.32 JHP Ammo

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: .32 JHP Ammo

Post by timmy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:22 am

I find this person's tests of .32 ACP ammo to be quite interesting. I understand that various brands may be difficult to acquire in India, but this person has tested such a wide range of ammo that his work may be interesting:

.32 ACP Ammo Tests

Regarding the 1911, my Dad was a member of his regimental target team in the US Army before WW2. (He served thru the entire war in the 3rd Inf. Division, 7th Regiment.)

Dad said that he would go to the armorer, with whom he had an "in" do to his being on the target team, and they would disassemble a number of 1911s. He said that they would put a slide in a vise and squeeze it to achieve a tighter fit to a frame. I assume that the fitting that then took place was to achieve a good feed ramp match and a tighter bushing to barrel match.

My own 1911 is a Series 70, which has the "collet bushing," consisting of 4 spring-loaded fingers that grip the barrel positively with no clearance. The weapon shoots better than I can, and in my younger days when my eyesight was better, I was able to reliably place ten shots in the black at 25 yards.

Upper left: my 1911 Series 70, with Pachmayr grips. I have smoothed the feed ramp for reliable loading and installed an aftermarket "long trigger," which has an adjustment for overtravel. The sights are non-adjustable, which I like, because they are the most non-obtrusive for carry and are right on for range work with a number of loads. (I also cast bullets for my reloading of .45 ACP)

Upper right: Chinese Norinco M213 in 9mm, a modification of the Soviet TT33. Very reliable. The machining is crude, as is the finish. It is pretty heavy.

Lower left: Czech Cz50 in .32 ACP. It looks like a Walther, but is a different design. Double action and very safe. It is a natural pointer, well made and nicely blued. Replacement of magazine springs cured a feed/jamming problem.

Lower right: Czech Cz52 in 7.62 x 25. A single action semi auto with a hammer blocking safety and a trigger operated firing pin lock. Uses a roller lock action, where the slide works straight back with the barrel in a short recoil operation, but the barrel does not tilt. It unlocks from the slide by a pair of rollers in the sides. Very well made, parkerized (phosphate) finish, and much lighter than the Norinco. To shoot, it suffers from the grip angle problem, just like the Norinco.

For Advertising mail webmaster
indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:45 am

nice guns and a nice link timmy :) BTW which gun do you carry the most??the most probable imported 32 ammo you would find in india will be magtech and S&B.

Cheers :)

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:07 am

Thank you -- I seldom carry unless I'm going on a trip. I don't like the idea of being marooned on the highway by a vehicle failure out in the middle of nowhere. I've had a couple of other incidents where having a handgun was a good thing, tho it was not necessary to draw it.

I used to carry the Colt Detective Special .38 that I showed in a previous pic, but now I have been using the Cz50 .32 ACP. It is so small and compact that I've been carrying it in a camera case, and it is quite handy.

I've range-tested it for function since replacing the magazine spring and it seems quite reliable now.

Not only is it much smaller than the snubby, it is so flat that lays against the body quite naturally.

I've done some watchman duties for my older son late at night and in those cases, I don't even bother with a holster -- it fits in my pocket.

I also use the S&B ball (FMJ), loaded alternately with Cor-Bon.

Besides the S&B, I've used RWS and Remington. I've got access to Aguila, Fiocchi, but haven't tried them. The rest that is listed on the Golden Loki site I linked may be around, but I don't see it in my everyday world. I got several boxes of Cor-Bon from a gun show awhile back and keep what's left after range-testing it for operation. The stuff comes in 25 round boxes and is very expensive, so I shoot the cheaper ball at the range.

For the home and that sort of thing, I have an old 16 gauge pump that I sawed off to 18 inches. When I get some long gun pics, I will post them.

SARGE7402
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by SARGE7402 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:54 am

If .32 JHP are more readily available for the .32 ACP (semi-automatic cartridge), they can (in a pinch) be used in any well maintaned .32 Long revolver made for smokeless loads.

Yes, they will chamber. No they will not slide thru (.32 ACP is semi rimmed).
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’

sitar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re:

Post by sitar » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:09 am

Pran wrote:
Shot from a rifle or a country-made 'khatta'?

Pran
:shock:
Irrespective of the direction of the wind, the smoke from the cigarette will always tend to go to the non-smoker.

Ace_doc
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ace_doc » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:45 am

Ever tried cross filing the nose of the RNL KF round ? have done it on my .22 (IOf) got great results . the .22 lr cross filed goes appx 3/4 ths of a std directory. the devastation produced is to be seen to be believed :cheers:

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:03 am

Ace_doc wrote:Ever tried cross filing the nose of the RNL KF round ? have done it on my .22 (IOf) got great results . the .22 lr cross filed goes appx 3/4 ths of a std directory. the devastation produced is to be seen to be believed :cheers:
Wouldn't this cause the .22 LR bullet to shatter on impact?
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:48 pm

No, Mundaire. Lead, being so soft, will not shatter at .22 RF velocities. It will just expand more readily and mushroom more. It would take much higher impact velocity, around 2300 fps, for lead to shatter into small slivers, judging from X-rays of game taken with a softpoint jacketed bullet. "Hardcast" lead bullets may behave differently, but then they, too, are not loaded to such high velocity. Cross-filing the point won't help accuracy, though; and the .22 RF bullet usually mushrooms nicely in most brands. Cheers.

Ace_doc
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ace_doc » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:22 pm

i got the idea online from "shooting with hobie" search for SGB (small game bullet) and u shall get the low down.i modded both elley match and KF stuff. although the round does not feed well from a mag the truncated and split nose mushrooms far more than what happens other wise. i forgot to mention that i had filed down the bullet to little more than half its standard size.

-- Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:22 pm --

Take care!
Last edited by Ace_doc on Fri May 01, 2009 12:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:33 pm

Ace_doc wrote:although the round does not feed well from a mag -- Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:22 pm --
Was the directory dry or wet
can we have some pics?
JHP's have a long established reputation for poor feeding
The part about drilling the 22 lead bullet etc and 'bye bye fingers'is a bit of a tosh.So stop being a cassandra and
a. Spreading disinformation
b. think that you're the first person to have done so...
c.A file and 3rd rate IOf 22lr do not a ballistician make.
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Ace_doc
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ace_doc » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:28 am

The directory was dry.no pics at present shall update some after doing the whole gig again.the part bout drilling the bullet and bbye ffingers is not "tosh". the bullet gets hot while being soldered sealed. why dont u try something before u scoff it ? rest lets agree to disagree .
hope we meet sometime buddy .......................................
rest i have always had a good grade in my forensic exams (not ballistics) but the info is on the web for u to see and try.
:shock:
rest u have a pm

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Fri May 01, 2009 12:00 pm

"...why dont u try something before u scoff it ?..."

Well, its tosh because- I have done a lot of stuff with a dremel moto tool (at 30,000 rpm) and 22 KF,in 1984 (obviously when you were beyond scoffing??)and in India... all fingers intact,not once did the round(s) go close to HOT hot.soldering also uses other stuff like flux, heat sinks and worst case scenario, araldite. BUT i dont post about it
Disinformation -because you've done it before, and are flouting simple safety rules.you read the rules before signing on? As a newbie 22 owner, i too tried all sort off bullet profiles. As a responsible person, I dont post my misadventures here.

Disinformation-giving WRONG info not necessarily untruths-as defined by eljefe, mod, not wiki,

(in this case, some first timer green behind the ear kid might try this and hurt himself and blame US, the IFG for this bad info.capisce?)

I appreciate your keen interest in all things guns, however, there still are a lot of people who DO ballistics the hard way and dont fall back on wiki or the millions of GB of tosh floating around the net as the gospel truth.
The 'flying ashtray' was a 44mag bullet, at about 200grns, popularised by Dean grennel in the 80's [possibly elmer Keith before him, aka flying oil can] which had a perfect cylindrical profile, and a supposed ly great home defense value. All I can say is, getting hit with a 44 mag at about 22-2400fps would make me curl up and die, regardless of bullet profile.
As for the hope we meet sometime buddy-is it a thinly veiled threat? I can handle that, no sweat. Metaphorically, and otherwise.
so we agree to disagree
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Ace_doc
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ace_doc » Fri May 01, 2009 12:20 pm

NO THREAT! only when u meet face to face can u communicate . well thanks for the moderate post am deleting my earlier post as a retraction.
hope that buries the hatchet.
what say shall we bring on the pipe of peace?
in the future please just zap the post. i agree now that this may lead to accidents and stand corrected.

-- Fri May 01, 2009 1:21 pm --