12 ga. Cartridges For Self Defence

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
raj
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: 12 ga. Cartridges For Self Defence

Post by raj » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:32 pm

MoA wrote:Help a un-informed person out.

What is this Shaktiman Cartridge? Who manufactures it, and a phtograph would be much appreciated?
Is it a Brenekke?
hi,
"Shaktiman Express" are a brand of cartridges made by "Dwarka Arms Stores" Bellary(Karnataka).I have seen 12 & 16 gauge cartridges.here are the pictures:

Regards
Raj
---I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be the one controlling it.

---"Slow is Smooth,Smooth is Fast"

For Advertising mail webmaster
17H
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by 17H » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:37 pm

Are private manufacturers allowed to produce ammo in india?

Bruno22
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bruno22 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi,
I think there are 12 bore cartridges that are used to shoot locust or mosquitoes when the turn up in swarms. These are number 0 and 1 (seniors please correct me if I am wrong) These have very minimal 'killing' power. Maybe you could use something like that to scare the daylights out of the robber rather than having to scrape parts of him off your windowsill. Any way in my opinion just pointing a loaded 12 gauge should do the trick rather than shooting unless you are up against real hardened dacoits.
Bruno22
THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN PEACE, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN WAR.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:48 pm

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:05 am

Raj,

Thankyou for the information and pictures.
The cartridge in the middle looks very funky...
Any idea if these are being exported.

17H
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by 17H » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:05 am

penpusher wrote:A google search turned this up http://www.indianexpress.com/news/mp-lo ... dge/14894/
Sad piece indeed, but the cynic in me feels that in India we cannot run a business without resorting to trickery such as this. Cannot blame the owner of the firm, nor the retired judge. Each one for him/ herself. :x

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:53 am

Bruno22 wrote:Hi,
I think there are 12 bore cartridges that are used to shoot locust or mosquitoes when the turn up in swarms. These are number 0 and 1 (seniors please correct me if I am wrong) These have very minimal 'killing' power. Maybe you could use something like that to scare the daylights out of the robber rather than having to scrape parts of him off your windowsill. Any way in my opinion just pointing a loaded 12 gauge should do the trick rather than shooting unless you are up against real hardened dacoits.
Bruno22
Shot sizes (as per American numbering) are listed here - http://www.shotgunworld.com/ammo_s082000.html
British (the numbering system used in India) & European shot size numbering is listed at - http://www.hallowellco.com/shot_size_chart.htm

Shot size smaller than No. 12 is known as dust shot, and is probably what you are referring to.

Ideally I'd be using a handgun in a SD scenario, but if I was in a pinch and absolutely had to use a shotgun I wouldn't use dust shot on an attacker... neither would I use a slug! In the absence of buckshot (being illegal in India) I'd stick to shot sizes BB or No. 1.... and I'd be aiming for their faces! I'd rather live and face a trial for using excessive force than be cremated on the banks of the holy Ganges :P

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:27 am

Abhijeet...
My feelings exactly. '00
I keep five in the magazine...for just that. And the O/U for backup.
If I need anything beyond that... I dont think anything not belt fed will help.

coltpython
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by coltpython » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:26 pm

Hi,
I would prefer a pair of LG's or alphamax in my gun for self defense. :)

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:29 pm

Why and when exactly were buck shots made illegal? I believe some dealers still sell old stock, is that true?

AMK

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:08 pm

amk wrote:Why and when exactly were buck shots made illegal? I believe some dealers still sell old stock, is that true?

AMK
AMK check out http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... =15#p15774
1.Notification No. G.S.R. 375(E)[June 21, 1980] declared all multiple projectile cartridges in which the size of any or all projectiles was larger than or equal to 5mm as prohibited

2.Notification No. G.S.R. 376(E)[June 21, 1980] prohibited the import of all such cartridges

Both these notifications came into force the day they were published in the Official Gazette

3.Notification No. G.S.R. 378(E) dated June 23, 1980 [No. V 11012/4/80-GPA.V] as amended by GSR 674(E) dated Aug. 29,1983 exempted all licensee's and licensed dealers posessing such cartridges from the provisions of the first notification(Notification No. G.S.R. 375(E)[June 21, 1980] )subject to the conditions that a) they shall be registered with the nearest police station within one month of this notification and that b) they shall be converted to numbered cartridges within 4 years from the date of the publication of this notification.
HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

sawbones
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sawbones » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:51 am

Hey guys

any of u remember the use of rock salt by the old plantation owners.
loaded into shotgun shells it would hurt and sting like hell Not be too lethal and the salt dissolves in sample containers leaving no evidence . Historical fact from the days of the raj with huge plantations in India Burma and Ceylon But yes the risk is of the guy coming back to settle accounts.

Regards

sawbones
The impossible just takes more time

jaz
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jaz » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:43 pm

hi,
how you people rate BB special 30g by IOF in case of self defence.

Timnorris
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Timnorris » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:31 pm

shotguns are good self defence weapons because you can fire quick shots without bothering to precisely aim at the target and since it does not have much penetreation compared to Rifles it is safe to use for home defence.......

Ace_doc
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ace_doc » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:05 pm

i rate it as a good load if penetration thru wood or metal is not an issue. at 25 yds the bb goes thru cgi sheet ( suboptimally but yes). the no 1 does not penetrate at all.giving all details may invoke the zap. use bb or slugs if ur wpn supports that cart. :P