Can New Weapons System Change the Mentality of these Cops?

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
tingriman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Can New Weapons System Change the Mentality of these Cops?

Post by tingriman » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:55 am

Dear Members,

I just came across this news item

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 298180.cms

A cop on Karkare team had not only fled away when shooting began but also provided the C/R with false information. Add to this, another shocking piece of information that large number of other cops including from special unit also did not react or provided any assistance to slain Karkare's team.

Now, these incidents leave us with a lot of thoughts......... and finally I think that modernation of weapon is not the only solution, the solution lies somewhere else....... Are cops of Mumbai have become so insenstive to basic human values? Do they need a fresh training and motivation or they are just a gone case ? I have seen members of J&K police fighting very bravely, some of them are personally known to me, and have never come across such an incidence of cowardance on the part of police members expect one since the terrorism errupted in the State. This particular incident involve some 5/6 policemen surrendering along with their weapons to a group of more than 15 terrorists, what i know about their fate was that they are dismissed and prosecuted. But What about the bad apples of Mumbai ??? Don't govt need to set an exmple by punishing severly those who brought bad name to police of Mumbai???

Any thoughts members

tingriman
Last edited by tingriman on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
professor
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Can New Weapons System Change the Mentality of these Cops?

Post by professor » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:24 pm

I don't think that any new weapon system will change their mentality but one must not blame entire department for this type negligence by a few. Apart from that educational eligibilty criteria at the entry level for a constable & above should be revised....what u say...

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:27 pm

professor wrote:Apart from that educational eligibilty criteria at the entry level for a constable & above should be revised....what u say...
What education have to do with bravery :?
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:46 pm

I was wondering if we had lil more liberal Arms Licensing, then i am sure there would have being civilian with arms on these locations. Who might have helped our miserable armed police men.
Imagine if people who were hurdled by 1 terrorist in hotel room. If any those guest had weapon, may be they would have not only taken care of themself but also given help and diversion to our police forces and commandos operating.
I know .32 or .38 or .22 revolver wouldnt have matched AK 47 but still. :roll:

professor
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by professor » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Nothing as such......but the way a cop behaves to a layman on the road is the ample indication of their mental conditioning...kanwar bhai akhir kuch jajba to develop ho apne kaam ke prati....

tingriman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by tingriman » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:58 pm

professor wrote: but one must not blame entire department for this type negligence by a few
No, I am not blaming the entire department, how can I forget those who are taking bullets on their chest everday in J&K, North-East and troubled States of country and ofcourse including those who fought terrorists in Mumbai.
kanwar76 wrote:What education have to do with bravery
Very well said Kanwar :agree:

regards,
tingriman

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:49 pm

The training regimen of the cops has to change. As does the fact that often the cops are issued weapons without ammo. Unfortunately I think the wrong lessons will be learned from the incident.

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:29 pm

better salary may also help quite a bit
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:58 pm

better salary may also help quite a bit
Sadly the fighting spirit/courage/patriotism cannot be purchased by a higher pay.

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:56 pm

What's the point of New weapons system when your basic beat cop is still carrying only a lathi. I mean they are always the first on site. Until, we arm them, train them, don't see the point of all this new weapons system.

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

kdbanan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by kdbanan » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:30 pm

As does the fact that often the cops are issued weapons without ammo

If that is true....then what's the point in giving them a gun? I guess they are better off with a lathi...

Anyways there is no news about cops not having any ammo during the recent Mumbai attacks...so I guess the once who fled were just COWARDS!!
The path of t righteous man is beset on all sides by t inequities of t selfish & t tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in t name of charity, shepherds t weak through t valley of t darkness. For he's truly his brother's keeper & the finder of lost children & I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance & furious anger those who attempt to poison & destroy my brothers.

island-miami
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by island-miami » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:30 pm

kdbanan wrote:
As does the fact that often the cops are issued weapons without ammo

If that is true....then what's the point in giving them a gun? I guess they are better off with a lathi...

Anyways there is no news about cops not having any ammo during the recent Mumbai attacks...so I guess the once who fled were just COWARDS!!
Its not just ammo police in India need other equipment like bullet proof vests, bomb disposal kits etc and of course training. You cannot expect a guy to rush into a situation where he would very likely get killed without any protection or the training.

kdbanan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by kdbanan » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:33 am

You cannot expect a guy to rush into a situation where he would very likely get killed without any protection or the training.

When they took that "Oath" to protect the country and it's residents, they knew very well what they were getting into!!
But nowadays for most of the cops, the job is another way of "minting" money!!
The path of t righteous man is beset on all sides by t inequities of t selfish & t tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in t name of charity, shepherds t weak through t valley of t darkness. For he's truly his brother's keeper & the finder of lost children & I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance & furious anger those who attempt to poison & destroy my brothers.

island-miami
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by island-miami » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:31 am

I agree corruption is rampant in all of public sector there but they are cops not soldiers, the street cop, the havaldar needs more than a lathi and training in lathi charge techniques.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:07 am

There is something 'goofy' going on in Mumbai..even the ex commissioner incriminated against certain officers, similar issue was raised by one of the widow of the martyred officer in her book. Its always the atypical chaps who stand up and fight when chips are down case in example the brave officer who grabbed AK and caught that only terrorist..

Rest agree with Kanwar bravery cant be taught.

I have an anecdote for J and K officer, one such officer trained abroad (special warfare something) with a friend of mine. He impressed every one and had a very different and remarkable outlook an epiphany of sorts-- he stated that based on experience and others brethren officers he had service of life of x years and wasn't afraid or intimidated by any one. His instructors ( all from special forces) were also in awe of him and his enthusiasm to take the battle on .

Best