I got robbed on Friday

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

I got robbed on Friday

Post by dev » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:30 am

Some hardworking thieves gave my weekend a bang. We had locked our flat with a normal lock and key instead of the interlock, those heavy locks with the walt disney type of key. They grabbed 50k which a visiting uncle had 'hidden' in his suitcase. They grabbed three new running shoes, three cell phones(one NSERIES sob), my wife's Hugo Boss perfume, four of my wristwatches, some new t-shirts.

The scary part was that they had gone through all the amirah's which weren't locked and had sorted the new stuff and all. Luckily they didn't find my rifles and air pistol. They left the television, DVD and stereo alone. They also took the main house key along for a future date???

So we spent Friday nite trying to the FIR...the process is still on. And we changed all the locks on Sunday. The blessing is that no one was at home and no one got hurt...but I now feel this crazy urge for a pump shotgun and 00 buck.

Hope that those of you lived in a fool's paradise like me learn from this.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: I got robbed on Friday

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:21 pm

Dev,

Damn sorry to hear this. You of all people don't deserve this after what happened early this year.

I really do hope the insurance blighters don't make you go round the bend and you get what is due.

Use this event to get yourself a handgun or shotty licence but I hope you never have to use it in anger.

Take care and I hope 2007 is a far better year for you.

Mack The Knife

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:28 pm

The scariest part of all this is that you were being watched !

Sorry to hear about your loss. Hope the FIR gets through and the goods recovered.
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:43 pm

Going by past experience of friends, family etc. - Unless you can bring to bear serious clout, you can forget about recovering any of the goods/ cash! Even if the cops are not hand in glove with the thieves, and do manage to catch them - they will pocket any recovered goods/ cash themselves... :evil:

Insurance is the only chance of getting something... I do hope you have a home owners policy!

NOIDA, being smack in the middle of Gaziabad district - I would doubt the law and order situation there will get much better any time soon... Take Mack The Knife's advice and get yourself some real guns for home protection. As penpusher constantly keeps reminding us a good imported single barrel will not be that expensive to procure... Even thought it is only a single shot, there would be few thieves who would be daring enough to take it on - no one wants to be that "one" member of the gang who got his nuts completely shredded by birdshot ;) (buckshot has been illegal in India for sometime now, so you can forget about buying any).

You guys take care, and do let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:09 pm

Thanks for your advise guys. I am following up with the cops just as a duty. I don't expect to get anything back. I have a little marlin .22 with some iof ammo but the handgun license seems like an idea. Hope that's all for this year and a lifetime.

Regards,

Dev.
mundaire";p="6209 wrote: Going by past experience of friends, family etc. - Unless you can bring to bear serious clout, you can forget about recovering any of the goods/ cash! Even if the cops are not hand in glove with the thieves, and do manage to catch them - they will pocket any recovered goods/ cash themselves... :evil:

Insurance is the only chance of getting something... I do hope you have a home owners policy!

NOIDA, being smack in the middle of Gaziabad district - I would doubt the law and order situation there will get much better any time soon... Take Mack The Knife's advice and get yourself some real guns for home protection. As penpusher constantly keeps reminding us a good imported single barrel will not be that expensive to procure... Even thought it is only a single shot, there would be few thieves who would be daring enough to take it on - no one wants to be that "one" member of the gang who got his nuts completely shredded by birdshot ;) (buckshot has been illegal in India for sometime now, so you can forget about buying any).

You guys take care, and do let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:10 pm

Amen!

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:18 pm

Heck dev.. What a shitty thing to happen! Any suspects? It usually those riff raff that you find loitering around the colony.
Lets hope and pray that the cops get a bit of luck.

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:14 pm

Dev,

Sorry to hear about what happened.I got a burgular alarm after a theft at my house at Mohali(it used to be mostly locked up).It took place between 11 AM to 2:30 PM.Weapons would help only if there is somebody at home to use them. Thank your stars that your .22 was not taken.Not because of the monetary loss that you would have suffered but because of the harassment that would have followed.

penpusher

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:14 pm

That is what I am relieved about the .22 rifle. The cops would have had a field day with it. That is why I count my blessings.

Jonah it seems like a very fast and educated gang...might even be smart kids on the prowl for fun.

Regards,

Dev

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:40 pm

Sorry to hear that Dev. I know what it feels like first hand... having gone through this twice now unfortunately. (One time being robbed at gun point)

Anyway... its one of the reasons I'm thinking about getting a handgun and getting my wife to learn how to shoot!

Hope you get something back... if not all!

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:47 pm

Just been resurrected after the conference Dev,
Sorry about the break in and will echo the sentiment -yuo're lucky they left the guns behind !
thought you have neighbours and watchmen and its a busy colony??!!
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:02 pm

Very sorry to hear this Dev, As Mack The Knife said its really must've been hard for you after the tragedy at start of the year.. but still good that no body got hurt.

Hope you get something back..

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

to_saptarshi
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by to_saptarshi » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:45 pm

Extremely Sorry to hear this Dev, things could be worse than what had happened and I must thank god as nobody in your family got hurt. Of Course you can go for Handgun license but that will be effective only if someones tries to rob you while you are in home and personally I feel that even if you challenge them with Your marlin .22 nobody will be dare enough to accept it. So what I suggest you that get your house insured (if not already) and buy some burglar Alarm (Watch Dog can also be a good choice) because all this happened when you were not in home and if they take any second attempt they will look for the similar opportunity

Hope this will not happen again in your entire lifetime and you never have to use your guns

-Saptarshi

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:49 am

Dev,

Get a gun safe if you can find one in India or get a wall safe. That is a must if you have guns at home and there is a possibility that you may be away. Also, as penpusher points out, an alarm may be a very good idea. I know from a friend who works there that the Canadian Inter Inter company is planning to sell it's integrated alarm and warning systems in India next year - that system not only sounds an alarm on the spot, it auto dials upto five phone numbers to wanr people about a particular house being broken into. It is a fantastic system and not very expensive - if you want me to, I could point you to whoever is their dealer in your part of the country.

Also, do get a handgun by all means, but, as Saptarshi points out, it would not be of any use if you do not happen to be on the spot. If you buy one, get a 22 lr because you would be able to use the same ammunition for both your handgun as well as your rifle in case you have to fight your way out of a mess.

Personally, I am not sure that a dog is a good idea. Any dog ever born could be knocked down or killed very swiftly by a reasonably strong man with a knife. Have all the dogs you want as pets but I doubt they would make much of a difference as far as stopping thieves or armed intruders is concerned.

Also, in most places, the police are FULLY IN THE KNOW about the identity of thieves working in various localities. If you have contacts in the higher echelons of the police force, just talk to them and tell them that you want your stuff back and would not be interested in filing a complaint. Chances are 999 out of 1000 that you would get everything that was stolen exactly as it was taken. I have seen this happen on more than one occasion in different parts of India. :wink:

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:11 am

Sorry to hear about the robbery and as Mack The Knife mentioned next year would be much better. These robberies are like car accidents anytime one can walk from such an event without injury or harm its a blessing. All the best
Cheers
NG