What is the minimum handgun calibre....

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:40 am

Mark wrote:Oops, previous post should have been in a different thread.
Perhaps but some excellent points there and one I subscribe to.

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: What is the minimum handgun calibre....

Post by dsingh » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:06 pm

Best for self defence is your temperament and reaction. In case surprise attack we Sikh's carry kirpans, they can be the best weapon, particularly kasmiri kirpans made of hard metal or teghas (hard broad swords) smaller ones will be better if attacker is close to you but one should be careful using teghas made of Patiala or Amritsar these will severe the attacker's body if you have tegha attackers attacks you rod or stick if you stop the attack with tegha stick axe or rod will be broken if you're attacked with guns then 12 bore gun loaded with LG SG or 1 number rounds or latest ordnance 4 number deluxe can repulse the attack but most important is your reaction

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:16 pm

hey moderator man this man is mentioning the burmese militants like he only can ;-) so its time to again put him in a can. Hah ha ha Jonah man you just can't help it can ya ;-).

Regards,

Dev
jonahpach";p="637 wrote: "Hear no evil speak no evil, see no evil" is my new motto. The minit i start to try and contribute something meaningful to this forum somebody starts screaming bloody FIRE! :cry: Anyway somewhere in this tread I seem to have read a mention of Mizoram as a "Happening" state. Thanks alot! One of our national magazines have chosen Mizoram as the most peaceful state in India. No bloody murders or Assasinations or even minor robberies in a long long time.. ***Edited by Mod***
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:30 pm

Dev,

It seems like this one slipped under our noses without anyone noticing... the post was made ages back (in June '06) - so not carding our man :) Have edited out the offending bits...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Serious Redneck
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Serious Redneck » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:18 am

Sirs, myself never having been in a gun battle, (been close a few times, scary as ever), I can only tell what I have learned in much training about head shots and such. Most police gun fights here in U.S. are at an average distance of approx. seven feet. Hit to body ratios are low, like 30%. Hit to head ratios would be even smaller. Much of this is attributed to loss of fine motor skills due to the stress of the event. There are exceptions to this, training helps. A friend of mine (street cop) shot a guy 16 hits out of 16 fired. Next time this same man was in a shooting, he fired 5 or 6 shots and missed all. Go figure

We are trained to shoot center of mass, keep firing until threat is gone.

Happy Day

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:15 pm

Center body mass is fine, have you met up any one who's gone through a a formal self defence school like massad ayoob's ? their teaching,legal viewpoint and psychomotor training should help lose the time dilation and tunnel vision a bit?
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:02 pm

I know/knew people who went to Massad Ayoobs place - and/or `Thunder Ranch` is it ? - for Combat training. All reckoned it was very worthwhile - and from what I saw at a training demo once I`d have to agree. All were working, or hoping to work as bodyguards.

Isn`t `Serious Redneck` polite ? Obviously `dragged up proper` by his ma and pa`. It won`t last.......not if he stays on here anyway !

Serious Redneck
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Serious Redneck » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:31 am

Well, I tell ya, I try to be polite here cause I don't want to get banned, being as this is truly an international forum and all. Americans from the U.S. like me might tend to irritate some folks from other places if we let our ignorance show. So I try to be careful, and besides the older I get the more I realize I don't know it all.

I've read some articles by Massad Ayoob, but couldn't say if any of the guys I know have been to his school or not. Most major departments have incorporated a great deal of tactical training in to their programs. I know my dept has in the last ten years or so developed a bunch of close quarters combat stuff that we have to train in. If you are familiar with the Colombine high schooll shooting that occurred in Colorado about ten years ago. That incident birthed a entire branch of street level patrol officer tatical training, so that first responding officers could make a difference and not wait until SWAT was on scene. Also and this may be more of an answer to your question, we train so that out guys will know what kind of physiological effects to expect in a gunfight, tunnel vision, auditory exclusion, loss of fine motor skills (aiming well), stuff like that. We hunt each other in role playing scenarios using simunitions, fired from real guns, to replicate combat stress for example. I just sat through a class a couple weeks ago that went over this stuff again and also what we should expect from our departments investigation process and the civil legal defense we will get if we are sued. I've been sued twice so far, but both times the County has defended me for no cost (its in their best financial interest to do so anyhow).

An author I would recommend to read is a man named Col. Dave Grossman. He is a psycologist that was a U.S Army officer (retired) and a West Point instructor. He has studied killing and combat and their effects on the human body and mind. Very good writer, knows what he is talking about. He teaches a class called "the bullet proof mind", I haven't been to it (county would pay for me to go) but I have heard it is excellent.

Happy Day to ya as always