Best For Defense--Revolvers Or Auto Pistols?

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Best For Defense--Revolvers Or Auto Pistols?

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:28 am

Still say a hand grenade, as long as there is a stout wall in between. :D

For Advertising mail webmaster
TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:36 am

hks2056: You have taken "Best for Defense...?, a question that will never be answered to everyone's satisfaction, into a different topic. Quoting a "microbiologist and pediatritian", who "feels", "believes", and "speculates", hardly qualifies him as an expert on self defense. He may have done the best analysis and reconstruction of events, or the only one. But that is all. It does not take his credentials to figure out that a shot must hit in a lethal spot to kill instantly. In that case a lowly .22 RF does as well as a .700 NE would do.

Nor does that famous incident relate to self defense, unless you view it from the criminals' point of view. Being high on adrenalin, or dope, lets you handle hits that might prove incapacitating otherwise.

Further, the question specifically asked whether a revolver or semi-automatic pistol would be the better choice. I don't think anybody would disagree that a long arm would be better, if you had access to one, and the situation warranted. If I wanted to mug you in a dark alley, and you carried a rifle or shotgun, I'd shoot you before you had a chance to regard me as a danger. If you carried a handgun, which you would be carrying concealed, the odds of getting the first shot off might be in your favor.

It would hard to beat Naga's favorite 105mm for instant annihilation of an aggressor. But unfortunately it's not man portable, and takes too long to deploy. Unless your self defense question refers to the siege of your compound. Nor do you seem to recall that an Indian citizen's choice of arms are limited.

Yes, the FBI's conclusion was that a more powerful pistol round was needed, and the .40 S&W was developed and adopted by many police and federal agencies. But they don't hit any better than they did with 9mms.

So far it appears that you have pirated the topic and seem intent on proving that you know more than anyone else, or that the unrelated sources you quote do so. So kindly stick more narrowly to the topic when you contribute.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:57 am

As long as it goes bang and shoots to the point of aim,does it make a difference?

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:15 pm

winnie_the_pooh wrote:As long as it goes bang and shoots to the point of aim,does it make a difference?
Agree 100%, if one can get off a shot at the right time then six or ten won't make a diff.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

hks2056
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hks2056 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:56 pm

Dear TwoRivers
You are most welcome to your own thoughts, views, perceptions, ideas, convictions, beliefs,opinions, thinking, ramblings, musings, conjectures, surmises, rationales and logic etc.etc.etc.. I do not have even a faintest desire to add to them.Wish you Godspeed in whatever you do.I also hope that you may never have to face any critical self defense situation.
with my best wishes

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:06 pm

In the case I do again, I'll do what I did the last time around. And my best wishes to you.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:08 pm

So far it appears that you have pirated the topic and seem intent on proving that you know more than anyone else, or that the unrelated sources you quote do so. So kindly stick more narrowly to the topic when you contribute.
:agree:

Dear HKs plaese tell us why do most police forces in the world carry handguns for self defence and not shoulder weapons. Do you know something they all missed.

Best self defence weapon is the one what one is most comfortable with. If youre more comfortable (like me) with a sholulder weapon then good for you. But that still doesnt mean that shoulder weapons are the 'best' and no your internet reference doesnt prove a thing.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:03 pm

Stand in queue guys...quit shoving
Last time I asked him a question about what guns he owned and whether they had melamine/Gypsy hard topmaker Fibre glass stocks-no response
asked him about various bbls-no response
African experience?
so whats your story here HKS? are you an avid surfer or can you go beyond the simplicity of walnut stain and melamine and various other quotes off the internet, ad nauseum? If you seriously belive that wood/ stock makes no appreciable contribution to the accuracy of a firearm, then:
I calling you down- troll or faker/poser
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:20 pm

Last time I asked him a question about what guns he owned and whether they had melamine/Gypsy hard topmaker Fibre glass stocks-no response
asked him about various bbls-no response
African experience?
+1 : sidelock for doing well in competition :no response
Saeed in finals of world cup: no reply

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:23 pm

C'mon gents you scared the guy off. how will we ever have fun if you continue this way ROTFL . We need some absurd arguments just to keep us sharp. I for one am convinced that if I stare at any BG with my shoulder weapon (the little Marlin.22), he will be struck by a bolt from heaven. :roll: Now if only I could wear a long coat all the time in the Delhi weather. :oops:
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

hks2056
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hks2056 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:17 am

Dear eljefe
I don`t wish to say much to you except few words.Sometimes the matter is rather dense and the contrarian is unable to grasp the heart of the subject in entirety, and, is happy with hasty generalizations and conclusions simpliciter which become his comfort zone as is your case. You seem to get viciously rattled when you see even an imaginary breech of your comfort zone. It will perhaps be of some interest to you to learn the fact that Saeed never ever reached the Finals of World Cup Championship in Skeet. His name does not figure in the ranking of nearly 150 skeet shooters available on the website of ISSF. So whether he uses drilling or side by side is meaning less.What redeems you in my eyes is that you are an avid gun buff full of gusto albeit with somewhat skewed enthusiasm. May be five or ten years from now when you are more of yourself, and acquire more knowledge cum familiarity of the subject, you will be able to acquire discernment tempered with common sense. Please keep up with your disjointed ramblings so that others can regale themselves with amusement. After all the fun lies in half baked thoughts.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:46 am

It will perhaps be of some interest to you to learn the fact that Saeed never ever reached the Finals of World Cup Championship in Skeet.
:banghead:

Lanato world cup skeet mens finals results available on issf and youtube. (references given in the other threads, maybe you didnt bother to read) This coming from a man who claims to have watched the world cup.

Pray tell me then who was the sixth shooter in the finals addition to vincent, georgios,nikaloas,andreas and valeriy.

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:03 am

hurry up gents, I feel this thread going to be closed soon :deadhorse:
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

rraju2805
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by rraju2805 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:59 am

Subal das wrote:hurry up gents, I feel this thread going to be closed soon :deadhorse:
:agree:
YOU CAN FOOL SOME OF THE PEOPLE SOMETIME
BUT YOU CAN"T FOOL ALL OF THE PEOPLE ALL TIME

hks2056
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hks2056 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:00 am

Dear shooter
kindly see the world ranking list of skeet shooters issued by ISSF on their website. You will have your answer.