the public. :shock: Thank you Mr. Brown, bang up job of running the country.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:29 am

the following incident happened approx 3 yrs ago.

a gang member sneaked off with my mobile while the other members distracted me; a common ploy.
i realised what they had done and reflexly challanged them and went after them. i somehow even managed to snatch my mobile off them.

this was bang in leicester square at approx 2230 on a friday night. (for those unfamiliar with the place, think a gurgaon mall on a saturday).

i have mentioned this incident in another post.

what i didnt mention earlier was the police reaction when i went to report the crime:

firstly they asked what i was doung there. I said its friday night ten thirty!! (half of london is here). I was waiting for another doctor friend and we were to go partying.

they asked me where i lived i told them. (they were writing all this down in a small notebook).

he then asked me how i came there etc etc. Then asked what my plan was now. I said to go clubbing. I felt that i was being interrogated. i reminded them that i wasnt out there to get a FIR so i could claim another mobile from insurance but to report a migging incident at the heart of tourist land of london.

they said i shouldnt be out "so late" and suggested i go back home.

They personally dropped me off to the nearest tube station and 'told' me to go back home! (without me asking them to or even suggesting that i wanted to.)

Remember that I had even told them that i was there to meet a friend but all they said that what i had done was dangerous (I could have been stabbed) and that i shouldnt be out and should return home.

This is just one of a few personal experiences ive had. the good thing is that they dont ask for bribes/abuse u/beat u.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:14 pm

The cops are a joke in the UK. They arent even armed... so what would they do in a chase? Shout 'Stop or I will shout Stop again.'

mik
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by mik » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:08 pm

Police in uk are waste of time was pulled last week by officer accusing me using phone while which i was not instead of giving me warning of not to use the phone while driving he was more intrested in asking me who i was where i was born how i came to this country the house which i live in belongs to me or rent it. i couldnt understand why he wants to know all that strange. at the end told me sir i am letting you go on benefit of doubt.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:26 pm

the good thing is that they dont ask for bribes/abuse u/beat u.
This seems to be the only difference between cops in UK and India.

My personal opinion, if you are unarmed, should avoid confronting the thugs as they can be dangerous more then expected. If the cops are themselves scared of confronting the thugs, then it would be reasonable to assume that you also have valid reasons to avoid confronting the thugs. Loosing any amount of valuables is always better than loosing ones life.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:30 pm

My condolences to the family of the victim.