.32 JHP Ammo

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:35 pm

Witnesses said rifle...I tend to believe them due to the presentation
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: .32 JHP Ammo

Post by Pran » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:39 pm

Thanks Jefe.
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:12 pm

mundaire wrote:Hmm... so no regular supply with anyone... I thought it might be something like that, as the .32 S&W Long is NOT on the list of calibres/ cartridges that are allowed to be imported by dealers. The only imported .32 S&W Long cartridges that are usually available are the target load wadcutters that pistol shooters import... some of these eventually find their way to the open market at high prices - even though they are totally useless for any self-defence use!

As stopping power is concerned how effective .32 JHP would be :?: James

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:13 pm

james";p="36120 wrote:As stopping power is concerned how effective .32 JHP would be :?: James
Depends on the bullet (projectile) design. But if it's a good bullet, all things being equal, the JHP should deliver more energy onto the target. This, as JHP's are designed to "flower" (expand) on impact, thus creating a larger wound channel AND preventing the bullet from zipping through the target, in stead of staying in and dumping all it's energy onto the intended target.

In conclusion, all things being equal, simply changing the bullet design from FMJ to JHP will NOT increase the muzzle energy BUT will improve the delivery of that energy onto the target.

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:04 pm

.32 ACP HP's would increase the possibility of rim lock

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:06 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply ,under indian condictions it can be concluded that .45 and .357 being rare and .32 and .22 being common , .32 jhp is the best option for self defence. :idea: James......

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:34 pm

James, google for- dimaio and wound ballistics...

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:39 pm

james";p="36134 wrote:Thanks for the prompt reply ,under indian condictions it can be concluded that .45 and .357 being rare and .32 and .22 being common , .32 jhp is the best option for self defence. :idea: James...
I would NOT put it like that AT ALL... there is simply no comparison between the .32 S&W Long (rimmed revolver cartridge, which is being discussed on this thread) and calibres like .357 mag, .45 Long Colt, .45 ACP, .44, .38 Special, .40 S&W, 9mm, 10mm etc. etc. Pretty much all of the popular handgun calibres are more powerful than the .32 S&W Long as well as for that matter the .32 ACP. And even with lead slugs or FMJ bullets they will "outperform" a .32 shooting JHP's any day of the week!!

Like I said earlier, a JHP bullet WILL NOT (ceteris paribus) produce more energy as compared to a regular lead slug or a FMJ bullet of the same calibre/ cartridge. It WILL HOWEVER transfer more energy onto the target... and that too if it is a well designed and well made bullet... not all of these JHP's fall into that category (even imported ammo comes in various flavours of varying quality).

Also as penpusher points out above, if one is using a semi-auto pistol, NOT ALL semi-auto pistols can reliably feed cartridges loaded with JHP bullets... in some cases modifications to the pistol frame itself may be required to ensure that it will properly and reliably feed JHP cartridges. For example in the original 1911 design, the frame is required to be cut in a certain so that the standard barrel can be replaced with a "ramped" barrel. As you can well imagine, procuring such parts AS WELL AS finding a gunsmith competent enough to carry out such modifications on your pistol will be an uphill task... Unless of course you have a pistol of more modern design, which was designed and built to accommodate such ammunition. Do keep in mind that even now NOT all current production pistols are designed/ built this way...

JHP ammo should not be a problem with revolvers though, so long as you can find such ammo!

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:54 pm

2 points guys:

Be careful of JHP bullets in weak ammo; expansion may result in not enough penetration and just superficial wounds.

The original USGI 1911A1s feed JHP without any problem; no need to aggressively polish no need for ramped barrels. I have shot a few HPs from mine without a hiccup. The fangled wadcutters (and Semi-WC) could prove to be a problem.
AMK
--------------------------------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:02 pm

amk";p="36180 wrote:The original USGI 1911A1s feed JHP without any problem; no need to aggressively polish no need for ramped barrels. I have shot a few HPs from mine without a hiccup. The fangled wadcutters (and Semi-WC) could prove to be a problem.
AMK was basing my comments on what I read on The Sight. I haven't really seen/ handled a ramped barrel 1911 myself...

**Edit** Just checked and can't seem to find the reference there, simply advice to use JHP ammo which is as close as possible in profile to the original hardball ammo... guess I either read it some other place or was mistaken...

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:32 pm

Abhi (Can I call you Abhi?),

I base my comments from my learnings on the various 1911 boards I frequent.

It is an accepted fact that the USGI 1911s are much more reliable compared to modern 1911s as they were built to exact specs and with great tolerances inbuilt; the modern 1911s are built with an element of accuracy too. When you want accuracy you have to tighten up the tolerances. Also, the newer 1911 makers sometimes don't follow the spec to the point to enable the various newer kind of bullet designs (WC/SWC/Lo Press). This reliability applies to issues such as feeding, misfiring, etc. Of course modern metals and techniques/machinery are much better than earlier so the newer 1911s are tougher and will last longer (arguable).
AMK
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:22 pm

the 'unsupported' area of the 45 case when in battery,was for a long time its nemesis.
a start was made to overcome this, ( I think Tom Ferguson, in the late 80's) using a strengthened case, and finally, a barrel mod to reduce this area-not that the 45 auto was anemic, but a good cal suddenly became factory HOT!
Top this with a ramped and throat job, good lock up, lowered port etc and it will feed with out a burp-lethal down range too :evil:

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:30 pm

Eljefe, can you post some links for me to read about what you've written.

Honestly, I've not entirely understood what you've written :-) (my shortcoming)

AMK
AMK

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm

amk wrote:Abhi (Can I call you Abhi?),
Sure, I've been called worse... the latest was "despot" (by a fellow IFG member) ;) :lol:
amk wrote:I base my comments from my learnings on the various 1911 boards I frequent.

It is an accepted fact that the USGI 1911s are much more reliable compared to modern 1911s as they were built to exact specs and with great tolerances inbuilt; the modern 1911s are built with an element of accuracy too. When you want accuracy you have to tighten up the tolerances. Also, the newer 1911 makers sometimes don't follow the spec to the point to enable the various newer kind of bullet designs (WC/SWC/Lo Press). This reliability applies to issues such as feeding, misfiring, etc. Of course modern metals and techniques/machinery are much better than earlier so the newer 1911s are tougher and will last longer (arguable).
I agree, the USGI pistols were indeed built to looser tolerances with reliability (over accuracy) in mind. Unfortunately I've only been able to source hardball FMJ ammo so far and as to the rest I have no first hand experience either. BTW we are veering OT but have you tried "throating" your 1911 barrel? Or any of the other mods that online writers seems to recommend?

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:22 pm

No, I didn't feel the need to throat it as it was feeding FMJs and the few JHPs I had reliably.

A really well respected member of the board I frequent says a USGI 1911 in good nick doesn't require, throating, polishing, or other mods to feed FMJs and good quality JHPs. However, magazines are a very important component for 1911 reliability.

My friend has shot around 10 JHPs from his Colt and another even more from his Colt without any hiccups.

I am down to my last 3 JHPs; very difficult to source them.

That word "despot" sure is a funny word!

AMK
AMK