Need to buy a gun that does not require a license

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Need to buy a gun that does not require a license

Post by timmy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:35 am

There is a difference between thief and determined attacker.
How does one discern the difference between a thief or a determined attacker, when they jump out from a hiding place, sneak up upon one while sleeping in bed, or march down the sidewalk in a group? Absent the opportunity in a split second to tell one from the other, I have serious doubts about one's ability to haul out a concealed air pistol and -- then what?

My own idea is that the terms of "thief" and "determined attacker" are ones that are applied after the fact, by someone describing an event.

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:19 am

I fully agree with you, one cannot rely on air-gun.

Rottmeister
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Rottmeister » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:26 pm

Yes, even I agree, but I just verified the fact in its fullest details. Thanks to Timmy.
The clash of honor calls -
To stand, when others fall.

talk2devid
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by talk2devid » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:14 pm

Dear, goodboy_mentor

Will it be possible to carry a crossbow like a handy airguns???? i just wanted to know from you.....there is any portable version of crossbow? :roll: :roll: which can carry easily??? :shock: :shock: also...i think we must look after purchase cost, i mean to say the cost of arrows. i think it is rather costly then steel or led palletes. :wink: :wink:

Thanks and Regards

David
catch me if you can

Rottmeister
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Rottmeister » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:20 pm

David, let me quote what the pros has to say - with a mere 5 ft lb of energy, there's not much harm one can inflict unless it's on the adam's apple or in the eyes, that too from a max of 10 feet distance. Yes, of course, these guns look like real ones and if your luck favors, the looks shall send a mugger running for cover.
The clash of honor calls -
To stand, when others fall.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:42 pm

David,

I am not interested in any sort of arguments. Facts always remain facts no matter if one agrees or disagrees.

1) It is a fact that stopping power of legally permissible airguns available in India is very poor. Crossbows are a very powerful weapons and for this are banned in some states in U.S.A. Even MARCOS commandos of Indian navy were provided with crossbows for silent killings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MARCOS_%28India%29

2)Question of "handiness" is very subjective. Even a glass bottle used properly can act as a deadly weapon. It all depends how comfortable a person is, in using "a weapon". Compared with air-gun, crossbow appears to be a better choice as a home defense weapon.

Example: It is a fact that Lee-Enfield rifles are very accurate rifles, they have been a standard issue to armed forces of British Empire. It is also a fact that Mumbai Police was not able to shoot a SINGLE terrorist with these very rifles. Well known excuse of police is .303 are not "handy" and no match for AK 47. Agreed, but nobody prevented the police to take defensive positions and fire accurate shots. But these jokers were simply not capable. Whereas the British troops were able to repel German troops with these very .303 rifles with such a rapid fire that Germans thought they are been fired upon with machine guns. They have also been instances in rural Punjab where people armed with 12 bore guns or bolt action rifles(after taking defensive positions behind walls, doors, windows etc.) were able to shoot/repel AK 47 armed terrorists.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee-Enfield
"First World War accounts tell of British troops repelling German attackers who subsequently reported that they had encountered machine guns, when in fact it was simply a group of trained riflemen armed with SMLE Mk III rifles."

If one wants to learn from his personal experience only and keep an air-gun as a self defense weapon, who on earth can stop him 8).

Regards
goodboy_mentor

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:06 am

David
Members have tried to advise you against using air guns or cross bows etc as self defense weapons. Police also doesnt take kindly to replica guns and in their eagerness or due to misunderstanding can easily record the gun as 'tamancha' or country made pistol and then its off to the judicial labyrinths to reverse the decision but first the court throws the book at you. Lesson from the wise look for alternate means of defense rather these half baked dangerous ideas. These posts can easily be misunderstood therefore I am locking this thread pending review by other mods