concealed carry...disturbing trend

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
mehulkamdar

Re: concealed carry...disturbing trend

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:16 am

I would add a note to Naren's excellent post. Even in highly anti gun states like Illinois, people who have defended themselves have been freed by the courts. There was the case of a man who used a shotgun to hold three criminals who had broken into his house until the police arrived, and the police arrested him for using a gun to keep them at bay. The courts threw the police case out, and rightly so. The sad fact is that even in the USA< this kind of thing can happen...

Mehul

For Advertising mail webmaster
Spud
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Spud » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:15 am

Hello Everyone

Axp817 - I have read all the post above and have been interested in Guns most of my adult life I served 9yrs in the British Army most of my time in Northern Ireland, but that?s by the by, I have been in some extreme situations in and out of uniform, so to coin a phrase "I've been around the block " so to speak, One thing that I would like to point out is that the UK has the lowest gun crime in the whole of Europe, when I was in I owned a P226 9mm but when I left I had to get rid of it to a fellow member of my unit as I could not own a firearm as a civilian, I think this law in the UK has helped the many, at the cost of us few gun enthusiasts.

I will be moving to India in the next couple of months and hope to join a club and enjoy my passion once again.

Regards
Spud

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:58 am

Spud,

Your information is not correct. There was a big boast by Turdy Blair when he first became Prime Minister that the UK had the lowest rate of gunc rime in Europe. Your current violent and gun crime rates are higher than many European countries including Germany, Austria, Switzerland etc. Of course, you'll never get the facts stated explicitly if you read the Guardian or listen to the BBC. Organisations like Resurrect the SPort and several shooters' groups in the UK have the government's own data available.

Mehul Kamdar

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:31 pm

Also, it is only the crimes committed with guns that hit the front pages, crimes prevented by guns never get the limelight. If one were to read the "Armed Citizen" column of the "American Rifleman" magazine, one would know. But what % of the general population reads American Rifleman?

Spud, welcome to the forum. The statistics thrown around by the British Govt. or any other pro gun-control body are utter hogwash.

-N

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:39 pm

Yup the only side effect is you suddenly hit middle age and find a paunch obstructing the view of your toes or slightly higher up. ;-0

I am being punished for the fun I had by writing ads for the rest of my life. Sheesh there goes the self image.

Cheers Dev
Vikram";p="4211 wrote: BTW, Dev, that is an exciting life you had. Hard and dangerous life albeit, exciting surely. :D

Best-
Vikram
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:05 pm

I carried a nunchaku for years and the day I had to scare a bully away, one stick came off the chain!
HAHAHA....

Reminds me of a twit (no offence to you) I knew who carried one. He was a lot older than us and was into all this martial arts bull. Anyway....he used to ask us younger boys to punch him in the stomach to toughen him up.

One day this sod smashed me in the face with a cricket bat because I gave him out. A week or so later, he wanted us boys to toughen him up again. I was only too happy to oblige and punched him right in the goolies. I still cannot forget that look of utter surprise and pain on his mug. :mrgreen:

My motto: Engage brain before putting mouth or limbs into gear. ;)

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:18 pm

Mi casa es tu casa, as the genial spanish speaking world puts it, does not apply to an intruder in my house!
All the control in the world tends to slip with life and family in danger.I had this true,weirdo story about this 'human'who sued his host because he (the visitor)slipped and fell in the host's loo! It can only happen in US
I would go with Naren in giving him 8 inches of my coldest steel or both barrels of hi vel 12 gauge -(with apologies to Grumpy on my previous stand on downloading shot shells!)
That cop stand on downing dacoits applied in my hometown Bangalore many tears ago, late 80's I think, when there was a spate of armed robberies.One chap who potted one of the gang during a break in attempt actually got a cash reward.Way to go!
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:00 am

That cop stand on downing dacoits applied in my hometown Bangalore many tears ago, late 80's I think, when there was a spate of armed robberies.
That is probably still the case.

A few years back Prathap just managed to stop a dacoity at his place (another story) and next morning when the Commissioner of Police (Sangliana) came to his place, he told Prathap to apply for a hand gun or shotty and to shoot to kill, not wound.

Whether the police will stand behind their unofficial stance is another matter.

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:10 am

Yup, they do, Sangliana's word was pretty solid.
Another story which also surfaced around then was a posse of cops chasing these dacoits in a field, one tripped and shot his team mate in the throat with the 303:dacoits-1 cops -0.
Thats why I guess they leave it to armed citizenry to pot these guys and save them selves a whole load of grief.Did Paratap get any?...bangalore many TEARS ago..as in my post-must be a freudian slip.
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:53 am

Thanks Naren for the reply. You are an exceedingly level headed young gentleman. But again a quality common among C & H readers, of course exceptions like me are always there. :wink: :lol: .
One day this sod smashed me in the face with a cricket bat because I gave him out. A week or so later, he wanted us boys to toughen him up again. I was only too happy to oblige and punched him right in the goolies. I still cannot forget that look of utter surprise and pain on his mug.
I am still laughing and slapping thighs, mine of course.

I have a nice(?) anecdote from our days of patrolling our colony during dacoits scare. Later.

The bastards killed our wonderful native hound ( a real one. not to be mistaken with the lovable Biscuit & Cake hound M Dirty Dog) Dumbo for he was a very alert and ever watchful of the entire street in the nights. For weeks I kept the gun loaded in the nights waiting for them to come. :evil:

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:15 pm

Repeat after me 'when it comes to the goolies I will always put my best foot forward'. That way you create longer lasting inj...er...memories. ;-0

DEV
create
Mack The Knife Bana";p="4296 wrote:
I carried a nunchaku for years and the day I had to scare a bully away, one stick came off the chain!
HAHAHA....

Reminds me of a twit (no offence to you) I knew who carried one. He was a lot older than us and was into all this martial arts bull. Anyway....he used to ask us younger boys to punch him in the stomach to toughen him up.

One day this sod smashed me in the face with a cricket bat because I gave him out. A week or so later, he wanted us boys to toughen him up again. I was only too happy to oblige and punched him right in the goolies. I still cannot forget that look of utter surprise and pain on his mug. :mrgreen:

My motto: Engage brain before putting mouth or limbs into gear. ;)

Mack The Knife
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Leif Runenritzer
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Leif Runenritzer » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:16 pm

mehulkamdar";p="4130 wrote:In the US, while gun ownership is permitted in most states and concealed carry in all but two - Illinois and Wisconsin - the fact is that getting a concealed carry license is not only a difficult task, it is something that requires the license holder to go through psychological evaluation and marksmanship tests before they can get this permit. It is not an easy affair at all. As a matter of fact, I doubt that there are any statistics at all about crimes having been committed by CCW permit holders because the numbers are tiny, if at all there are any.
In Oregon at least, getting a permit doesn't take much effort, in hindsight. You have to attend a firearms safety lecture, which i had to pay $25 to attend, find two character references to whom you aren't related, fill out a form without incriminating yourself, mail it to the county sheriff, await a reply, go to the county sheriff's office, pay $65, submit your fingerprints to wherever, and wait for four weeks or more. If i change residences, i have to get my card reissued for $15. Renewal is $15 every four years. 2nd amendment? What 2nd amendment?

Sorry for coming off as ungrateful.

hellfire_m16
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by hellfire_m16 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:47 pm

I read this statement about self defence.......can't excatly remember the source........

60 percent of self defence is to run away from the place of confrontation.

Regards,

-V
"Men are like steel, when they lose their temper they lose their worth."
-Chuck Norris

eklavya
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by eklavya » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:14 pm

Presence of Mind is the first thing above everything and Prevention is better than Cure....Nice Post..

Best

sdiversp
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by sdiversp » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:37 am

Dev,
Interesting post. As you know all 50 states have different laws about CCW in the US although the general culture is more pro gun than India. While Oregon, Florida have concealed carry laws, Arizona & Texas have open (not concealed) carry laws and there is everything in-between. I unfortunately come from the Republic of Kalifornia where you have to sleep with a hippocritical democratic carcass to get a CCW. I completely agree and posted that having a weapon as a citizen holds us to a greater responsibility that most people are not ready for. The potential to feel a 'dada' or macho is too great when a passerby whistles at your gf/wife/daughter and you need to show that you can protect their honor when you are packing. In Kalifornia we cannot use deadly force unless there is immediate danger to my life or my family's life. While I hope never to get into this situation, the reality is hiding in a closet or running away with a gun in a hand and living to fight another day sounds great to me for now. Shoot at what you are absolutely willing to destory cause once you do, you will pay through your nose to stay out of prison, and if you can't stay out of prison you will pay through your ass.