Catapult

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
casual shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Catapult

Post by casual shooter » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:55 am

A good quality catapult with glass marbels can be a effective weapon of self defence if practiced and have reasonable good aim, tribals of alirajpur areas use it very effectively and call it a gofan i have heard that they can drop a deer with it and are really good at it and use even steel balls.
but were can we get a good quality catapult in india.

For Advertising mail webmaster
yash3_great

Re: Catapult

Post by yash3_great » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:39 pm

Technically speaking, a "Gofan" is more of a sling than a catapult. It is what David used to kill Goliath.

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-abr/a ... rkids.html

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:35 pm

catapult/slings were used in warfare during and before romans times. i do believe that the catapult is an upgrade of the sling.

one up on this would be the Brizelian /argies cowboys bolos, very effective once you have got pass the self stranglation stage.

i prefer steel ball barrings, as ammo. glass marbles can crack.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:36 pm

I once found some wrist rocket tyes in of all places a dollar store in one of the malls at Noida. Quickly picked two for the nephews, should have picked all of them. You should be able to buy them online from Crosman.com, I am guessing here and have no idea what the laws are.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:55 pm

dev";p="63956 wrote:You should be able to buy them online from Crosman.com, I am guessing here and have no idea what the laws are.
Catapults would be classified as toys, AFAIK there is no restriction on their import.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:03 pm

Just an info. Tourists are not allowed to buy even a Catapult in Switzerland. This is announced at every corner in bold letters.Once known for its liberal gun policy, people came from across Germany and Italy to buy ammo and especially Black Powder for which Switzerland is famous. Alas!!! No more for them either.
Marksman
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

casual shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by casual shooter » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:44 pm

just googled catapult india and found good quality one is also available at g smith pune please visit their site.
yes i agree gofan is a sling shot.
but really lethal.

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:13 pm

Well, it is relatively easy to make one... so why import one ??

Here is mine..

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:36 pm

hi olly

how dare you cut down trees to make your little toy? you know that trees have feeling too?

really i would have to report you the National Tree Commission for doing such unwarrantable damage to trees.

your only way out is to hug a tree and become a tree huger. and only proof that would be acceptable is a photo showing you hugging a tree.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

raj
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by raj » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:44 pm

casual shooter";p="63966 wrote: just googled catapult india and found good quality one is also available at g smith pune please visit their site.
yes i agree gofan is a sling shot.
but really lethal.
hey, that catapult is great. i m going to pune in 2-3 weeks.i think i will try this one at G.Smith Co.
---I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be the one controlling it.

---"Slow is Smooth,Smooth is Fast"

tingriman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by tingriman » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:20 pm

I am thinking to make one for myself :)

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:48 pm

casual shooter";p="63948 wrote:A good quality catapult with glass marbels can be a effective weapon of self defence
Is it a joke :?: :roll:

lazybones
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by lazybones » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:16 pm

No joke this.
Don't know about catapults, but slings were weapons of war in the ancient world. Read a "what if" study that pitted Alexander's Rhodian slingers against Wellington's muskets at Waterloo. The Rhodians won - in this study at least :)

Ashok

chattron
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by chattron » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:32 pm

@Olly
Nice one.Really liked the look of the holder :). Maybe a little polish on the wood will complete the whole look.By the way what is the projectile velocity :wink: .

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:41 am

Naga,
I AM a tree-hugger... only that for this Y shaped piece I waited for the Municipal Corporation to prune the road-side trees for me... :mrgreen:

Chattron,
Nice idea... we DDs are ready to chrono our rifles... so I guess I'll do the same to catapult too... :)