What is the minimum handgun calibre....

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:53 pm

cyrixoutside wrote:btw - i used to have a .25 acp pistol, once it fired it at a plastic shampoo bottle, the range was about 5 feet, the bullet bounced of the bottle, not even a scratch.
Not surprised to hear that. Someone I know had one for sale and according to him they were only good for making a loud noise.

You are lucky it did not come back and hit you in the eye. What on earth were you trying to achieve at such a short range?

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
cyrixoutside
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cyrixoutside » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:15 pm

hi,

well i was testing the real world performance of the .25 and i really did not imagine that it would not even to thourgh a plastic bottle

:)

rajat

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:06 pm

Dangerous stuff, Rajat.

Just hope no one else tries it.

Mack The Knife

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:20 pm

Mack The Knife/Rajat,

With my .25 I put down a rabid dog - the only living thing that I shot with it - with just one shot. I am presuming that the problem in Rajat's .25 was with the ammunition - thirty or forty year old ammunition may not perform well especially if all the powder is not ignited.

In any case, penpusher's suggestion cannot be dismissed. :lol: We shall have to ask Johan whether Bengt Ericsson's howitzer is still available.

Cheers,

Mehul

cyrixoutside
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cyrixoutside » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:25 pm

hi,

i just hope that people who carry a .25 for self defence never need to use it, coz it you a false sense of confidence. it really useless.

anything that can't go through a shampoo bottle at 5 feet, is hopeless.

i suggest that a member who has a .22 lr revolver or pistol (or even rifle, though i expect the rifle will go through) shoot at a harpic bottle, maybe from a slightly greater distance than i tried and please report the results

rajat

sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sat » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:47 pm

btw - i used to have a .25 acp pistol, once it fired it at a plastic shampoo bottle, the range was about 5 feet, the bullet bounced of the bottle, not even a scratch.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Would have loved to see your expression, surely a 'kodak' moment.

I heard of a incident where the attacker, using an axe, was hit 3 times in the heart/chest area with a 22LR. The intruder still had enough in him to land a fatal blow with the axe. The intruder did not survive.

Sat

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:32 am

Must be one tough shampoo bottle or some very old ammo.

Take care,
penpusher

cyrixoutside
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cyrixoutside » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:29 am

hi,

the ammo was fresh S&B, it would at max, have been about one year old and the bottle was a normal plastic bottle, like the hershey;s chocolate sauce bottle.

man it sure was a "kodak" monent.

later on i read on the internet that in real world shooting encounters .25 bullets have even failed to penetrate leather jackets and there were even some instances of the bullets bouncing of the skull bone, that would sure give the bad guy a very bad head ache, but also increase his determination to finish you of.

there was case about a old lady you shot an intruder in her house with a .25, he took about one hour to die, in the mean time he kept beating her, and she was herself nearly dead by the time help arrived.

:)

rajat

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:33 am

cyrixoutside wrote:i suggest that a member who has a .22 lr revolver or pistol (or even rifle, though i expect the rifle will go through) shoot at a harpic bottle, maybe from a slightly greater distance than i tried and please report the results.
Sat get off your idle-rich backside and do this test with both the .22lr revolver and pistol. And don't use the KF rounds you tightfisted so-and-so.

Mack The Knife

P.S.: Have they graduated to Harpic in your village? :mrgreen:

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:31 am

Hi Guys,
good to be back under another avatar...did use 22 HP for canine euthanasia.
Suggest all gentry intrested in stopping power seriously consider a Meerut/Muzaffarnagar Katta. :twisted: The damage and stopping power is incredible-wont find any mention in anyones 'stopping power' tables or with martin fackler! 600-1000 rupees for that ultimate pop.beats the big guys by a country mile and you can always chuck it in the river...lets see you do that with a 4lac original webley :lol:
WOuld prefer the old -slow and heavy to the post modern spray and pray-45 in 455 or 45acp
Great to be back and in a very interesting topic too.Instead of harpic, good old plasticine-care for it anyone?
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:55 am

eljefe wrote:Great to be back and in a very interesting topic too.Instead of harpic, good old plasticine-care for it anyone?
Hi Asif! Plasticine? Your idea of ballistic putty?

I recall reading a recipe or perhaps two for making the real thing.

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:14 pm

Mack The Knife,
Carpenters putty will do pretty well-icky icky though.
Any luck with finding a vein?
How do I post a couple of snaps of katta efficacy?
Axx

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:18 pm

Mack The Knife,
Carpenters putty will do pretty well-icky icky though.
Any luck with finding a vein?
How do I post a couple of snaps of katta efficacy?
Axx

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:13 pm

eljefe wrote:How do I post a couple of snaps of katta efficacy?
E-mail them to me and I will post them if the Mod agrees - being an illegal firearm, by and large, it may be counterproductive to the purposes of this board.

Mack The Knife

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:05 am

Mack The Knife/Asif,

I am not sure whether we should have pictures of illegal firearms or of their effects on human targets here. It would be a strictly academic exercise in showing what is available in India etc but we still need to be careful not to give anyone the wrong idea about our site on the whole.

You are aware of how trolls tried to disrupt the old Yahoo boards on more than one occasion. I do think that we need to be careful not to give them any opportunity to do any damage here.

Thanks,

Mehul