Hostage drama unfolds at department store in Venice

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Hostage drama unfolds at department store in Venice

Post by Subal das » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:34 pm

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2009 ... +in+Venice
VENICE (Bay News 9) -- Two masked men armed with guns held 15 employees at a Venice T.J. Maxx department store hostage for about three hours Tuesday night.

Somehow, the gunmen managed to escape as SWAT team members entered the store to help the hostages.

Seven of the hostages left the store unharmed before SWAT members entered. One hostage - a 16-year-old girl who had been hiding from the gunmen - was injured and dragged out of the store on a blanket.

The drama started just after 9:30 p.m. when reports came out that gunmen had taken over the store.

By 10 p.m. SWAT team members from the Sarasota Sheriff's Office had surrounded the building.

Three of the hostages managed to run out of the building a short time later. Just after midnight, four more hostages exited the building. SWAT officers then entered, searching for any remaining hostages and the gunmen.

After searching the building for a little more than an hour, no gunmen were found.

Officials said the gunmen tied up some of the hostages but it was unclear what their demands were.

Authorities are still investigating the incident and actively searching for the gunmen.
what would you do in such situation, gun your the way out, hide, run??
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

For Advertising mail webmaster
Zake
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Hostage drama unfolds at department store in Venice

Post by Zake » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:47 pm

It's a personal opinion but I think Hiding rarely works. I mean they want to stay in the space. It's not like they wondered in and will leave. They are in there with you locked up and if they search and find you then that's the worst situation you can be in. All that stress on both parties no telling how one will react to something like that.
I have heard guys trained to handle situations like those say always charge. Just charge the guy. They least expect it. They come with guns or whatever blazing thinking that they are in control. It's a psychological thing I'm told that when you charge they go on the back foot mentally.
I personally have never been to a situation like that. So no idea what will happen. I train for it and if it comes to that, hopefully I'll be able to survive.

All that aside, who on earth does a Hold Up in a department store ?? I understand trying to rob a department store, shoplifting from a department store. But holding up a department store !!??

eternalme
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Hostage drama unfolds at department store in Venice

Post by eternalme » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:17 am

Zake,

Holding for negotiations , I think the assaulters themselves escaped posing as escaping hostages :-p

Regards
ll====lll lll====ll
lll Subs lll