Suggest a knife for self-defence please

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
professor
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Suggest a knife for self-defence please

Post by professor » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:36 pm

:agree: Vikram, goodboy

For Advertising mail webmaster
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:58 pm

this thing about mind training?

only thing you have to agree with is that if it comes to the crunch you are willing to use what ever force is at hand.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

chucky
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by chucky » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:27 pm

Hello,
Why don't you try the expandable steel baton. Its compact enough to carry around. U can teach ur girlfriend to use it. Its not sharp, so no hassles. Can get them in India, so no import hassles. Though i have not tried the ones available in India ( so do not know the build quality). But u can still try one, they are very cheap( around Rs.500 ) :)

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:35 pm

Hey chucky, since you've touched the topic of expandable baton, I wanted to know whether the same are legal in India. And where do you get them here??

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:45 pm

chucky wrote:Hello,
Why don't you try the expandable steel baton. Its compact enough to carry around. U can teach ur girlfriend to use it. Its not sharp, so no hassles. Can get them in India, so no import hassles. Though i have not tried the ones available in India ( so do not know the build quality). But u can still try one, they are very cheap( around Rs.500 ) :)
really good advise !!!

m24, I have seen quite good Chines steel batons sold in one Tibetan shop in Manali in HP, not sure about legal status.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:19 pm

please check out the arms act, as expandable baton was discussed in one thread while back. unable to find the link.

check out schedule 1 of the arms act. category V.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

chucky
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by chucky » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:31 pm

Hello,
As far as the legality of the expandable baton is concerned, I don't know the exact status. Though i don't think it should be a problem considering the fact that it does not have a edge. I have not personally seen it, but found it while searching the web for a different product. It was listed under a different name. try the link below, they are from a dealer in Delhi, claims to have more models ( but do forgive his English ) :lol:

http://shop.ebay.in/i.html?LH_BIN=1&_nk ... 86.c0.m301

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:58 pm

nagarifle wrote:best form of self defense is laughter. you tell a joke so funny while they are craking up you ride away on your bike. :D

some things in life can not be avoided and some can so best learn to avoid those things which can be avoided.

take a base ball bat, it has many uses, with it you can teach a new game or two as baseball bats are not well known in this country. :D and no licence is needed for it. just take along some balls as well. :D
ROTFL

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:12 pm

I have my doubts, how a baton or rather a collapsible baton or some other exotic device can help if accosted by a group of well armed thugs determined on looting/killing/maiming/raping etc. On the contrary any display of such equipment/half hearted resistance etc. is going to enrage them further. Batons etc. can serve the purpose of policeman etc., because they are in a team, they also have firearms as a backup, they can also call in more re-enforcements if needed. All this is not available to a private citizen.

For an isolated private citizen, the response has to be of equal severity/deadliness delivered with speed and surprise. I will go for pistol/katar/ or dao as suggested by nagarifle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katara_%28sword%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dao_%28sword%29

Regarding the importance of speed and surprise:
I tell you one real incident that happened many years back on a lonely street at night in West Bengal. One maid-servant was returning home late after midnight, after finishing her day's hard work. She was
accosted by a few men who thought her to be a woman of easy virtue roaming at night. When confronted, she furiously took off her saree etc. threw her clothes up in the air, becoming stark naked like a woman possessed, shouting "Jai Maa Kali!!!" at the top of her voice, swinging her arms and body furiously, hurling abuses and challenging them to come forward. Believe me her actions actually shocked/scared those men away, they went back running saying "Maa Kali" has possessed her!!! :shock:

chucky
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by chucky » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:04 am

goodboy_mentor wrote:I have my doubts, how a baton or rather a collapsible baton or some other exotic device can help if accosted by a group of well armed thugs determined on looting/killing/maiming/raping etc. On the contrary any display of such equipment/half hearted resistance etc. is going to enrage them further. Batons etc. can serve the purpose of policeman etc., because they are in a team, they also have firearms as a backup, they can also call in more re-enforcements if needed. All this is not available to a private citizen.

For an isolated private citizen, the response has to be of equal severity/deadliness delivered with speed and surprise. I will go for pistol/katar/ or dao as suggested by nagarifle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katara_%28sword%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dao_%28sword%29

Regarding the importance of speed and surprise:
I tell you one real incident that happened many years back on a lonely street at night in West Bengal. One maid-servant was returning home late after midnight, after finishing her day's hard work. She was
accosted by a few men who thought her to be a woman of easy virtue roaming at night. When confronted, she furiously took off her saree etc. threw her clothes up in the air, becoming stark naked like a woman possessed, shouting "Jai Maa Kali!!!" at the top of her voice, swinging her arms and body furiously, hurling abuses and challenging them to come forward. Believe me her actions actually shocked/scared those men away, they went back running saying "Maa Kali" has possessed her!!! :shock:

Hello,
I agree that speed and surprise ( presence of mind )is necessary. But if u think not carrying a weapon will mollify ur attacker then I cannot agree to that. Try reading the news about crime in Delhi, Mumbai or any other city in India for that matter. My best wishes to the maid who got away. But had it been any other time and place the result could have been different. She had already done half of the attackers work (by undressing). Answer me truthfully, Would You recommend the same or similar strategy to any of your friends or family member? Sorry for saying that, hope ur family & friends stay's safe. If no exotic device or otherwise can help you, then just say your prayers and hope the attackers fear god. There is no absolute solution for this kind of problem, it's just about trying your best. Having a Katar or a pistol is just another form of defense, not a absolute one.
As far as Dah/Doa is concerned here are a couple of photos. Forgive me for the stains on the blade ( was just trimming some trees) :D

:cheers:

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:47 am

Nice one you've got there, chucky.

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:35 pm

The best self defense "knife" that I would suggest would be the humble paper cutter.

its legal, does not attract attention and highly effective. get the biggest one and nobody will even "charge" you of carrying a "weapon"

klick klack..... diskaon

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:36 pm

But if u think not carrying a weapon will mollify ur attacker then I cannot agree to that.
I am actually surprised how you came to the conclusion that I am saying "not to carry weapons". I have never ever told not to carry a weapon, on the contrary, I am saying to carry effective weapons, not something like batons etc. Personally I do not consider batons etc. to be weapons of any meaningful effectiveness to confront a group of determined attackers bent on deadly violence. Ineffective resistance is bound to enrage the attackers. Batons etc. can serve the purpose of policemen etc., because they are in a team, they also have firearms as a backup, they can also call in more re-enforcements if needed. All this is not available to a private citizen. Private citizen should have a weapon that is a "force multiplier". The response has to be of equal severity/deadliness delivered with speed, surprise and without any mercy. If pistol/revolver is just "another" form of defense and not a force multiplier, then baton is for sure not a better form of defense than a pistol/revolver. Yes if you have no other option except batons etc., then you have no choice, go for them.

As far as the question of the maid is concerned, I am not "advocating" anything. On the contrary you have missed out noting her quick decision/response, challenging attitude, she had very little options, either to submit, beg or challenge to her best "possible" capability, which she did successfully by creating a bizarre and violent scene with her loud war cries of "Jai Ma Kaali", ferocious gestures bordering insanity and it worked out as her attackers were looking for enjoying an "easy" time and not a "challenging" time recovering in hospital. There is a saying in Japanese that a loud voice can shake the birds off the tree. Again I am not advocating anything, or trying to say that this is the thing that should be done.

The main point is:
You have to take a quick and firm decision as to whether you want to comply/beg/run or attack without mercy to your best possible capability.

chucky
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by chucky » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:31 pm

:agree:
But the main problem is getting a License for fire arms.

alexdavis
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by alexdavis » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:48 pm

i suggests a collapsible batons. when talking of a quality try the product of ASP or Monadnock coz i have heard that they have best quality.