Shooting in my neighbourhood

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Shooting in my neighbourhood

Post by mundaire » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:04 pm

Today afternoon I heard of a rather shocking incident that took place earlier in the day, in the same neighbourhood and not 700 meters from where I live. An armed intruder knocked on the door of a flat and on the door being opened he immediately opened fire, the lady of the house and her maid were shot dead. On hearing the noise people from close by came to investigate and apprehended the shooter. More information should be available in tomorrow's papers.

This brings to fore the point that none of us are really safe even at home, in fact it is precisely here (where we feel most secure) that we may actually be at our most vulnerable... So far I'd been keeping my 1911 unloaded, with a half loaded magazine stored separately (would take a min. of 5 minutes to access both and rack the slide), am now reconsidering. Am curious what home defence precautions others take?

Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Re: Shooting in my neighbourhood

Post by penpusher » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:12 pm

A loaded hammer double barrel shotty in my almirah during daytime and under the bed,on the floor, at night

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:27 am

1. .30 Pistol with magazine loaded but empty chamber with 1 spare loaded mag. (26 rounds).
2. .32 revolver all chambers loaded with 7 loaded HKS speed loaders in LOCKED draw by bedside(since I have to
contend with small children at home). (48 rounds).
3. .315 Rifle unloaded hanging on wall at study table with 6 rounds on butt stock.(For a while I used to keep a
loaded mag but was worried about keeping the follower spring compressed for prolonged periods and risk
having it fail just when I need it). (6 rounds).

Three flash lights, cell phone and landline on bedside table. Probably take a half a minute to load the rifle. The "home minister" has limited experience in handling guns (she hates them) but would probably be useful as a back up if the primary(me) fails :( .

Anand

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:57 am

I would say precautions to keep danger at bay are safer, rather than keeping loaded guns at bedside etc. I always keep iron gate of main door of my flat locked, so that no one can simply push/barge in when I open the door. If you are living in a house designed with keeping security in mind, it will be difficult for intruder to barge in without alerting you. Once you are alert before some one barges in, you can prepare yourself to defend. As far as weapons are concerned I do not have any firearms(I am thinking of applying for license for 12 bore shotgun after elections are over), I have to be content with "traditional" rather household weapons like iron rod, iron hammer, large knife etc. :wink:

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:04 am

Two trained security guard beside gate of bungalow armed with stick for 24 hrs ,main door with video camera phone , smith & wesson model 31 2 inche barrel loaded , 3 speed loader loaded and winchester model 12 pump action 21 inche barrel ,magazine capacity six with 40 rounds of mirage one number 12 bore cartriges is within 4 meters distance .
Reaction time for grabbing revolver with speed loader 10 second, loading 6 cartrige in winchester and clipping ammo belt 2 min . James

Prabhath
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Prabhath » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:57 am

No firearms as yet for me. Confident with the next best things for safety. One dobermann on the ground floor, near the main door and free to run around. A dobermann and a german shepherd on the terrace. Dare any intruder to come past these guys..........

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:41 am

I plan to keep a ZU23 in my living room pointing at the main entrance. Only 20 shots loaded per barrel. Uncocked but belt in place.... :mrgreen: ...it shouldn't take too long to rack and and pedal fire it...:)

Maybe an RPG7V with illuminated sights under the bed with just one spare OG7 rocket.

And on a more serious note... a single CC cam covering the entrance arc...and a stuffed up hand gun -magazine out but within ready reach...(beyond the kids though).... double shotty with the shortest legal tube (imagine fumbling with a 32incher in the confines of your home) and a handful of ammo, again within easy reach. A good torch is handy.

Perhaps develop a procedure to communicate/deal with strangers knocking at your door. Being rude/firm is better than being dead.
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

raj
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by raj » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:53 am

My dad keeps his 12gauge loaded below his bed.i keep my.22LR on my bed with 2rounds in magzine & none in chamber.We have agreed to keep doors of our room locked during night & no one would open it (if any thing is heard) before talking on the phone.
As my room is on ground floor,i have instructed my parents not to come down (even for a glass of water) during night without giving me a call.
We also have made it a point to have speed dialing in phones of atleast 2 neighbours & police station(only 350mtrs away) in all the houses of the colony.

Regards
Raj
---I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be the one controlling it.

---"Slow is Smooth,Smooth is Fast"

casual shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by casual shooter » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:13 pm

guard at entrance, motion sensors at all balconies, terrace and in the hall, staircase, all doors opening outside the house burglar protected with sensors all connected to a siren indoor and outdoor, with automatic dialing on 4 numbers including 100 for police.
and my ashani loaded in the almirah the sirens will give me enough time.

siddu_2u
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by siddu_2u » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:56 pm

well i would say ,
in compound you should have a commander trained Rottweiler Dog ( its purely legal in India , no need of taking license like they need to do in the west ) :twisted: . & have this door camera thing , you can open the door after confirming who is on the other side .
& in the house i think you should have another dog like a Dalmation , which might not be that powerful but it can surely allert you .
& in the bedroom i would strongly recomend a Pump Action Shot Gun . But not under or on your bed because its not safe to keep your gun loaded . so i would recomend a product like this or something similar to this
[youtube][/youtube]
you need not spend 40 US$ , you can simply get one welded quite cheaply in India .
& a telephone ( cellphone ) at the side of your bed or under your pillow with speed dialing of 100 & some of your neighbours numbers .
& also an alarm button to allert your neighbours . ( you will generally see these in games , once you loose your stealth think you lost your life ) :twisted: :!:
& i would also recomend things like Pepper Spray or rubber Bullets ( if they are allowed in India ) instead of taking someones life & fight all those cases & laws kept on your head .
i think the first shot should be of rubber bullets & the rest should be normal . i would say a shot of Rubber Bullets & an Air Fire should make him surrender .
Stay Safe
:)
Last edited by siddu_2u on Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ScoutSniper
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ScoutSniper » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:30 pm

I plan on keeping a BB gun to shoot the intruder as a warning shot!(the most awesome thing about BB gun is, the target doesn't know where the bullet came from! :mrgreen: )

Still if he/she ain't discouraged enough! i have my 0.22cal tommy with hard tip pellets! :twisted:

striker
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by striker » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:51 pm

Intruder After entering inside and combating with gun is a different story. Before that our living premises should be well secured to know what happening around from Inside,

1)The security cam in the Entry gate and Enrty Doors should be must and aerial view and most possible Entry should be is under special note/cam ..
2)In night The master bed should have access to near by Master switch to lit up the whole house and the Entire compound Area .Its also better have a facility to have a loud siren because most of the intruder are trembled by sudden loud siren&flood light during night .
3)Try to Train yourself to load & reload the weapon fast and correctly and this will help you in critical situation and makes less panic.(practice makes things perfect)
4)The final and ultimate thing -when the situation calls for a kill place your shots vitally .

cheers
sankar

siddu_2u
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by siddu_2u » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:45 pm

guys i have been thinking of this topic all the day even after my post .
i thought the above opinions mentioned by me & others are not possible for every one to put in action , atleast not for me ( for many reasons ) .
so after thinking for all day i suddenly got struck by an idea at the end .
it can easily be implemented by every one .
it will sound better than what i or others have said .
i would say its the best solution for the problem & here it is :

I would strongly recomend everyone to watch the entire series of ...
HOME ALONE .! :!: :lol: :lol:
:lol: atleast once in every month , to keep you completely prepared for any situation even for a war :!: :twisted:

sorry if it sounded a little funny :stupid: :wink: :lol:

sid :lol:
:cheers:

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by msandhu » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:04 am

I do keep a 9mm pistol with 2 magazine (15 rounds in each mag) close to each other . It stays in a safe locked place during daytime and close by at night. The chances of someone intruding in the daytime are usually rare (though it can happen).
Cheers
Mandeep

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:15 pm

ScoutSniper wrote:I plan on keeping a BB gun to shoot the intruder as a warning shot!(the most awesome thing about BB gun is, the target doesn't know where the bullet came from! :mrgreen: )

Still if he/she ain't discouraged enough! i have my 0.22cal tommy with hard tip pellets! :twisted:
Take a guess about what a badly tickled intruder/s can do to you? :wink:

There is a whole lot of literature available about how to deal with or how not to deal with home intrusion.May save lives to be familiar with them.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."