Have gun, will not fear it anymore

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Have gun, will not fear it anymore

Post by indian » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:58 pm

i agree with marksman and abhijeet :) handling is the most important part of shooting and regarding caliber.........any gun in hand when needed is far beter than the most potent handgun in safe :) :)

For Advertising mail webmaster
TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:30 pm

You got a point there...
If one gets used to a more powerful gun and its recoil, then the 'Most powerful gun' they handle grade will increase appropriately. Also, when I mean 'powerful' I dont exactly mean caliber.. There may be some cases where a bigger caliber may be better balanced... and the bigger caliber need not necessarily mean more powerful, in the context of handguns and how much they aid in self-defense...

In all, if we can get to rephrase, can we say 'Have the most effective gun that one can handle'?
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Have gun, will not fear it anymore

Post by indian » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:32 pm

perfect tenx :)

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:04 pm

Hathiyaar apne haath ka aur saathi apne saath ka... - a weapon in whose use you are proficient and a companion/ friend on whom you can depend....
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:44 am

there are lots of documented evidence of people being good shots with "big" bore rifles before the age of 10 including one of my heroes Carpit sahib.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by msandhu » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:01 am

mundaire";p="57125 wrote:TenX,

Contrary to popular perception (myth), most large calibres do not require brawn to handle them effectively. Just a week or so back I was in Jaipur and a boy of 8 or so was quite sweetly shooting trap at the range there... using a full size 12 ga O/U without any stress... and this would not be the first boy of that age (or round abouts) I've seen handle a 12 ga with aplomb!

Cheers!
Abhijeet

Abhijeet,
You are right about controlling the gun and its true about people who shoot often. But for those who shoot rarely and who are newbies, handling a big gun or a big bore gun can be little difficult. I had such a experience. I tool two of my 2 cousins ( both of them over 6 ft and good built) to shooting range and i selected .45 glocks. after about 30-40 shots they clearly were neither liking it not enjoying it. In fact one said his wrist was hurting too ( might be because of improperly holding the gun). Next time we selected 9 mm's and they not only enjoyed it but were shooting much better also.
I on the other hand feel much comfortable with .40 or .45
IMHO its more about practice than about the size of a person.

Cheers
Mandeep

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:44 pm

I am not much into handguns and have never fired/handled anything over .32.

In India, I heard someone elaborating another persons physical prowess thus :

"Bhaisahab, Kya bataoon, Mr.X to paintalees ka katta ek haath se chala leta hai".

translated as:
Mr. X can fire a 0.45 bore handgun/?country made pistol with one hand. (no accounts of accuracy).

Dunno if thats a big feat.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.