Close Quarters Gunfighting Tactics

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
SURFACE TO AIR MISSILE
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Close Quarters Gunfighting Tactics

Post by SURFACE TO AIR MISSILE » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:03 pm

Dear Members,Very interesting links below :D Please check them out :!:

AND FINALLY PICKING THE RIGHT HANDGUN :arrow:

:cheers: ,
SAM
SURFACE TO AIR MISSILE

Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword never encountered automatic weapons !

For Advertising mail webmaster
Drunknhappy
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Close Quarters Gunfighting Tactics

Post by Drunknhappy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:38 pm

The guy in the first video has no idea what he is talking about. The number one rule of close range combat is never extending your firearm. This guy not only extends it but does so by moving his arm behind his body. This is a very bad position to be in when the target is about 5 feet away as shown in the video. The guy is asking to be disarmed as he is reacting to a threat and reaction is always slower than action. He should have turned in the other direction while drawing closer to his belly and using his other arm to keep the assailant at bay while moving away from the target.

The next three videos are a more accurate display of close range combat and shooting from unusual positions.

The guy in the last video is an idiot.

It is important to learn correct techniques rather than a youtube video of someone imitating something he saw in the movies. There are a lot of mall ninjas out there.
:cheers:

Oggie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Oggie » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:47 pm

Drunknhappy -Is this a conclusion you made from a logical premise based on the video or out of expertise in gunfighting?

Drunknhappy
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Drunknhappy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:05 pm

I have never been in gun fight and I hope I never have to be in one. My above analysis is based on years of tactical and defensive firearm training in the US from many reputed and well qualified instructors. I have carried a defensive handgun for almost 10 years now. Over the years I have fired so many rounds that I had to set up a 4 stage press in a room just to make it affordable. I have a decent collection of about 30 firearms which include long guns, hand guns and assault rifles. I have shot IDPA competitions and other state competitions for about 6 years. I don’t think that makes me an expert or even close to it but for what it is worth I learn something new every day.

The technique used in the first video is commonly used in timed competition as it saves a fraction of a second. What most people fail to understand that fraction of a second is not worth the enormous risk of disarm that move brings with it. Every instructor I have worked with has shown how easy it is to disarm if someone does not use retention techniques at close range. It may be a great move in timed competition but a terrible move in a real life situation. Remember the facts the assailant is between 5 and 10 feet. He is behind you and you are drawing from concealment. Your first goal should be to increase the distance between you while using your weak hand to place the assailant at bay. In order to get a better idea of what I am talking about I have included a report of how police officers in the US judge a threat by the 21 foot rule. Now remember this is when the guy is in front of them and in sight.
The 21-Foot Rule was formulated by timing subjects beginning their headlong run from a dead stop on a flat surface offering good traction and officers standing stationary on the same plane, sidearm holstered and snapped in. The FSRC has extensively measured action and reaction times under these same conditions. Among other things, the Center has documented the time it takes officers to make 20 different actions that are common in deadly force encounters. Here are some of the relevant findings that the FSRC applied in reevaluating the 21-Foot Rule:

Once he perceives a signal to do so, the AVERAGE officer requires 1.5 seconds to draw from a snapped Level II holster and fire one unsighted round at center mass. Add 1/4 of a second for firing a second round, and another 1/10 of a second for obtaining a flash sight picture for the average officer.
The fastest officer tested required 1.31 seconds to draw from a Level II holster and get off his first unsighted round. The slowest officer tested required 2.25 seconds.
For the average officer to draw and fire an unsighted round from a snapped Level III holster, which is becoming increasingly popular in LE because of its extra security features, takes 1.7 seconds.
Meanwhile, the AVERAGE suspect with an edged weapon raised in the traditional "ice-pick" position can go from a dead stop to level, unobstructed surface offering good traction in 1.5-1.7 seconds.
The "fastest, most skillful, most powerful" subject FSRC tested "easily" covered that distance in 1.27 seconds. Intense rage, high agitation and/or the influence of stimulants may even shorten that time, Lewinski observes.

Even the slowest subject "lumbered" through this distance in just 2.5 seconds.

Bottom line: Within a 21-foot perimeter, most officers dealing with most edged-weapon suspects are at a decided - perhaps fatal - disadvantage if the suspect launches a sudden charge intent on harming them. "Certainly it is not safe to have your gun in your holster at this distance," Lewinski says, and firing in hopes of stopping an activated attack within this range may well be justified.
:cheers:

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:50 pm

why not some body will start similar tactical training for civilians in India too. Can it be a good biz as it is everywhere in the world, in India...

From what I have seen on video Gunsite's materials are quite good, Magpul too.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

Shaundassey
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Shaundassey » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:25 am

Our friend Drunknhappy has the right idea wrt the first vid . . at that range in that scenario the demonstrators technique has poor retention capability . . . there are however means of improving on it . . .

also . . . for those who feel its a great way to slow down an attacker . . . just remember , in a civilian environment with innocent people around . . you dont want a round flying all over the place or ricochetting of the road :-) . . some techniques are great in competitions and on the range . . .

. . . any CQB familiar ( Drunknhappy my salute to you ) will always stress on the concepts of increasing distance / avoiding the line of fire etc as and when possible . . .

-- Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:27 am --
Subal das wrote:why not some body will start similar tactical training for civilians in India too. Can it be a good biz as it is everywhere in the world, in India...

From what I have seen on video Gunsite's materials are quite good, Magpul too.

Hi Subal Das , check out the post on events for SWAT and Tac shooting in bangalore . .
cheers

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:51 pm

Hi Subal Das , check out the post on events for SWAT and Tac shooting in bangalore . .
cheers
very important and valuable services, especially consider the fact that security situation in most metros going down the drain. best wishes.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"