12 ga. Cartridges For Self Defence

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
raj
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: 12 ga. Cartridges For Self Defence

Post by raj » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:18 pm

jaz wrote:hi,
how you people rate BB special 30g by IOF in case of self defence.
With approximately 70pellets,BB shotgun shell can take down a mob(if shot at >50yards).
Ace_doc wrote:i rate it as a good load if penetration thru wood or metal is not an issue. at 25 yds the bb goes thru cgi sheet ( suboptimally but yes). the no 1 does not penetrate at all.giving all details may invoke the zap. use bb or slugs if ur wpn supports that cart. :P
yupp, penetration is quit less as compared to slugs .

Raj
---I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be the one controlling it.

---"Slow is Smooth,Smooth is Fast"

For Advertising mail webmaster
Ace_doc
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ace_doc » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:18 pm

sorry bud! the mob may go down but not for good. remember when i was an intern i saw a case where two rds of 12 g were fired at a wedding procession by an irate lover . although 20 people were injured none was serious. even the pellets were not extracted as the procedure would have caused more damage than the projectiles.

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:38 pm

So in the Indian scenario what is the best load in a shotgun for self defense?
AMK
--------------------------------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:45 pm

amk wrote:So in the Indian scenario what is the best load in a shotgun for self defense?
Slug/ball/BB

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:40 pm

And since this comes from you I presume these are legal and readily available in India?

I know what Slug is. Ball as in single lead ball? Does BB have shot sizes/numbers, what number/size is best?
AMK
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:26 pm

BB is a number referencing the size of shot used, see my post on the previous page in this thread:
Shot sizes (as per American numbering) are listed here - http://www.shotgunworld.com/ammo_s082000.html
British (the numbering system used in India) & European shot size numbering is listed at - http://www.hallowellco.com/shot_size_chart.htm
Birdshot sizes largest to smallest would be BBB > BB > No. 1 all the way down to No. 9

The smaller sizes are not always readily available as (I imagine) most people buy self-defence loads for their shotguns, so you'll most commonly see KF No. 1 or BB being retailed all over the place...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by msandhu » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:30 pm

IN both the US and UK shot size charts , there is no mention of LG shot shells. Where do they stand ?
Regards
Mandeep

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:26 pm

At the very top of the multi-projectile shotshell list. Each shot is .36" in dia, weighs 69.7 grains and there are six to a cartridge. In the U.S. it is known as 000 Buck.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:43 pm

AMK- the mandate would be -firepower supremacy.
6x 36 cal lead balls from a LG or 9x 32 cal lead balls from a SG (as it was known, now banned) would cause a fair bit of havoc at most contact ranges.Depends on what you want to do...stop him dead or tickle the tail feathers.I The 1 oz.ball , topped up with no.6 bird shot is reputed to have earned its chevrons with the jungle warfare teams in malaya in the 50's and nam in 70's.Those guys must know!
fI its tickling the tail feathers, 'salt loads' are par for the game. Remind me to about the 'water load' in a 12 GA. Whe you are buying... and thats for real
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:40 pm

eljefe, thanks for that. I understood it like this ..... gobledeegook....gobble gobble... gookdegobble ... ROTFL As you may have noticed, I don't have much knowledge of long guns and the loads :D

As per what is legal and available in India, what is the best load for self defense, and by self defense I mean to stop one/multiple perpetrator/s in their tracks.
AMK

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:11 pm

amk wrote:
As per what is legal and available in India, what is the best load for self defense, and by self defense I mean to stop one/multiple perpetrator/s in their tracks.
BB would be best,however if your gun patterns well then upto 20 yds even bird shot No 4 or 6 will be very effective.
It will pepper the target bet the head & waist inflicting serious damage.

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:59 pm

Thanks Sanjay. To make it clear, I don't have any kind of long gun yet. I plan to get one, contemplating between a .22 rifle, a larger than .22 bore rifle and a shottie. I live in the city and will never get to fire the shottie or larger bore rifle unless I travel out. OTOH, I can practice with the .22 rifle at the range.

But I've always wished to own a shotgun, especially a pump action :oops:
AMK

Ace_doc
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ace_doc » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:20 pm

:deadhorse:
the slug is the best manstopper if collateral damage is not a worry.
rest agree with sanjay bb works.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:19 pm

Ace_Doc, as suggested earlier in this thread, I too would worry about over penetration if using slugs within the confines of a home... after all we are talking about sub-20 feet distances (if that)... besides with slugs you tend to loose out on the biggest advantage of using a shotty - the ability to dispense with any kind of requirement for accurate shot placement!

Not many of those who face up to a home defence situation are going to be trained enough to be able to effectively master their fear/ surprise/ excitement etc. well enough to be able to actually think about placing proper shots, it is precisely in these conditions that a shotgun loaded with buckshot can truly shine... of course buckshot being prohibited in India (go figure :roll: ) the next best thing would be BBB or BB or even (as Sanjay mentioned) birdshot... even with No. 7 or 6 a direct faceshot means a blind attacker and he isn't going to be able to do you much damage if he cannot see you - eh? :P

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:59 pm

Since the vast majority of the homes in India have brick walls,over penetration should not be that big an issue as it would be if the walls were made of boards.