concealed carry...disturbing trend

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
ravi.sharma
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: concealed carry...disturbing trend

Post by ravi.sharma » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:14 pm

Hi Dev,

I dont think, imposing BAN on some one just because, he/she is expressing their views and their personel experience, which contradicts to the thinking of some people is right.

Please give a thought to it.

:cheers:
Ravi.
Believing Everybody is Dangerous; Believing Nobody is Very Dangerous..........

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:19 am

Suspending someone for just expression of views does not seem justified. I would not like to take sides, but I would say it is a question of values every individual has. Some people prefer flight to be better than a fight. Most of the people in this world prefer flight over fight. In India, the number of these kind of people seems to be more these days in every state.
Using the same logic, one can say that the freedom fighters/our soldiers who died for our country were fools. Same logic and mentality can be extended back into our period of history, invaders came from the north west through Darra e Khyber(meaning "pass of the lions" because invaders equated themselves with lions) and looted/ruled us over a thousand years. It was stopped only once in the period of Indian history during the reign of Ranjit Singh, that these attacks were not only stopped, but also reversed back through the so called Darra e Khyber and his people were able to live in peace.
I leave it it to every individual to decide whether flight or fight is better in a given situation because they are the best judge of their own situation. Extreme of either flight or fight is bad.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:41 am

He was suspended, not banned, not because he had a different view to that of a Mod. We of course live in a free country and all are entitled to our opinions.That is the reason we are here.

However, you overlooked this statement

''Even the neighborhood guy who tried poisoning my dog last week is now in the hospital; I belted him quite well and allowed my rottie to have a piece of him. If I had a gun, I would have shot him on both of his knees.''

This is a public forum.One is admitting to an assault and the second admitting to a willingness to shoot someone, that someone unarmed and the proposed act in anger/retribution, in knees. We are watched by antis all the time and we need nothing like this to give them ammo to portray gun owners in bad light. The suspension was for that.

Hope it clears up a few things.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:35 am

Rottlord

Lordie Lordie..pull the gun to knee cap some one ..crossed the line again and broke the cardinal rule of gun ownership to handle with responsibility and this board ..suspension is a time out to reflect.

Cheers

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:38 pm

Suspending someone for just expression of views does not seem justified. I would not like to take sides, but I would say it is a question of values every individual has. Some people prefer flight to be better than a fight. Most of the people in this world prefer flight over fight. In India, the number of these kind of people seems to be more these days in every state.
Using the same logic, one can say that the freedom fighters/our soldiers who died for our country were fools. Same logic and mentality can be extended back into our period of history, invaders came from the north west through Darra e Khyber(meaning "pass of the lions" because invaders equated themselves with lions) and looted/ruled us over a thousand years. It was stopped only once in the period of Indian history during the reign of Ranjit Singh, that these attacks were not only stopped, but also reversed back through the so called Darra e Khyber and his people were able to live in peace.
I leave it it to every individual to decide whether flight or fight is better in a given situation because they are the best judge of their own situation. Extreme of either flight or fight is bad.
You and Ravi have missed the point. Rottlord can say what he wants as long as it doesn't portray gun owners and lovers in a negative light. He has been cordial about understanding his error and we shall have him back on the board soon. While it is tempting to end an argument with a ban, to prove that mine is bigger...most of the mods have been there done that and have been on the board longer than most members.

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Zake
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Zake » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:29 pm

Just finished reading. All of it took a very interesting turn when rottlord came in. It's very hard to choose your actions in conditions such as the ones mentioned. Let's be honest here dev, there are people out there who has nothing but pure evil in mind. And rottlord is right about several things, like one can not compare a Tae-Kwon-do contest to a threat to life condition. Experienced guy like your self are much aware of that I believe. I mean in the contest the other guy has no intention of killing you and the whole situation is in a controlled environment. Unlike the streets. (That being said I meant to disrespect to anyone. Just stating my view people). The first situation rottlord mentioned, what would have been the right course of action ? There is no answer to that. There is no right action.

All that being said, I do agree with the whole theme of this thread. Jumping in a fight without or with little provocation is... well not smart and I do believe one needs to know which is his fight and which isn't. Running away at times can be the solution. But it shouldn't be the only solution ! Like all of you duly said don't draw the blade (since I'm a knife maniac) to show off ! But at times one must draw the blade. We have to consider that option as well.

About carrying a weapon, I actually think carrying a weapon can help one become more reasonable in the matter of using it (exception a few dumbnuts). For instance if you have a sharp enough blade that can do some damage with you and you get in a situation where you are tempted to get it out, several things come up in your head. "If I pull it out and use it, the guy can be seriously injured. Heck he can die !" "Is it necessary ? Is this the correct time ? Am I being hot headed ?"

Like they say "With great power comes great responsibility" .

Rottmeister
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Rottmeister » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:19 pm

Apologies to Naga; he missed out on his fees he was supposed to get for being the referee. But anyway, I feel the read is enough to make up for one.
The clash of honor calls -
To stand, when others fall.