12 ga. Cartridges For Self Defence

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
browning
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

12 ga. Cartridges For Self Defence

Post by browning » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:46 pm

Which cartridges are best for self defence?

For Advertising mail webmaster
jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Cartridges For Self Defence

Post by jonahpach » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:02 pm

Which cartridges are best for self defence?
Cartridges by themselves arnt of much use for self defence.. Even a hockey stick would be much better! :)
That said, if you insist on using cartridges for self defence you could try a HP laserjet 5100 printer cartridge as they are quite bulky and maybe you could whack someone with it and give them a bad headache! :lol: :lol: If you want a really deadly cartridge a Bofors 155 mm cannon cartridge could even kill someone if you dropped one on somebodys head.. :lol: :lol:

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

Zafar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Zafar » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:41 pm

jonah i know you were joking but with it you should have explained the Unanswerable-ness of the question. it seems you were ragging a newbie or atleast taking a pot shot at a stranger.

btw browning the question you asked was like which pertol is best to impress your girlfriend ?
but for that you have to first find a bike to do the stunts and then worry about what octane will give you the best power.

shukriya
-
Zafar

browning
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by browning » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:19 pm

browning";p="42457 wrote:Which cartridges are best for self defence?
What i meant by my queation was that if i need to shoot a robber to protect myself or my household, which is the best cartridge to shoot that would not kill the guy but get him on the ground nice and proper, Ballshot, 7no......?

And Jonah, if u dont want to answer properly or think its a silly question dont waste urs as well as my time, stay away.

Thanks.
Last edited by browning on Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:45 am

Under ideal conditions buck shot would be the way to go,but since they are banned in India BB would be the best alternative.
At short ranges for home defense can be extremely lethal.

Shaktiman rifled slug or hollow point's are a good option too.

HTH

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:06 am

12 gauge slugs in a confined space (like a room) suffer from the innate disadvantage of over penetration - at that range it's almost certain to go completely through the assailant and then hit whatever is beyond, that is if you actually manage to hit him in the heat of the moment. There is a distinct possibility of it even going through thin partition walls...

Birdshot on the other hand will not "put down" an assailant immediately, but will definitely cause enough pain and bleeding to make him rethink his course of action, without the danger of overpentrating ammo and the spread of pellets eliminates the need for taking proper aim. Of course the spread of shot also means that you need to take care you don't end up hitting an innocent who is positioned close to the assailant.

IMHO buckshot (I'd suggest SG) with a short barrel (better handling at close quarters) is really the best way to go - but unfortunately you cannot buy/ possess it legally in India - neither can you own a shotgun with barrels less than 20" in length :roll:

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

browning
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by browning » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:20 am

Thanks, Sanjay sir and Abhijit sir.
Last edited by browning on Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mashh1
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by mashh1 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:47 pm

browning,
if it is not in Shot gun, i would have said 5.56x45 with out any second thought, even if its not on AR platform. i personally load my shot gun with #4 buck shot of reduced recoil cartridges. in your scenario, can you get BBB or BB than it will be fine.
regards

browning
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by browning » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:41 pm

mashh1";p="42500 wrote:browning,
if it is not in Shot gun, i would have said 5.56x45 with out any second thought, even if its not on AR platform. i personally load my shot gun with #4 buck shot of reduced recoil cartridges. in your scenario, can you get BBB or BB than it will be fine.
regards
Thanks.

Khan_Imran
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Khan_Imran » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:29 pm

Hi
Always rely on hand guns for personal safety. Bullets are more lethal then cartridges which are best used for hunting game birds.

browning
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by browning » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:07 pm

Last edited by browning on Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:58 pm

hi mate
i would agree with Abhijeet.

with shotgun in confined space, slugs as said is out. other shot as mentioned should be used.

However do not forget the bloody loud bang a shot gun would make and that is a bonus point. that would scare lot of small time thugs into packing a spare undies.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Khan_Imran
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Khan_Imran » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:02 pm

Hi
If you possess two shot guns you should use a buckshot which would be ideal for self defense as it can instantly eliminate the aggressor in an event of a highly volatile, dangerous situation requiring immediate remedial action As far as my weapons collection is concerned I have a variety of Shot Guns including a Beretta O/U and S/S. My favorite is the Beretta Semi automatic Pistol that I always carry carefully concealed. I also have a AK / 47 that my guard carries around the clock.

browning
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by browning » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:40 pm

Last edited by browning on Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

mashh1
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by mashh1 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:00 pm

i would prefer to carry a shoulder mounted gun for any sort of self defense in comparison to any handgun, because they offer more precise shot placement, better stopping power, usually have more rounds (as i have a brace of 38 special revolvers as my night guns but a single Berreta have more rounds than my pair but less than any good rifle). i believe in old saying of wild west which i think is still applicable “handgun is what you use to fight your way to the rifle that you should not have set down in the first place).
the over penetration of slug is a concern where peolple lives in apartment or houses made of thin wall, but as a normal house on my side is build with 9.5" thick brick walls, i don't see a danger of penetration through walls, although it can go through all the way from target and hurt somebody standing behind.
P.S buckshot is not available in local market and there is rumor that POF WAH is not manufacturing them any more, so i think its time to start storing them.